Dust extractor for hand plane shavings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illotus

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a small garage where I work wood entirely with hand tools, so I have mountains of hand plane shavings all around. Does anyone have experience with vacuuming those shavings with something like Axminster Hobby Series FM300BC with fine filter?

I recently got Oneida Dust Deputy to add to my cheapo wet'n'dry vacuum and it handles smaller debris reasonably, but hand plane shavings will get stuck in the 50mm tube really quickly. Gathering the shavings by hand would be reasonable except then the air is so filled with dust that I would need to use half-mask and would rather not.

I'm looking to add some home gym equipment to my garage, so I need to make cleaning the shavings and saw dust easier (and improve air quality). I'm also looking into getting a lunchbox planer so I'm likely getting a dust extractor anyways.

these two are a good combination!

719522_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-bigmouth-dust-pan-and-dusting-brush-prod820130/

adidat

So often, whilst sat on the loo wiping my backside with triple quilted velvet andrex, I wished somebody would invent a quicker system.
No one did so i invented the Shiny Ass 3000 system, it is a revelation. Once you have re wired your en suite with a 3 phase supply and installed a ducting system to cope with the 3000L minute of ass wash the SA3000 provides, you will have the cleanest and most efficient ass wash system on the market (until the SA3100 comes out).

It only requires 3 hours of basic routine maintenance a week and is A rated for energy using only 2100 kwh a year. It really does put old fashioned paper tissue into the dark ages.

The reason i mention this- You asked about a shaving collection machine for your handplane, please invent something, there is such an obvious market demand for something to collect those whispy shavings, the previous inventions of the dust pan and brush just don't provide enough collection speed for the faster cutting Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes.

In the times of Stanley, Record and dare I say it.. Norris, these old school planes only produces shavings at the rate of 1 Shaving A Grumble. Compare this to the A2, Double, micro rounded bevel offerings from the modern master Veritas. The bevel up 04 model has a SHAG rate (Shaving a Grumble) of 3. This produces an excessive amount of hideous wood shavings which only a system similar to the the SA3000 can cope with.

If I was a Dragon on Dragons den- I would be in. Please invent this now and consign the dustpan and brush to it's rightful place in history.

HTH :)

Mattty":2igdjb74 said:
So often, whilst sat on the loo wiping my backside with triple quilted velvet andrex, I wished somebody would invent a quicker system.
No one did so i invented the Shiny Ass 3000 system, it is a revelation. Once you have re wired your en suite with a 3 phase supply and installed a ducting system to cope with the 3000L minute of ass wash the SA3000 provides, you will have the cleanest and most efficient ass wash system on the market (until the SA3100 comes out).

It only requires 3 hours of basic routine maintenance a week and is A rated for energy using only 2100 kwh a year. It really does put old fashioned paper tissue into the dark ages.

The reason i mention this- You asked about a shaving collection machine for your handplane, please invent something, there is such an obvious market demand for something to collect those whispy shavings, the previous inventions of the dust pan and brush just don't provide enough collection speed for the faster cutting Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes.

In the times of Stanley, Record and dare I say it.. Norris, these old school planes only produces shavings at the rate of 1 Shaving A Grumble. Compare this to the A2, Double, micro rounded bevel offerings from the modern master Veritas. The bevel up 04 model has a SHAG rate (Shaving a Grumble) of 3. This produces an excessive amount of hideous wood shavings which only a system similar to the the SA3000 can cope with.

If I was a Dragon on Dragons den- I would be in. Please invent this now and consign the dustpan and brush to it's rightful place in history.

HTH :)

This would be quoteworthy if it wasn't so darned long. :lol:

---------

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,42401

While I can see the humorous side, I think you guys are being very hard on the OP, on his first post.

Welcome to the forum Illotus.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":1rqyeurb said:
While I can see the humorous side, I think you guys are being very hard on the OP, on his first post.

Welcome to the forum Illotus.

Cheers, Vann.

I agree Vann and welcome to the forum Illotus. My suggestion regarding a sweeping brush was a sincere one, as I feel it's easier to clear shavings using a brush than a vacuum cleaner.

Hello Illotus,
I have two work shops (more like a big shed and a small shed), in the ‘big shed’ I have a Bandsaw and 12” PT with a large chip collector. The PT is by far the largest producer of wood waste, I can understand why some members have in the past subscribed to placing this type of extractor outside of the shop. In my smaller workshop (the front of a former integral garage) now measuring about 10’ x 8’ is my workbench, a chop saw, Router table and drill press, its also set up to use small power tools like a belt sander at the bench. This workshop is where I do all my hand tool woodwork on account of my very sturdy bench and a radiator I can turn on if I’m feeling a bit of a wimp in the winter. I do produce dust from the power tools and wood shavings and chips when drilling, hand planning and chopping out joints.
Because my workshop opens into our hall I need to keep the shavings and dust cleared away otherwise I’m in trouble with my better half.
My solution (after years of trying different extractor systems) is a ‘plumed in’ Wall hung Camvac GV286,
Wall_mt_DX.JPG
my ceiling is about 8’ high so I installed a 63mm clear plastic dust kit from Axminster under the ceiling with 5 blast gate outlets at head or bench height so that I can connect any power tools up wherever I am using them. As all the pipework is clear and high up I can see any blockages and clear it by opening or closing different blast gates. When the polythene dust bag is half full it is easy to drop down to the floor for disposal.
The most useful part of my extractor system (and if I was doing this on a budget the only part I would install directly to the Camvac) is a 2.5M flexible hose salvaged from a vacuum cleaner, its about 1.5” diameter and I can attach cleaning tools to the open end, also salvaged from an old Dyson or Vax.
Flexable_DX.JPG

This hose will reach anywhere in my workshop so to clean up wood shavings from my bench and off the floor I start with a dustpan and put the bulk of waste into a large waste paper bin then follow up with the vacuum hose to suck up all the left over bits into the Camvac.
Do I get a problem with clogging up? Well by and large no, the flexible hose may get blocked now and then but I clear it by disconnecting it from the plumed in pipework and push a long piece of iron pipe or similar through the length of the flex pipe to clear the blockage.
I have not got room in my workshop for a cyclone, when the Camvac is running dust is not a problem although the 2 filter bags need changing/cleaning every 25 hours or so, dust can be a problem when changing the bag & filters but is easy to hover up when the new bag is installed.
Illotus could your flexible hose be blocking up because your not getting enough suck? Maybe the filter may need changing/cleaning or using the vortex system is reducing the airflow too much?
Best wishes Mike.

Attachments

• Wall_mt_DX.JPG
    Wall_mt_DX.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 2,045
  • Flexable_DX.JPG
    Flexable_DX.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,045
Simple effective and reasonably priced.

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP01929.html

They were until recently only £89 or is that just my memory?. This would make a good basic chip collector/4in vacuum. Would suggest a Camvac or a Record DX for a plumbed in system that will cope with all eventualities (dust and chips) however they are best used with a cyclone and are a tad noisy with the twin brush motors.

As you have a wet and try plus dust deputy you could just go for a bag style collector for chips and shavings such as this;

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP01952.html again this would be improved by adding a suitably sized cyclone.

One question what hoses are you running too and from your dust deputy? If you are stepping down either side from the 2in that the unit accepts you are seriously affecting it's potential (no technical expertise but practical experience with my own system). I appreciate if you are going to a tool with a small bore capacity it's necessary but for general Hoovering or chip collection stick with 2in or 50mm. My Wickes Vac took on Godzilla type suck when I changed the outlet to 60 odd mm, as I said no idea why it just improved airflow immeasurably.

Slightly off topic I know but I've just seen Onieda have just launched this;

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...&CatId={17F46883-40BB-471E-982F-E5F28583241B}

If I didn't already have a cyclone I'd seriously consider one of these for a ducted system, got all the bells and whistles, air ramp, rectangular entry port (I'm sure Bill Pentz would approve). Looks like the best value commercial cyclone I've seen (wrong side of the pond I know).

Additionally welcome and enjoy.

I got the 1929 model above for £89 I think a few weeks back - was just going to get a cheap vacuum for the garage but this wasnt much more and is great for plugging into the back of the router table, Kreg jig etc and works as a normal vacuum(ish) for general sawdust, tiny offcuts, bits from chiseling etc, been very pleased with it.

Pete

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going for large dust collector with 4 inch hose and got the Axminster Extender Hood(one of those separator lids to go with a barrel) to go with it. Works quite well, sucks all sorts of shavings and offcuts pretty easily. Some of the sawdust and really thin plane shavings do tend to end up in the dust collector (the shavings get stuck in the grid meant to protect the impeller) and not the separator. Anyways, I'm pretty happy with this solution, I just vacuumed roughly 150 liters of shavings and my garage was fairly dust free.

fluffflinger, the bigger Oneida cyclone looks really nice. Shame it is so expensive here (the older model is something like 280€ + shipping). Bit too much, I think I'll maybe try building thien baffle next. I did experiment with the dust deputy coupled with my large dust collector and it performed very well with my lunchbox planer, but hand plane shavings just got stuck at the inlet or in the 2 inch hose.

Back