Electric Fan Heater for Very Cold Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GAS, beware, 1 gallon of lpg produces 5 gallons of water, so plenty of ventilation needed to let in some cold air....

I've a 3kW fan heater and some insulation (double garage) , can turn down to 1kW after about 30 mins.

For occasional use a radiant heater is better, as warmth is instant. Quartz electric patio heaters can be bought if you want some real power!

I tried an electric heater once a few years ago,one of those radiant heater ones that rotates,just to expensive to run.It was supposed to be 2p per hour running costs but our bill said different. :( So went back to the gas,£15 a bottle and lasts quite well.
Paul.J.

According to our electric bill, a unit is nearly 10p (kwh) so therefor you get 1 hour for 10p with a 1 kw fire.
But 50p a day equals £45 a quarter
so have the fire on 5 hour's a day , 7 day's a week and it's not cheap.
Move onto 3 bar's and :shock:

Prisoner say's to the guard "i'm freezing in this cell" guard say's " hang on i'll put another bar on" :lol:

I like the sound of these oil-filled radiators and they're affordable too. Do they not pose any kind of fire risk? How often do people find they can run before needing a top-up of oil?

I've been struggling with a cheap, little Halogen heater recently - you have to be stood right next to it to feel any warmth really, although they seem pretty safe.

We have a great big fan-type heater at work which is powered by oil. Fills a large, uninsulated 'shop quite well after 5-10 minutes, but it also blows sawdust at you if you get too close!

Hi Olly, oil filled rads are sealed for life and never need topping up, the only thing likely to fail is the heating element,
Regards Rich.

We've got a 9kw fan heater from Machine Mart (3 phase) in our 800sq ft workshop and it is great. Stick it on full for ten minutes on a cold morning and it warms the whole place up nicely, then let the thermostat keep it at the right temperature.

It's suprisingly good on juice, too.

I would agree with the insulation advice though.

Back