Dust mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mock":apa2804a said:
Can you recommend me a dust mask or air mask please
Mock

Is this dust mask for day to day workshop use or a mdf job or even turning?
Regards Rodders

+1 for the Trend Airace mask. High filtration to 0.3 microns and ideal for anyone who wears glasses as they do not steam up and are very comfortable for long periods of time.

Alex

I have a 3M 7502. Filters last absolutely ages and it's pretty comfortable to wear. I use it with a Honeywell Bionic face shield if I'm doing anything that might take my eye out.

I think he was replying to blackrodd, Alex, not saying he wanted rubbish ;)

I use P2 filters on a JSP powercap but I'd buy P3 if I started regularly using things with fumes or nastier chemicals - I think that's the distinction for day-to-day use.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No Alexam
I will be getting the Trend Airace mask. they are around £36 to £40 if i have the right one :roll:

mock":3vjyjbxa said:
No Alexam
I will be getting the Trend Airace mask. they are around £36 to £40 if i have the right one :roll:

Just had a butchers and the airace mask looks very good, and works when cutting or using MDF.
A good choice for a mask for daily use, I would think, but I suggest you check out the 3M as well
They have always been good too!
Regards Rodders

Change of plan just ordered this 3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator

DECISIONS decisions thanks
mock

mock":21twmtiz said:
Mock

I bought an expensive ”disposable“ mask and was very upset to discover when I was NOT able to get it to fit well that the instructions advised (in small print near the bottom) that it wasn't suitable for men with beards.

It would have been much more helpful if this was printed on the OUTSIDE of the packet!

So I'd like to extend the question to ”Can anybody recommend a dust mask for users with beards, please?“

With best wishes and thanks.

MCB

MCB":3ez44v0l said:
mock":3ez44v0l said:
Mock

I bought an expensive ”disposable“ mask and was very upset to discover when I was NOT able to get it to fit well that the instructions advised (in small print near the bottom) that it wasn't suitable for men with beards.

It would have been much more helpful if this was printed on the OUTSIDE of the packet!

So I'd like to extend the question to ”Can anybody recommend a dust mask for users with beards, please?“

MCB

I have some bad news in that regard, no mask type respirator exists which is designed or approved for wear with facial hair (I feel confident saying that so stridently as using and advising others on the use of respirators and BA sets is part of my job).

However Hood type respiratory protective equipment exists in both PAPR (Powered Air Purifying Respirator) and airline fed varieties, and they do work with even very bushy beards, offer between 3 and 10 times greater protection than a filter mask and are vastly more comfortable to boot.

That comes with a big but but, my Work-Issued 3M Jupiter hood setup costs nearly 700 quid IIRC, and would be vast overkill for most woodworking purposes.
Edit: Whilst not cheap the Trend Airsheild Pro above looks like a far more reasonably priced alternative to the 3M setups, though consumables will still be quite expensive with any PAPR, which leads me to think my point below is still quite valid.

My honest advice would be that to keep your beard and your lungs, "improved engineering controls" i.e. really effective dust extraction, is the best and cheapest long term solution; It's also the HSE's advised and preferred solution, with masks being a last resort.

MCB":2lkillhl said:
mock":2lkillhl said:
Mock

MCB
I'd suggest either the Trend Airpro or the JSP Powercap. The JSP is by far my favourite, having extensively tried both.

They both work by using a battery powered fan to pull filtered air in to a semi sealed face shield, and blow it down in front of your brow.

It causes positive pressure inside the mask part, that means the seal around your face doesn't need to be perfect, it's just a soft fabric in both, shouldn't obstruct the bushiest of beards! As long as it's not so epic that it won't fit thru the seal or fills the face shield part to obstruction of the air flow, you should be fine.

Unfortunately, the above advice is otherwise entirely correct - any "normal" mask or filter simply can't seal well enough to be any use at all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back