Easiest way to square timber without a thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been given a load of rough sawn timber that's twisted and warped. I'd like to square a load up without spending ages doing it.

Im still new to all of this so looked on YouTube. Most methods seem to involve a thicknesser, which I don't have.

Any suggestions to help me please?

A sharp jack plane and a keen eye is what you need, might take you a while at first but when you have done a few doesn't take too long. Good exercise too.

Matt

The main thing is to not do anything to it at all, until you have a use for it, and a cutting list. Then only plane it after it has been sawn to length and width.
DIY sheds have timber in long lengths all ready planed but small workshops don't do this - instead we cut/plane as we need it - not in advance.

You need a bench and a jack plane.

Paul Sellers shows how in detail in this video

https://youtu.be/Cl5Srx-Ru_U

If the timber is really rough and gritty on the outside it might be worth using an electric plane first to get the worst off. Use a deepish cut to get down into clean wood.

Do bear in mind that reducing the wood to smaller sizes may release stresses leading to a lot more twisting and warping, so do some experiments first before you waste time on the whole load.

Back