Dont know what to do now cscs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have worked on sites for about 20 years doing all aspects of joinery 1st fix, 2nd fix, shuttering,Kitchens ect and worked the last few years doing private work aswell as subcontracting but up here in the grim north not much going on work wise so ive tried to go back to sitework for a steady wage but every site i try are looking for the cscs card which i dont have so i called old collage i went to asking if they had a copy of my c&g i could send away to get my blue/gold craft card after a few days i got a reply saying i would have to apply online for a search to find my details £34.00 to c&g was sent and after about 3 weeks the reply i got was they couldnt trace my details. So now i cant get a craft card without doing onsite assesment which i believe can take months but cant get on to site without a card . has anyone got any suggestions

Why not apply for a CSCS Experienced Worker Card. By the sounds of it you should qualify. The health and safety test is pretty easy, especially if you have had any kind of H&S training. If you are worried you can get a book with all the questions and answers, Min is called 'Construction Skills Health & Safety Test' published by citb. Your local library should be able to help you with it.

When I took mine it was very straightforward. My only problem was that the system doesn't have a slot for me. I'm a technical author writing maintenance manuals for buildings, so often need access to all areas of sites un-attended however I do no actual work. In the end they gave me a Manager grade.

My wife used to run the CSCS scheme for her old firm (around 5 years ago) she is tucked up in bed now but if no one else can help let me know and I'll see if I can ask her.

Regards

James

Hi GWR

I assume that you did achieve your c&g but have lost the certificate!

Was it Northumberland College you attended?
I know that the college has undergone some radical changes over the last 2 or 3 years and it's quite possible records may have been lost but I think I'd have put a bit of pressure on them by phone or better, in person to find them.
having said that, it is of course your responsibility to keep documents safe of course.

Other possibilities would be former employers as if you needed to produce your registration, they may have photocopied and still hold on file.
Or contact City & Guilds directly - http://www.cityandguilds.com/contact-us.html Tel. 0844 5430000 as they must have you on record. - I'd phone rather than email as you usually get better service IMO

If all fails, you used to be able get a card by providing evidence of experience though I don't know the procedure - worth investigation.

Good luck with the work hunt. It's not all grim up here, there still seems to be plenty going on if you dig for it.

cheers

Bob

Thanks james that would be great i think the card you are saying is the red one that lasts 12 month non renewable

Thankyou lons i will call that number in the morning and yes ashington i attended on day release they say all there records go to c&g london i foolishly sent original as required away to germany many moons ago

on of the bricklayers i know lost his paperwork, he phoned cscs and they said all his quals are linked to his national insurance nbr and sorted him a card

sorted thanks all copy of c&g woodcrafts advanced certificate on its way gold cscs here i come phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hi
Just make sure that you get the latest question book for the cscs card as they change the questions in them when they are reprinted.
I have the gold card and it's 40 questions that you have to answer 30 questions and a further 10 questions, the only thing is that the question/answer book has over 500 quetions with answers and you have to make sure that you know the answers to most of the questions as you don't know what they will ask you, it's all muti choice which make it easier.

Best of Luck

Mooeee

Mooeee":1y4k5m8d said:
Hi
Just make sure that you get the latest question book for the cscs card as they change the questions in them when they are reprinted.
I have the gold card and it's 40 questions that you have to answer 30 questions and a further 10 questions, the only thing is that the question/answer book has over 500 quetions with answers and you have to make sure that you know the answers to most of the questions as you don't know what they will ask you, it's all muti choice which make it easier.

Best of Luck

Mooeee
Where can you buy the book?

Back