Electra Beckum HC260 planer fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the above planer/thicknesser and while generally I'm fairly pleased with it and like the thicknesser, I really don't get on with the fence; the clamping mechanism is hopeless with two nasty little plastic handles which bump into each other, it needs checking with a square every time it's moved and it's not very rigid - all in all, far from ideal.

Does anyone know of a replacement fence or has anyone made any improvements of their own?

Thanks
Mike

Yes I`ve had some problems with the fence angle locking mechanism. I tightened this up too tight and broke the plastic insert. Could`nt tighted it any more after that. I solved the probem by making a replacement in nylon. I can tighten the fence more securely. As for the knobs hitting each other, they are kip rachet type knobs which can be lifted and repositioned if they clash. I don`t regard the Elektra Beckum as a precision planer anyway, I just ust it for initial planing preparation of boards prior to resawing on the bandsaw and then thicknessing on the HC260. Any jointing I do by hand.

Take the fence apart and clean any grease of the two sliding cams. Use a file or very rough sandpaper to rough up the surfaces. You will then find that once set it will remain fairly square.
Not rocket science but that was the advice given to me by EB at Yandles show last year. There is no retro fit type fence available.

Les

Back