electric fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trainee neophyte":3i8f8ihh said:
Nigel Burden":3i8f8ihh said:
It may or may not work. My daughters German Wirehaired Pointer crashes through barbed wire fences, in fact anything, without a second thought. Had a £600 vets bill due to that, fortunately he's insured. I tried getting him to touch the electric fence at Kingston Lacey House to see if it would deter him as a lady I was talking to one day said it cured her Labrador. No, it didn't. He has a very strong prey drive, and that takes over.

Nigel.

.... Another German I met told me she had kept German shepherds for years, and showed me all the tooth mark scars on her arms as proof. .....

I thought kidnapping was illegal ? Weren't their wives suspicious ?

RogerS":281xh7g5 said:
Trainee neophyte":281xh7g5 said:
Nigel Burden":281xh7g5 said:
It may or may not work. My daughters German Wirehaired Pointer crashes through barbed wire fences, in fact anything, without a second thought. Had a £600 vets bill due to that, fortunately he's insured. I tried getting him to touch the electric fence at Kingston Lacey House to see if it would deter him as a lady I was talking to one day said it cured her Labrador. No, it didn't. He has a very strong prey drive, and that takes over.

Nigel.

.... Another German I met told me she had kept German shepherds for years, and showed me all the tooth mark scars on her arms as proof. .....

I thought kidnapping was illegal ? Weren't their wives suspicious ?

=D>

All German dogs are nuts. Says quite a lot about the Germans. I have a German friend who swears by Appenzeller Swiss cattle dogs. Psychotic, unmanageable lunatic dogs, which attack everyone and everything. Another German I met told me she had kept German shepherds for years, and showed me all the tooth mark scars on her arms as proof. I do quite hanker after a Weimaraner - pretty dogs, but I have no idea of the mentality.

I like longdogs - greyhound deerhound cross, wouldn't hurt a fly, lie on the sofa all day, and just can't quite hear you when they put up a hare and vanish over the horizon.

Sounds a bit like a GWP.

They work up to and in excess of 200 yds of their handler, as do many HPR, Hunt, Point, Retrieve breeds. They need firm handling. Unfortunately my daughters dog is gun shy, so he is just a family pet.

GWPs have a tendency to be rather vocal. They are also stubborn. Generally they are good natured and quite tactile. They are also clowns who will play up to laughter. The original imports from Germany had a tendency to aggression apparently, but this has been bred out by British and Swedish breeders.

Weimaraners, from what I've been told can be a bit mental, but I know nothing more about the breed.

Nigel.

Nigel Burden":31avmtl4 said:
All German dogs are nuts. Says quite a lot about the Germans. I have a German friend who swears by Appenzeller Swiss cattle dogs. Psychotic, unmanageable lunatic dogs, which attack everyone and everything. Another German I met told me she had kept German shepherds for years, and showed me all the tooth mark scars on her arms as proof. I do quite hanker after a Weimaraner - pretty dogs, but I have no idea of the mentality.

I like longdogs - greyhound deerhound cross, wouldn't hurt a fly, lie on the sofa all day, and just can't quite hear you when they put up a hare and vanish over the horizon.

Sounds a bit like a GWP.

They work up to and in excess of 200 yds of their handler, as do many HPR, Hunt, Point, Retrieve breeds. They need firm handling. Unfortunately my daughters dog is gun shy, so he is just a family pet.

GWPs have a tendency to be rather vocal. They are also stubborn. Generally they are good natured and quite tactile. They are also clowns who will play up to laughter. The original imports from Germany had a tendency to aggression apparently, but this has been bred out by British and Swedish breeders.

Weimaraners, from what I've been told can be a bit mental, but I know nothing more about the breed.

Nigel.

Just don't mention the war :D

Well, I took the chance and ordered a fence yesterday. I don't think it should worry him too much as most of it will be up so high he won't be able to touch it unless he climbs the hedge and the rest is where he only goes if he's hell bent on getting out.

Trainee neophyte":2b5enenf said:
Is that to keep your gerbils under control? Looks effective.
And I see the moles are frisky...

I think Roger has been sold a load of nonsense about a new-fangled mole deterrant.

There's only one way to get rid of a mole...

[youtube]fePU5CIHpas[/youtube]

Nah...all you need are a load of these. I got four one night.
mole trap.png

Attachments

• mole trap.png
    mole trap.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 267
Did you use new ones or old ones? I'd be surprised if they were new ones because moles can usually smell them a mile off and avoid them, I like to leave new ones in the ground for a month before using them, although I haven't bought any in years! :lol:

Trevanion":amb717gb said:
Did you use new ones or old ones? I'd be surprised if they were new ones because moles can usually smell them a mile off and avoid them, I like to leave new ones in the ground for a month before using them, although I haven't bought any in years! :lol:

New ones. Rubbed them and my hands in earth before using them.

I find no difference between old and new and I've tried barrel traps, single scissor like Roger but the best by far for me are these double scissor, can't remember what they're called. You cover them fully with loose soil but I often just stick an upturned bucket over the top which works. I've been asked if I'm growing rhubarb in the field though! :lol:

I've caught loads but others appear eventually as you can never get rid of the deep "motorway" runs the little sods use. I detest having to kill them but the damage they cause drive me nuts. :roll:

Attachments

• mole traps.jpg
    mole traps.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 224
When I was a nipper I used to buy mole smokes; not to kill moles, but because what boy doesn't want to play at chemical warfare?

As I understand it, they are no longer on sale to the public, except through Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=mole+smoke ... 9u2k0np7_e

What I don't know is if what Amazon is selling is any good, or the same as what I used to try to poison my mates with when we were 10, tearing about in the woods and being reprobates. No one died, so it probably wasn't very poisonous.

RogerS":3t42tqyb said:
Trainee neophyte":3t42tqyb said:
What I don't know is if what Amazon is selling is any good, .....

The Fumond Taupe is useless
I don't have moles, so not up to speed, but the smokes that kill have been banned, and the other things are designed to make the worms leave, which in theory makes the moles leave, in a vegan, organic way. With extra cuddles and a polite note.
You can get humane mole traps, apparently, but then you have to release your mole into the wild (or Roger's front paddock). City folks have funny ideas.

giphy-5-1571842666.gif

Trainee neophyte":3eve1v1o said:
You can get humane mole traps, apparently, but then you have to release your mole into the wild (or Roger's front paddock). City folks have funny ideas.

You really can't get much more humane than scissor traps, it only takes a pinch to off a mole since they're so fragile, scissor trap is pretty much instant, can't get any more humane than instant.

Trevanion":27u8top2 said:

giphy-5-1571842666.gif

Trainee neophyte":27u8top2 said:

You really can't get much more humane than scissor traps, it only takes a pinch to off a mole since they're so fragile, scissor trap is pretty much instant, can't get any more humane than instant.

Absolutely. I wish they'd ban those so-called humane mouse traps which are anything but. The mouse basically pees itself to death with fright.

Trevanion":2l36238l said:

giphy-5-1571842666.gif

Trainee neophyte":2l36238l said:

Umm, not killing a mole would be infinitely more humane wouldn't it? How sick do you have to be to think that killing stuff is the best option?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back