ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

In the next week or two I will be buying some ear defenders to replace my old damaged ones.

Is there a great advantage in buying a set of professional defenders over a cheap set. Do they really cut the mustard ?

Your thoughts and experiences on the subject please.

They will not be worn continuously.....

Regards

'Sue'

Hi Sue,

I use Pelter, same brand as david but a different level of noise reduction I think. It has Optime 1 tm on the label. I find they reduce the noise from machines such as the bench saw, p/t, and the router to an acceptable level. They were something like £14 from Screwfix and are very comfortable to wear.

John

+1 for Peltor. The brand is used by the aircraft folk in front of the jet engines:)
You could explore the sound cancelling ones also: more expensive.
However, quality ear and eye protection are invaluable.
hearing damage is one way and creeps up on you

Just as a +1, when this came up a few months ago many posters gave the Peltor models the thumbs up so that does seem to get the most votes. No personal commercial association of course.

As one who enjoys the never ending accompaniment of a permanent hiss in the ears, I do suggest that good hearing protection is a must. I bought the first pair of ear muffs in our boat yard and was thought a right wuss. Boys used cotton wool, real men didn't notice (until it was too late). When riveting we were clocked at 134 Db, thats bad!

Peltor muffs are very good +1

I worked for a company who provided ear defenders but they were the cheap red ones. They did not provide replacements for 5 years. I go to bed and it feels like I have sea shells on my ears. Like everyone else suggests Peltors are good. I will also use army surplus ear plugs at the same time as defenders. Tinitis is not curable and is horrible

I worked in the civil engineering industry all my life and only in relative recent years were we reminded of the rule of thumb to tell if the noise is above the safe level (75db?), which was if you can't carry on a normal conversation without raising your voice at 2m from the machine(s) then you need defenders. Unfortunately for me the advise was several years too late and like other members on here, tinnitus is the result.

During my last 10 years or so on site work I made a point of reminding young guys hammering away on breakers or standing next to a piling hammer that they should be wearing ear muffs. Of course they took no notice. I could read their minds - 'what does that silly old git know about hearing damage.'

John

Apologies but I got the 'rule of thumb' wrong in my post above.

It should read 'if you have to raise your voice for someone to hear you 2m away them the background noise is at a dangerous level and ear defenders should be worn'.

I think the noise has addled my brain as well as my ears!

Cheers,

John

I have had a pair of Leightning's for several years now- very comfortable and good quality. I do not know how they compare to the Peltor's. But as they need replacing I probably should find out.

John15":2np5rj76 said:
Apologies but I got the 'rule of thumb' wrong in my post above.

It should read 'if you have to raise your voice for someone to hear you 2m away them the background noise is at a dangerous level and ear defenders should be worn'.

I think the noise has addled my brain as well as my ears!

Cheers,

John

Interesting since that's not overtly loud is it? So the damage is caused by even moderate noise but sustained over a long period it seems, rather than acutely loud but in short bursts?

I'd say the chainsaw is the noisiest tool I use on a regular basis due to the petrol engine.

Peltor optime 3 are very good, I got a second pair from a car boot for £3!

Pete

+1...Defiiitley go for the Peltor lll 's. Like cheap sunglasses the cheap ones cause more harm than they prevent. Bizarrely you can hear ambient noise (like someone shouting) better with them than with the cheap ones but the high db's seem to block out.

When I worked in Corus Teesside, the ONLY type they would allow was the Peltor Optime, if any of you have ever been in a beam mill or steel making plant you'll understand why.

I still use them in my workshop, they are very comfy.

As a result of the high recommendations by members for the Peltor Optime 111, I ordered one which arrived today. I've tried it out and the difference from my Optime 1 model is amazing so thanks guys for that and thanks Sue for raising posting the subject.

Cheers,

John

the next pair i'm getting r the blu tooth noise counter reacting ones great for working can talk perfectly while working with loud machines running, blocks out the background noises. my old boss had them. awesome.

I went for the 3M Peltor Optime III after the last set of responses on ear defenders. I haven't regretted it in regards to comfort and adjustment.

That said, I can't say I particularly notice the difference to a cheap pair in terms of noise cancellation. But, personal perception isn't always the best measure of performance, especially for long term effects like hearing!

Back