Door Hinge Right Or Wrong Way ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this over a hinge :lol:

Here's another one.........

What determines the depth you set the leaf into the door / frame ?

I always did the thickness of the leaf, however I'm told its half the depth of the barrel ?

Again, I only came across this today as the hinges I'm using have a much larger barrel than standard ( ball bearing type ) and I never accounted for it, leaving the Grand canyon between the door and frame :roll:

Cheers

Jed

with baring hinges if you open the leafs alittle so they are parrellel then you need to gauge centre of the gap, if you know what i mean

Keep the 2 leafs parallel & set your gauge from the outside of 1 leaf to the inside of the other leaf. If the thickness of the leaf is 2 to 3mm thick then that will be the perfect amount to sink into the door. Hang the door & when happy with it, mark round the front of the leaf with a sharp knife & remove the door. Chisel from nothing to the thickness of the leaf in the door post. The amount chiseled from the door will be the gauged line up to the leaf thickness. Not an easy thing to explain but this method does work.
If you use the ball bearing hinges, when the 2 leafs are parallel, the gap inbetween is usually spot on for clearance meaning that you just have to fit both leafs flush.
Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Woodguy

Racers":bn68q1jv said:
Hi,

The weight of the door is only suported by 2 surfaces in the hinge either way up.
Think about a hinge with two knuckles on each side, it you add another one to the top its not surporting any weight.

Pete

but think about turning moment then the top segment helps support the door, its 2 surfaces only if the force is straight up/down, as the centre of gravity is not in line with the hinges the three should be to the post not the door IYSWIM

Back