Dovetailed Infill - First Fumblings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scouse":2rmu1oxv said:
Richard T":2rmu1oxv said:
...electric ...

e-lec-tric? Sorry, I didn't understand that bit; I just need to go and look it up, must be something to do magic and witchcraft or sumfink...! :mrgreen:

It was invented by Harry Potterton Scouse.....came from he who shall not be named! :mrgreen:

Imagine...those old guys at Spiers freezing their sporans off with brace and bit....we've got it easy! :mrgreen:

Jim

Going well so far

jointed6.jpg

jointed4.jpg

I didn't follow Karl Holtey's advice to merely use the flat of the hammer to bevel over the edges of the pins. I gave 'em the full pein treatment.

Elect - ric ... you know, ric for president.

Hi, Richard

Seems a lot of work, why not just weld the little sucker up that what I did for this one :wink:
DSC_0039-1.jpg

Pete

This is going to be stunning Richard!

Peining is more a feel thing...there are probably as many ways of doing it...as there are makers.

It looks like you are getting plenty of stock into the compound corners...I found steel to be easier than brass...brass tends to harden quite easily when hammered (as the bronze age people knew!)....and then split before it beds in...

Superb mate...superb!

Jim

Not to speak for Richard at all Pete....but for me at least...the answer is the same as for the question..why do people swim the channel when there's a perfectly good ferry? :wink:

Jim

Looking good Richard, this is probably the most exiting stage of the process, finding out if all those dovetails have been peined fully. I dodn't think that you've much to worry about :)

Cheers
Aled

I was browsing Konrad's blog on the S&S website (my favourite makers!) and note that you seem to be mixing in exalted circles now Richard!

Sauer and Steiner Blog

Does this mean we shall have to call you "Sir" from now on!? :mrgreen:

BTW...I simply love Konrad's new "speedboat" design...very 30's!

Jim

Cheers Karl, cheers Aled. It's also exciting to find out what shape the sole is in after all that pushing and pulling.

I did a bit more last night. I'll post later if I have made any significant head way.

Jimi wrote: "Does this mean we shall have to call you "Sir" from now on!?"

Yes. Yes it does. Lady T will be pleased when I tell her.

Ain't that plane of Konrad's be - a - utiful? I think I saw one in an Arthur Ransome book purring across Windermere.

I've been looking at different styles of Norris type adjusters and much as I dislike the one in my Veritas, I think I will have a go at one for this plane - as it's going to be longer it might have more lateral control.

jimi43":12l74b8o said:
I simply love Konrad's new "speedboat" design...very 30's!

I'm not normally a big fan of the look of infill planes, it's Richard's process of problem solving and production that I'm really enjoying here.

Having said that, and apologies for being slightly off-topic, that new Sauer and Steiner is a thing of genuine beauty.

K1ProfileBun.jpg

El.

Yup. Quite a way to go before I can compete with pictures like that ... as illustrated below: a spot of psychedelic high spot highlighting.

filinglines2.jpg

The high spots, where the file is making contact, are hatched.

filinglines.jpg

Half an hour later and there is much more contact between file and sole.

filinglines3.jpg

Earlier today. Drawing across the sole with a smaller file. Now it's ready for lapping.

Really looking forward to the next instalment! great work, I tip my hat in respect to you and your work Richard, well done =D>

I was trying to work out what was wrong with those last pictures Richard...then it struck me...

The mouth is narrower than I am used to seeing...and then it hit me...the thick sides!

DOH! (homer)

Me stupido! :mrgreen:

Are you going to overstuff the infill mate? Good luck with that!!! :mrgreen: =P~

Jim

Thanks UK Woodman

Jim they are thick sides but there is also the thickness of the peened pins that I have left while I've been filing the sole. they are the only things holding the plane horizontally in the vice. Again, boat shape = :evil:
If I made another I would make yet another jig for holding the finished shell in the vice and a different form from something very uncompressable like Oak or Ash.
Only when I am sure it is actually at the lapping stage and does not need to go back in the vice will I smooth the sides. Then the mouth will look a bit more in proportion.

Speaking of which ..... starting to file down the tails.

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Which involves filing down the splay of the tails too.

DSC00110.jpg

Starting to draw file whole length

DSC00111.jpg

And getting to the whole width ... How many time have I filed this now?

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

Till it's all nice and shiny again but this time you can't see the join. I'm amazed to be honest :shock:

Beautiful peining job there Richard...even Thomas would be proud of that work...you should be very proud indeed my friend!

Starting to form the shape of a proper plane now mate. I bet you are relieved to get past this milestone.

Can't wait to see the infills...what are you going to use? A plane of this status has to go the whole hog and have the very best ebony surely!?

Cheers mate...look forward to the next installment.

Jim

Many thanks for the kind words folks. They really help amid blood, sweat and swarf.

Thought I'd make clear how I held it to do that last bit of draw filing.

DSC00001.jpg

There. Who needs a pattern maker's vice? ...... (I do) :roll: Maybe a pressie for the new shed.

As for infills - still dunno. I would like to use something a bit special but this will be my first go at it so maybe I'd better have a practice in Elm first. I have a piece that has the mechanics of a fork inside it. I'll investigate that.

Back