Door Hinge Right Or Wrong Way ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of hanging some internal doors, and something crosed my mind :?

On a butt hinge, their are 3 legs on one side, and 2 on the other, is their a particular way round you should attach them to the door / frame ?

I know it's a bt of a bone question, it's just curiosity

BW'm putting the 3 legs on the frame, it sor of felt right

Cheers

Jed

Ah - see what you mean,

p1367386_l.jpg

never paid it any attention. Usually gone with them so that if they have any logo\writing - it's the right way up when looking at it. Be interesting to see what folk do.

yeah three on the frame for me too was how i was taught, would be interested to know if there is a reason though?!

Sorry to be the odd 1 out, but it always had to be 3 on the door. In big trouble if i ever did it the other way. Never asked why though :?

And make sure that what ever way round you fit them that the pin can't drop out :oops:

Hi,

No matter which way round one knuckle is un-used for suporting the weight, so it shoudn't matter, may be its just tradition?

Pete

Racers":3aj9tkup said:
Hi,

No matter which way round one knuckle is un-used for suporting the weight, so it shoudn't matter, may be its just tradition?

Pete

I don't agree, not sure if I can explain my reasoning (or even if its valid)

Assuming you fit three on the frame
And then put all your weight on the hung door
The pin is protected from horizontal stress by the top knuckle

I don't think that's right. The weight is felt equally by both halves of the hinge and I can't see anything that is going to make the weight asymmetric.

Whichever side of the hinge you pull on, the effect is to try and separate the two parts of the hinge. Even if you pull down on the door side of the hinge, the effect is still to attempt to twist the hinge apart. The pin will be resisting the same force regardless which side is being pulled. The hinge doesn't "know" that one side is anchored to an immovable frame and the other to a moveable door, it just resists the forces attempting to separate the two halves.

I suspect it is convention and there is no good physical reason for putting the hinge around one way or another.

Hi,

The weight of the door is only suported by 2 surfaces in the hinge either way up.
Think about a hinge with two knuckles on each side, it you add another one to the top its not surporting any weight.

Pete

Back