Drawn to the dark side

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,
For my 50th this year my wife booked me on a David Charlesworth dovetail course. Having been mostly a power tool user before this has awakened my interest in hand tool working, and the first thing I needed was a place to keep my hand tools. Made the cabinet shown here with £10 worth of pine shelves from Ikea! Works for now though just fine.

The DC course was very interesting and I picked up no end of tips for tool usage and maintenance. His style is very relaxed and precise.

Anyway just thought I'd let you see my latest thing.
16092006572.jpg

16092006574.jpg

16092006569.jpg

16092006570.jpg

16092006571.jpg

16092006573.jpg

Nice work!! Glad you liked the course, i've been thinking about getting to one myself. I went to a Bruce Luckhurst course last year and really enjoyed that.

Nice cabinet, WM! I like the swing out portion as it makes a good use of space.

And I'm jealous about the course. Mr. C is one of the teachers I would enjoy spending some time with.

Take care, Mike

Excellent piece - looks great,as well as being immensely practical (I like the idea of being able to see instantly if something is missing - expanding your collection later can sometimes be a problem,though - DAMHIKT :oops: )

Andrew

Thanks for all the positive comments.
I found it suprising how many tools I had when I came to put them all in one place.
Mind you, on the way home from the DC course I just had to stop off at APTC and buy a few essentials - you know LN dovetail saw, chisels and LA jack plane, plus a few other goodies. Kid in a sweetie shop I know.
The LN jack is absolutely fantastic - cuts anything I have tried it with and leaves a shiny surface. Got a spare blade with it to keep at a higher angle (york pitch). On the course we went into sharpening in detail and he advocates the use of waterstones. In order to maintain these a flat surface is needed to use some W&D paper for flattening. The best I found is a 12mm thick marble cutting plate from Marks & Spencer homeware - 20" x 10" with four rubber feet. Costs £15 and is great for this purpose, aswell as being perfectly flat.

That is a beautiful collection Woodmaster. I really like your cabinet very nice job indeed. I must say that that is the best use of anything from Ikea that I have seen too! :) I do envy you the course wouldn't mind doing that one myself.

Latest posts

Back