Dust Extraction - Can you do without it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite having two extractors I must admit that I also use and Airshield in addition to them. Extractors are great but never pick up everything especially on the planet and router table. My dust extraction set up can be seen here.

I have considered fitting a biggish extractor fan, vented through eaves. I have a Jet particle filter, and use extractors on all machines, but I still get a film of very fine dust laying all over.
Chunkolini mentioned above, but I have a hunch that simply extracting straight outside would help quickly clear the very fine stuff. I know that means dumping heat outside too, but as I hardly have any so what.
Has anyone tried that and any feedback. I'm thinking a 10", maybe a pair, drawing through a scrap cooker hood, with some filter sponge in it, and looking for quite a big volume of air being moved.

I should add that I have the jet air filter too in addition to the airshield and extractor. You might catch a glimpse of it in the video.

Re the Jet I wouldn't say don't get one - I have one and it obviously does something because the filter gets coated in dust within a couple of days. But that and the extractors (incl a Record 4000 with fine filter) doesn't come close to solving the problem - hence my own interest in full-on extraction (to the outside).

chunkolini":99ojxhgn said:
a proper dust extractor http://www.toolite.org.uk/record-litre- ... p-449.html improved life no end.

How quiet/noisy is that Record machine? Is it a brush or induction motor?

I'm looking for some more dust extraction and am looking at various options but a lot of the smaller units make a heck of a noise. If using a quiet machine like a band saw or sander I don't really want the D.E. to be so noisy.

regards

Brian

iPhone SPL meter - brilliant app - didn't even think to look for one but I'll get it. My loudest must be the planer working near max width (ear defenders a must) , but I'd like to test all the others anyway.

Can DX motors be boxed in to make them quieter? Would heat build up be a problem or do you think the the air flow would keep them cold enough?

I'm thinking about this sort of machine
210045_l.jpg

This machine already has an induction motor. I guess you could box the motor but more noise on these come from the large fan inside. The brushed motor units do have a noise reducing hood but they are still louder. They over hear easily it ventilation is blocked by sound proofing resulting in a thermal shut off that can last about 30mins.

Use whatever system you like, we're never, ever going to get rid of dust 100%...it ain't doable :lol: I use a Camvac 386 for extraction on all the big stuff and a dedicated single unit DX for the table saw. I like the Camvac 'cos it takes up a very small footprint (I use it with the Ax extender lid, which is a fantastic bit of kit) and will suck everything that's thrown at it...the longest thing away from it is the pillar drill which has a run of around 5m. The Camvac also has a triple filtration system built in so there's very little that gets exhausted back into the 'shop. I also use an Ax ambient air extractor which is set on a timer and cleans the air in the 'shop at the end of the day. If you have a decent DX system of whatever denomination, coupled with regular cleaning and vacuuming of all surfaces, you can keep the dust down to an absolute minimum, but it'll never go entirely - Rob

ust been looking at the 3m 700. What filters do people use on them?

I use the 2135 filter. It filters particles down to .3 micron. Its also recommended for silica dust so i these filters on site when I need to cut or grind or break concrete.

They're great masks - its just like breathing fresh air!!

Thanks, p111dom. As you say the majority of the noise is from the fan rather than the motor - I might try and experiment boxing that in.

My extractor is an old Axi version, but apart from the badge looks like the twin of the Jet one pictured.

Back