Downing street petitiion against road charging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried to add my name to this several weeks ago but never received the reply/validation e-mail. Gave it another go 20 minutes ago - still no e-mail. Why am I being disenfranchised? Is it just me?

Jacob, couldn't agree with you more, except that I see no reason for the government should know where I am all the time, (and how fast I am going). That is what I object to. How about you?

Nick,

Got a mobile phone? You let them know where you are all the time its on. Got Sat Nav? You let that know where you are and how fast you are travelling as well.

No wanting people to have the information is different to not wanting to be charged on the basis of that information :wink:

If people could be certain (and I agree that is a fantasy!) that their bills would not go up I am sure alot of the dissent over this system would disappear. Its not government having the data that is the problem, its the fear that the journeys you now do by car are going to get an awful lot more expensive.

For the record I do not agree with it either, but whatever the final answer to the problem is, its going to end up costing us all alot of money and inconvenience if we choose to seek alternative means of trasportation as a consequence.

Steve.

StevieB,

Sat Nav is a receive only piece of apparatus, let's not get too paranoid. :)

I know about mobiles, its a shame that they are so useful.

Having worked in IT, and (briefly - what a mistake that was) for some of the companies that get Govt. contracts, I have inside knowledge of why you should not trust them with any more of your personal details than you have to. Principally it comes down to systems being produced on the cheap, which also means that they are produced by staff who are obtained on the cheap, which is not a good way to get high quality. I think the latest example of data mismanagment is a prime example.

Oh well that is probably too political, and I will now be banned from the forum. If so Byee.

Mr Grimsdale,

I'm in favour of reducing traffic, congestion charging, speed camera's etc. All in the interests of safety, reducing pollution etc etc. Damned good thing and long overdue

Jacob,you really have to be joking. Surely you do not think for one moment that by charging us up to £1.28 mile extra (depending on the time of day and where you are) is going to cut congestion and reduce pollution? This is just another money making exercise while riding the green bandwagon.
Because of the rules of the forum I do not want to get political, so I will just say that the people who are going to make us pay this money know 100% that the motorist will not give up his/her car and that we will pay what ever have too.
A decade a two ago Lord so and so was employed to write a paper on this very subject and his team recommended that if the motorist was made to pay £3 to £3.50 a gallon it would cut congestion within months. Has it? No

I agree that something has to be done, but trying to charge us off the road will not work. Why? Because we have no reliable alternative way of getting around.
We were told 10 or more years ago that public transport would be overhauled, but this has not been done and until it is pollution and congestion will not improve.

No names but when asked if he and his family would be cutting down on their long haul holidays because of the damage plane emissions cause he was heard to say "It is a bit unreasonable to expect us to do that"
Well we live up in the north of Scotland where the nearest train service was stopped decades ago and if you can get a bus it is a 3 or 4 hour round trip to Aberdeen our nearest city, so I think it is unreasonable to expect us to give up our car.

Improve public transport and spend some of the huge taxes we already pay on the roads and congestion/pollution will be cut.

Cheers

Mike

Mr_Grimsdale":39ips1pg said:
Is there an alternative view petition anywhere?

Yes. For starters there is:
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to carry on with the local road pricing policy with the aim to reduce road traffic and spend the profits on public transport, but do not introduce vehicle tracking systems which infringe on my right to privacy.

Here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/VehicleTracking/

There might be others that more closely match your own opinion - a quick search found dozens of different petitions on road pricing. Not signed any myself though.

Dad,

Brilliant. That's the very one I want. Shame it gives the repsonse

503 Service Unavailable
The service is not available. Please try again later.

Conspiracy theory anyone? :wink:

Nick W":15cljmlx said:
Brilliant. That's the very one I want. Shame it gives the repsonse

503 Service Unavailable
The service is not available. Please try again later.

Conspiracy theory anyone? :wink:

The subject featured on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 at about 12 noon and it crashed while he was talking - probably a couple of million trying to log on :shock:

I put my name on it weeks ago.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

StevieB":26wn0803 said:
. Got Sat Nav? You let that know where you are and how fast you are travelling as well. .

Err, no. Sat nav does not report to the satellites

In the 1800's Joseph Chamberlain and co. decided that due to the increasing population of Birmingham an adequate water supply was needed. A plan was formed and the Elan Valley reservoirs were built. What a vision! How is it that any government (they have access to the best brains in Britain) can't devise a plan that will provide a proper transport system in X years time. Money should not be an issue as they will build the Olympic games facilities on time and at any cost.

Mr_Grimsdale":l3nehb7j said:
I'm in favour of reducing traffic, congestion charging, speed camera's etc. All in the interests of safety, reducing pollution etc etc. Damned good thing and long overdue
Is there an alternative view petition anywhere?

cheers
Jacob

Here here, I've just signed the petition for traffic charging , we need to ween ourselves off the car/hydrocarbons, especially when most have 4 seats and often only one is occupied.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/VehicleTracking/

One happy cyclist.

Back