Drawer types

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to make drawers in Ash but for years now I have always used undermount runners. Usually because they have been specified or are the most appropriate. I'm making a small dressing table with a niche of 1,000mm x 400mm x 110mm for three drawers. The height precludes Blum's etc. I think also as its going to be a nice piece with a marble top traditional methods are more appropriate. I will probably dovetail the drawers or drawer lock router them. But what is the best method for wooden runners? rebates in the drawer side, runners on the side, best method to stop them? they are going to have painted (false) fronts.
Cheers.

For solid sided chests the runners are set into slots but NOT GLUED or you could get differential movement and splits in the sides. Instead they have just one fixing point and/or other design details to keep them in place, but loose.
Panel sided chests they can be fixed as the grain will be in the same direction as the horizontal rails, but may need a spacer between the panel side and the drawer, to keep them in place. These could be fixed to the runners as the grain goes the same way.
It's well worth having a look at Ernest Joyce and others as all-wood runners/guides/slips/kickers/stops are very easy to make, usually from scraps and offcuts, and work brilliantly.

Last edited:
I prefer not to route slides / grooves.
I mount them on "L" shaped supports.
I put a toggle on the back of the drawer to stop it being pulled out.

Back