electric fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SBJ":3oybozxg said:
Trevanion":3oybozxg said:
There's only one way to get rid of a mole...

giphy-5-1571842666.gif

Trainee neophyte":3oybozxg said:
You can get humane mole traps, apparently, but then you have to release your mole into the wild (or Roger's front paddock). City folks have funny ideas.

You really can't get much more humane than scissor traps, it only takes a pinch to off a mole since they're so fragile, scissor trap is pretty much instant, can't get any more humane than instant.
Umm, not killing a mole would be infinitely more humane wouldn't it? How sick do you have to be to think that killing stuff is the best option?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So what do you recommend then ? Ask them to go very nicely ?

SBJ":1nn8rb8k said:
Umm, not killing a mole would be infinitely more humane wouldn't it? How sick do you have to be to think that killing stuff is the best option?

Have you ever walked across a mole infested field and had your foot sink four inches into the ground with every other step?

If you've got an alternative "best option" I'd love to hear it, I don't enjoy killing the animals but the unfortunate fact of it is, there really is no other way to deal with them. A scissor trap is pretty much the only way I can guarantee quick, painless, and discriminatory results. If I were to use strong poison, Mr. Badger would dig him out once he got whiff of him and eat him and end up poisoned himself, then the carrion feeders would end up poisoned after feeding on Mr. Badger and so on...

SBJ":j9ylhzs1 said:

As someone who hates killing animals with the exception of rats which I happily shoot I seriously wish I knew an effective alternative control method. I believe poisoning is illegal these days and I wouldn't want to do that anyway.
I've tried all sorts, researched on line and discussed the issue at length with many local experts, we live in a rural village so there are plenty of knowledgeable people and I don't believe there is a better alternative.

You presumably don't have moles in your garden? If so you're lucky, there are an estimated 40m moles in the UK so a mole for every 1.5 people including all the city dwellers.
I've probably got your family share as well as my own. :lol:

Trainee neophyte":37yl9n0a said:
RogerS":37yl9n0a said:
Trainee neophyte":37yl9n0a said:
What I don't know is if what Amazon is selling is any good, .....

The Fumond Taupe is useless
I don't have moles, so not up to speed, but the smokes that kill have been banned, and the other things are designed to make the worms leave, which in theory makes the moles leave, in a vegan, organic way. With extra cuddles and a polite note.
You can get humane mole traps, apparently, but then you have to release your mole into the wild (or Roger's front paddock). City folks have funny ideas.
Why would anyone want to rid their land of worms? Worms are a sign of healthy soil and with the unfortunate consequences of attracting moles.
Russell

Roger, Trevanion Lons, if you value your precious lawns over the value of a/several moles lives, and are happy with the 'humane' way you kill them your priorities are way off in my opinion! (By the way there is no such thing as humanely killing something, it's a bit of an oxymoron to make yourself feel better)

Do you have any actual experience of moles and the damage they can do to several acres of grazing land and to the grazing animals? I couldn’t really care less about the house lawn as it’s mostly moss anyway.

I knew a game keeper in Somerset who was constantly being ordered by the lady of the manor to kill the badgers and moles.
When he replied in any way about "laws" animal freedoms" or any other tree huggers slogans, her reply was always the same. " if one of my horses falls down a badger / mole hole and I have to have it shot, you and your family are out of that tied cottage the same day".
Everything has a value, and the most valuable item is the most important item.

"Humane" can be replaced with "non suffering" if so desired.

SBJ":357oaq0f said:
Roger, Trevanion Lons, if you value your precious lawns over the value of a/several moles lives, and are happy with the 'humane' way you kill them your priorities are way off in my opinion! (By the way there is no such thing as humanely killing something, it's a bit of an oxymoron to make yourself feel better)

How about cricket pitches made unplayable? Bowling green? Or very very rare plants that are the only ones left in the country. Or a horse having to be put down because it broke its leg due to the mole hill/hole?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kind of interesting how the thread has morphed from electrocuting our pets to murdering moles. :wink: :lol: I say that in jest so don't get bent out of shape. #-o

With the separation of mankind from the food sources comes a skewed view of the world around us. We get bent out of shape over a little animal dying in some fashion but have no problem with our cat catching that critter, playing with it for a while until it dies and bringing the prize to the back door matt. Okay some people would prefer the cat bury it in the corner of the garden. :wink:
We have a long way to go don't we? :(

Pete

Inspector":2m3dk9p8 said:
Kind of interesting how the thread has morphed from electrocuting our pets to murdering moles. :wink: :lol: I say that in jest so don't get bent out of shape. #-o

With the separation of mankind from the food sources comes a skewed view of the world around us. We get bent out of shape over a little animal dying in some fashion but have no problem with our cat catching that critter, playing with it for a while until it dies and bringing the prize to the back door matt. Okay some people would prefer the cat bury it in the corner of the garden. :wink:

Pete

I'd probably bury the cat ! :twisted:

Best not tell Stuart about the now zero rabbit count or my plans for two rogue Sika deer.

We had a cat that was raised in the house. We moved to an acreage because the rent was cheap. The cat took several months before it would leave the back deck. To my sister's disdain I named it Chicken S***. When it finally did venture into the world it discovered voles, mice, moles and rabbits. Almost every day there would be one or two dead things on the back door matt. One morning I got up to go work and went outside. The cat had a mouse and placed it in the middle of the gravel driveway turn around. The cat walked away and watched the mouse stir and then start making its way to the lawn. Just before the mouse made it the cat would run up and pounce on it, bat it around for a couple minutes before taking it back to the middle again. After the third time I saw this I figured the mouse had endured enough, I didn't know how long this had gone on, so I walked out and stomped on it with my work boot. The cat ran out to the now non-suffering mouse, sniffed it, batted it a couple times, looked at me with disdain and walked away to find another.
We aren't the only thing hunting for pleasure. :wink:

To those of you putting forward the argument that cats or other animals will hunt and kill other animals, somehow it doesn't surprise me that you are somehow aligning yourselves to the intellect of animals.

Sunnybob, do you think the Lady of the Manor was right? She seems like a nasty piece of work to me.

Horses breaking legs, cricket pitches, bowling green, the rarest planet in the universe haha, guys you miss the point. Killing moles is not humane. I'm certain that if you tried you could combat the issue without just killing stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dealing ... e&ie=UTF-8

RogerS":2t1uijgv said:
Inspector":2t1uijgv said:

Pete

Best not tell Stuart about the now zero rabbit count or my plans for two rogue Sika deer.
I'm not sure what goading me with your plans to more animals inhumanely does. What point are you making? Just showing me that you're happy to kill things to protect your garden?

SBJ":2sfmkgpi said:
RogerS":2sfmkgpi said:
Inspector":2sfmkgpi said:

Pete

I'm not sure what goading me with your plans to more animals inhumanely does. What point are you making? Just showing me that you're happy to kill things to protect your garden?

No we eat the rabbits and the deer destined to an early grave will also be gralloched.

Is your point the manner of despatch or simply not to kill any vermin ? If the answer is the latter then presumably you're quite happy for rats etc to profligate ? Are you a vegan, by any chance ?

Fstt fstt growl. :twisted:

A couple years ago we had a fox den a couple hundred yards from the house. We have a couple 5 pound dogs and didn't want them to become critter dinner. We called the conservation office and asked if they would come and trap and relocate them. They said "No. If we come we will kill them because if we relocate them they become someone else problem." That left us with either killing them ourselves or leaving them alone, keeping the dogs close and going out with them at night for bathroom breaks. We left the foxes alone. In the fall the mom and four kits moved on. A secondary benefit was the prairie dogs here were much reduced but the coyotes were attracted to the den, wanting the fox kits for food. Those coyotes got aggressive and charged the next door neighbour's Shepards at the fence line. The neighbour would have left them alone except for that and the male coyote was shot. Something will always die whether we do it or nature does. Civilization messes with the natural order of things. To minimize it we need to reduce the number of people but you'll never convince the world to voluntarily do that.

Pete

RogerS":26lirlyp said:
SBJ":26lirlyp said:
RogerS":26lirlyp said:
Inspector said:

Pete

No we eat the rabbits and the deer destined to an early grave will also be gralloched.

Is your point the manner of despatch or simply not to kill any vermin ? If the answer is the latter then presumably you're quite happy for rats etc to profligate ? Are you a vegan, by any chance ?
My original point was that it isn't possible to kill anything humanely. Moles included.

Control of vermin which spread diseases needs to be managed and it should be done in a way that causes the least amount of suffering.

Am I a vegan? Yes, I am. I'm sure if you were to scrutinise my lifestyle you would probably find some trace of animal products but I do whatever is practicably possible.

SBJ":2nekcxmc said:
RogerS":2nekcxmc said:
SBJ":2nekcxmc said:

My original point was that it isn't possible to kill anything humanely. Moles included.

Control of vermin which spread diseases needs to be managed and it should be done in a way that causes the least amount of suffering.

Am I a vegan? Yes, I am. I'm sure if you were to scrutinise my lifestyle you would probably find some trace of animal products but I do whatever is practicably possible.

How do you define 'humanely'? I would have thought that a bullet through the brain or heart was a pretty instantaneous death. It seems to me that you are confusing 'do not kill animals' with 'humanely'. And to be honest, looking at some of those so-called humane ways of getting rid of moles such as the buried jam jar, let's just look at that scenario for a moment. The mole falls into the jamjar. Frantically trying to get out for many hours. Now how is that humane ?

As a vegan, can I ask you a question that has been intriguing me. Would you prefer it that all of humanity was vegan ?

Killing anything, in anything other than an act of mercy, cant be considered humane.

Would I prefer it we were all vegans, yes I would. There are circumstances where it doesn't work, but we could all do "better".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back