ECE scrub plane: Iron quality?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fromey":22qr53c8 said:
The closest I've found is here (which you've probably already found);

http://youtu.be/PyE7-GBCrGA

However, I don't think the LN iron is quite as rounded as the ECE iron.
I watched the video. Crazy! How difficult can you make a simple task? I liked the hilarious 'locked arm' demo with that weird rocking dance movement - he'd make a good panto gnome. :lol: :lol:
He's got it about right at the beginning except it's much easier to apply the blade to the stone rather than putting the blade in a vice as he does. Otherwise the movement is just the same - which should be pretty obvious if you try it. You just work the blade up and down a stone in a normal fashion but with an extra kinda rocking scooping motion.
It's really easy. They want you to think it's difficult. It isn't.
And forget that arm locking nonsense, unless you are practicing for the panto!

Fromey":1q3sv5la said:

The ECE iron is a tighter radius and very sturdy. I used a modified version of the 'locked arm technique' and then stropped the edge. It really cuts smoothly and quickly. Thanks for your help!!

revwayne":1szh03jc said:
Fromey":1szh03jc said:

The ECE iron is a tighter radius and very sturdy. I used a modified version of the 'locked arm technique' and then stropped the edge. It really cuts smoothly and quickly. Thanks for your help!!
Sounds good. You just need to relax a bit. Eventually you'll be able to hone just using one hand, with a cup of tea in the other!
This can lead to slightly rounded bevels but this doesn't matter as long as the edge is OK
Two things which make sharpening much easier: don't bother with jigs, don't worry about rounded bevels, don't bother with flattening stones much (or anything for that matter).
I might try the honing gnome dance next time I'm at a party.

I use an ECE scrub (actually a converted smoother) the curved Chrome Vanadium cutting iron holds it's edge forever, especially when sharpened a bit steeper than normal for maximum edge retention. A thicker iron would be nice but the standard one works fine.

The thing with scrubs is that they are used across the grain, in this direction the timber is much weaker so there is less demand on the cutting edge and the user. You'll never get any sort of finish, but for changing the shape quickly it's like having a switch to turn ash into pine and back again.

It's easy to make the mistake of obsessing about all planes to the extent that you would a smoother. A scrub is completely the opposite end of the spectrum, an adze with a fence, nothing more.

It should be cheap, brutal, flat to within 1/8 of an inch and have a blade that gets sharpened on an annual basis. I wouldn't even hone the iron, just use it straight off the grinder.

matthewwh":34w9snr8 said:
It's easy to make the mistake of obsessing about all planes to the extent that you would a smoother.

Each plane should be tuned for the purpose it performs.

BugBear

Thank you guys very much for your shared knowledge. I use the scrub at an oblique angle on the grain and as noted it cuts remarkably well on that shear. I spent the evening flattening two large tabletops for the chancel and the plane is still cutting beautifully. You have blessed me with your knowledge!

I'm looking at the ECE scrub plane, and by my way of thinking it seems the planes body size plus purpose made blade makes it an easy buy. I'll be using it to do some leveling of twisted softwood boards, texturing for effect. And just plain experimentation..60 euros at present at Fine Tools..

I think the narrow curved blade and the smaller size of the plane body is a good concept for really biting into a surface with minimal effort. I don't expect it would be so useful for making broad adjustments to wide board though probably too short for that..

WoodFriendly":3vos5bg5 said:

I think the narrow curved blade and the smaller size of the plane body is a good concept for really biting into a surface with minimal effort. I don't expect it would be so useful for making broad adjustments to wide board though probably too short for that..
That's about it.
I've got one and what I've found it most useful for is ripping off the painted or otherwise rough surface of old reclaimed stuff, back to clean wood. Hence the name "scrub", I guess.
Doesn't seem like 5 years ago since i last posted in this thread! Time flies when you are having fun.

Back