dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
i have read allot of the reviews etc on dust extraction but not shure if i would just need a workshop vac or the full hog of a dust extractor and air filter, any suggestions on criteria ie is it down to shop size, type of wood or hours of use. advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think it will depend more on what tools you use.
I use a simple drum vac for most stuff. If it's a nice day, I work in the garden, but i'm only a hobbyist woodworker.

I think if you're using a thicknesser or a router table with big cutters then you might need something with bigger pipes than the standard hoover pipe :)

I'm sure someone that uses real dust extraction systems will be along shortly...

What type of machines do you have :?: ie planer/thickneser, table saw etc.
As this will depend on what type/types of extraction you may need

at the moment i have
table saw.
sliding compound mitre saw.
thicknesser.
router (no router table yet, my next purchase or project havent decided to buy or build).
belt sander.
random orbit sander.
also looking to purchase bandsaw.

any sugestions

You need both a vacuum and a dust extractor.
The table saw, thicknesser and band saw do best with an extractor.
The mitre saw and the router out of the table could use either.
The sanders would do best with a vacuum.
The router in the table is best handled by an extractor.
I started off by moving the vacuum from machine to machine but found half the time I just could not bother and made a mess. In the end I ran pipes to all the machines(4" but on some I should have run 6") and connected to a 3HP extractor but I still use the vacuum/mini cyclone on machines such as sanders and hand tools.
Not withstand the above I still use a broom and a garden blower and an airshield(when I remember).
A dust free/saw dust free workshop is hard to achieve.
Barry

Latest posts

Back