Drummond lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending what its made of you could repair the original. If its steel it would be relatively simple to deposit new metal on by welding and then remachine. Probably not a cheap option, but worth considering if you get stuck.

If you want to try the refurbishment option speak to AM Philpot in Luton. Famous in the motorcycle world as refurbishers of fork legs. They do all sorts of shaft repairs, not sure if they do gears, but they will cetainly know someone who can. I have used them for years. Not cheap but superb quality.

I bet this is a standard DP bevel gear
Do some basic measurements of diameters and number of teeth and you might find it is "standard" , easily available, and reasonably cheap.
There are lots of people around who can gut gears - it's not "rocket science "
I had a similar issue in finding a non-standard gear, simply turn a blanc - set up in a dividing head in the mill - and soon, you have a gear - gear profile cutters are not expensive.
If you don't have a mill, I am sure someone on this site could cut a gear for you.
Whether the key was integral in the blanc or not is not important - nobody in their right mind would do this. Simply cut a keyway into the blank and then add key steel !
Just choose the right steel to cut the blank, in case it needs to be heat hardened

Do some basic measurements of diameters and number of teeth and you might find it is "standard" , easily available, and reasonably cheap.
I would agree that it is likely to be a standard DP - though which I couldn't hazzard a quess - but doubt that it would be available easily or cheaply today.
Regrettably, BEVEL gears are rather more 'rocket science' than Straight 'SPUR' gears.
I had a similar issue in finding a non-standard gear, simply turn a blanc - set up in a dividing head in the mill - and soon, you have a gear - gear profile cutters are not expensive.
If you don't have a mill, I am sure someone on this site could cut a gear for you.
Correctly profiled Bevel gears are not simply cut with the generally available 'Gear Cutters' - they should be 'tappered' which requies a two pass approach, though there is a compromise in the form of the 'Straight Cut' Gleason System. For a gear of this size I suspect that it would matter and 'Straight Cut' gears would be noisier and more prone to wear than correctly profiled gears.
Whether the key was integral in the blanc or not is not important - nobody in their right mind would do this. Simply cut a keyway into the blank and then add key steel !
Just choose the right steel to cut the blank, in case it needs to be heat hardened
I suggest that the key being integral is very important! - of course no-one in their right mind would make it so, which is why I made my initial comment.

I would agree that it is likely to be a standard DP - though which I couldn't hazzard a quess - but doubt that it would be available easily or cheaply today.

Regrettably, BEVEL gears are rather more 'rocket science' than Straight 'SPUR' gears.

Correctly profiled Bevel gears are not simply cut with the generally available 'Gear Cutters' - they should be 'tappered' which requies a two pass approach, though there is a compromise in the form of the 'Straight Cut' Gleason System. For a gear of this size I suspect that it would matter and 'Straight Cut' gears would be noisier and more prone to wear than correctly profiled gears.

I suggest that the key being integral is very important! - of course no-one in their right mind would make it so, which is why I made my initial comment.
I agree, bevel gears do present more of a challenge than spur gears. Without challenge, there is little learning.

And if your original gear is tapered then you might get away with a straight cut replacement in plastic, although how long it would last in that application is debatable. If you use a metal replacement that is not correctly profiled you will probably damage the mating gear as well, so more grief. Many places that sell agriculural equipment parts also carry various gears. Doubtful they would have what you want on the shelf, but they may well be able to point you in the direction of a supplier.

It is a 29 tooth gear

OUCH !! Not only 'Odd' but 'Prime' Definitely one of the most difficult gears to cut.
Prime number gears are no more difficult, just get the dividing head set up correctly.
To cut a good bevel gear ( prime or otherwise ) is more of a challenge.
I have cut several prime number spur gears with no trouble.

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. If you are a Wales supporter, well done for qualifying for the world cup.... I'm not a football supporter, but it's great to see Wales qualify.
Which parts are you looking for?
I'm looking for a tapered gear like this

Attachments

• 20220517_123435.jpg
    20220517_123435.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220517_123616.jpg
    20220517_123616.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 0
Back