Dumbing down work wear HSBC / BA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read today that both HSBC and British Airways now feel that jump suits, jeans and sloppy work wear uniforms is the way forward. I find it both a sad indictment of standards and respect for the customers that I can now look forward to being served by somebody who might as well not have bothered to change out of they’re PJ’s.
Now I’m sure there will be those who feel intimidated by smart clothing, the stereotypical suit, white shirt and a tie. However, I’m both of an age where it was the ‘standard’ and it did make a difference to professional interactions. Sloppy attire usually meant sloppy work.
It was nice to get home take off the tie and suit and by doing so and changing into my home clothes feel the difference of transforming from either bee to father and husband. A change in clothes a change in mind set.
I get the idea you might be more like my generation. I taught what was woodwork and metalwork for 18 years and wore a suit and tie every day, now I do have a smart jacket, trousers and shoes for the odd hospital or doctor appointment and even a shirt and tie just in case I go to a funeral but my every day of the week attire I buy from Toolstation as it lasts.

86A5DF4B-94FA-46FF-803C-BAC4B1D30DA2.png

I’ve got mixed feeling about it. I work in the technology sector, and when I am in our head office, the norm these days is suits without ties for the men, while ladies’ attire hasn’t really changed over the last decade. A large amount of my work is done from home though, where I wear anything from jeans and a t-shirt to pyjamas, and it doesn’t make me any less professional or less good at my job.

Same here.

In Tech, I've found perception to be an interesting "concept\experience".

Turn up in a nice, well fitting suit, nice polished (not like OCD polish) shoes - say without a tie - and your (or certainly for me) "experience" will be different than if you had turned up in trainers, t-shirt and jeans. Probably something in between the two if you turned up in business casual (and closer to the "suit" experience than jeans).

Although I've seen plenty turn up in jeans, t-shirt & trainers, where what they are wearing barely qualify for those descriptions - either due to "design" or condition\state and in many instances fit.

I like suits and shoes - it might be a generation thing but I suspect it's more a "mindset" (or background) thing as, for example I've seem customers of all ages the last time I was in a Loake shop.

On a more general note (and it might be contentious) I find it peculiar - the gender disparity. By that I mean take a look at the quality\quantity of the contents of a man's wardrobe and then take a look at those his wife's\partner's - in the majority case, one will differ from the other by orders of magnitude. Include taking a look at the left hands\wrist of both as well.

I don't believe either end of that disparity is good\right\etc.

I worked for a large tech company in the 'extremely techy' part of said company. Said 'lab' had a reputation for casual dress. I was once dispatched to a customer and donned a suit and tie for the occasion. The customer did not initially believe that I was from the lab and I had to demonstrate technical know-how to prove I was not a salesman impersonating a techie. Apparently I should have turned up in 'sandals and tee shirt' uniform.

It’s an oxymoron, to say that clothes don’t matter, and then to have a fashion industry that dominates the vast majorities purchasing habits. If clothes didn’t matter a few trillion in sales wouldn’t happen! In the name of fashion people wear the most uncomfortable impractical clothes imaginable, so the argument that a formal business wear is to be replaced with ‘comfort’ wear isn’t credible or an honest perspective.

Those well tailored immaculately presented three piece suits certainly gave them a presence without a word needing to be said. Their strenuous activities weren’t inhibiting or restrictive by formal business wear, they didn’t feel the need for. ‘Comfort wear’!

The last show I went to, in the middle of last year I was surprised by the opportunity to buy trade wear that was highly fashionable with a cost to match. The trades seem to becoming extremely smartly dressed whist the ‘white collar’ jobs seem to have slumped in their dress habits to scruffy. How the world changes“

It’s an oxymoron, to say that clothes don’t matter, and then to have a fashion industry that dominates the vast majorities purchasing habits. If clothes didn’t matter a few trillion in sales wouldn’t happen! In the name of fashion people wear the most uncomfortable impractical clothes imaginable, so the argument that a formal business wear is to be replaced with ‘comfort’ wear isn’t credible or an honest perspective.
I don’t follow your logic. In my experience choice of clothing is a matter of personal taste and not an indication of technical prowess or ability to deliver customer service.

Interestingly HSBC have consulted both customers and their staff quite extensively in reaching their decision. Clearly in running any business you cannot please all the people all of the time.

Interesting that the Kray twin’s business was intimidation and being dressed as they were helped them generate what they called respect but was in actual fact fear.

A. saying from a company I once worked for on this issue.

“A suit never lost a sale”

A. saying from a company I once worked for on this issue.

“A suit never lost a sale”
As a young sales rep in the early 80s my elderly Chairman told me ‘a suit might not win you a sale but certainly won’t lose you one.’ Sadly I think that may not now be the case.

times have changed, I think it's a good thing that things are less formal.

Back