Election Voting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
No, it's not a political thread. SO DON'T MAKE IT INTO ONE....... please.

Am I eligible to vote? I saw the tv adverts saying that if you don't register you can't vote. I didn't register. But my family and I have received voting cards. I have always received voting cards (as I am from thoroughbred UK stock), so has something changed? If I turn up to vote will I get turned away?

If you get the card you must have registered at some point, albeit so long ago you don't remember.

Terrible thing old age :lol:

The council regularly send letters trying to identify who lives here and who does not and I thought that's how I got my voting card.

Always thought the ads were a cunning method of catching people out but judging by the large amount of postal voting fraud perhaps not.

They've made a big thing of being registered, as the rules changed - you have now to register yourself, the "head of the household" can't register for you - so many people will unwittingly lose their vote. I moaned at my daughter for not changing her address, but it turns out students can vote either at home or at university. This I think is rather unfair - she can decide what to vote then where it'll make most difference. (She can do this last minute, as the two constituencies are adjacent).

Once registered it should last indefinitely unless you move. We moved recently and had to register again. I don't think you need the card they send you to vote but I take mine anyway. The main thing this time round is to vote for the *#^@)*^€#% Party :lol:

phil.p":36ahlrho said:
You can google your registration, if you're worried.

I tried that. I was told by the gov website that I needed to go to my local town hall to find out!

I think the secret is in whom you have voted for, not that you have voted, I believe that this came about because in times past the voters had to shout their vote and the local squire or landowner was aware of whom you're vote was for.
The wrong vote could cost you're job and you and family out of you're house.
Regards Rodders

Some people are actually swapping their votes! Apathetic or disengaged voters agree with anonymous counterparts in other constituencies who to vote for. It's not illegal apparently, but ethically questionable.

I was under the impression that when you were paying the dreaded council tax, you got on the register too!
Rodders

blackrodd":s9rw67xw said:
I think the secret is in whom you have voted for, not that you have voted, I believe that this came about because in times past the voters had to shout their vote and the local squire or landowner was aware of whom you're vote was for.
The wrong vote could cost you're job and you and family out of you're house.
Regards Rodders

In our polling station they cross reference your polling card with the voting slip they give you to fill in. If they wanted Big brother could find out who you voted for! Last time we had a ten minute row with the clerk because I said it was no longer a secret ballot, she could not see the point I was making even though the list was in front of her!

sammy.se":1lzwy1jd said:
Some people are actually swapping their votes! Apathetic or disengaged voters agree with anonymous counterparts in other constituencies who to vote for. It's not illegal apparently, but ethically questionable.

I'm considering doing this. It's worth checking out this site
http://www.swapmyvote.uk/
and this one is interesting on how effective your vote is
http://www.voterpower.org.uk/

Glad you guys can vote. I live in the constituency where the Speaker of the House is standing so the main parties have agreed they will not field a candidate (Buckingham). So my options are - John Bercow (speaker - no political affiliation in this post) a Green MP and a UKIP, that's it!. To say that I am not particularly chuffed about the democratic process is an understatement.

Back