Dolls House Room 2! Santas Workshop...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
So after the success of my last room's wip I've decided to do another one. :D

Prologue......

Every year I go to a village show around the beginning of September....the Great Bentley Show.
After my partner's grandfather pasted away, it has become tradition for my partner and I to enter some categories.
Usually I enter the woodwork section, however last year I entered the box room category....so I thought.... I was months into the build when the schedule was released and the box room section had been taken out.... so it had to go into the all other crafts section....... but that and my placement is a different WIP!!!

Due to last year's result, the box room section WILL be reintroduced. So I will be entering.

I couldn't decide between a mouse house, or Santa's workshop, however I've settled on the latter.
My aim is for it to be colourful, with as much wood as possible.
I will be taking my inspiration from Santa claus the movie, and pictures from the internet.
Last years entry with the exception of a couple of items were handmade and recycled from off cuts, as a result the entire project coz a grand total of approx £3.95 =D>
This year, I'm going to stick with that concept as much as possible, but I'm not going to limit myself to that rule as it can be a little limiting to achieving the exact look I want.... so we shall see.

No plans as yet, but I think the first thing to decide is shape and style of room.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and comments...... :D

I like the idea of a timber framed building.... how would I do the wattel and daub...I.mean attaching to the beams.. Any ideas?

There will be lots of pictures... coz I loves pictures too!!!

hi melinda
i have to say following your previous wip (you know i thoroughly enjoyed that) i am really looking forward to this one.
best of luck
paul-c

dc_ni":pjnut1bb said:
I found these:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6012193_make-model-wattle-house.html
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4969738_build-wattle-daub-house.html

You could use them as a rough guide, even has the ingredients for the daub :)

I also had the thought that when you do put your entry in at the show, maybe you could also include a WIP along side it, then they could see your building methods and how much effort went into it.

Thanks for those... given me something to think about!!

paul-c":2e5hx8iw said:
hi melinda
i have to say following your previous wip (you know i thoroughly enjoyed that) i am really looking forward to this one.
best of luck
paul-c

I'm glad you're looking forward to it Paul... as soon as I dig my workshop out from the piles of shavings I've built up over the past couple of weeks (turning oodles of tree decorations)..... I'll make a start!!!

For the beams one method of construction is to use the sandwich method. Which is to have a solid centre with the windows and doors cut out then stick on the beams this means that you can paint the panel white and the beams whichever colour you want them to be then stick them on no cutting in with the paint brush. If you have a library near you go and look for "Making Doll's Houses in 1/12th scale" by Brian Nickolls in it there is a build of a Tudor house which has all the beams.

Dalboy":38scg2u8 said:
If you have a library near you go and look for "Making Doll's Houses in 1/12th scale" by Brian Nickolls in it there is a build of a Tudor house which has all the beams.

Only 1p plus postage from Amazon.

Ok so my next room has done the same as the last...... can't sleep....count sheep?...... nope, plan my room out in my head, get full up of ideas..... can't sleep even more!!!!

But anyway.... a decision has been made. I'm going to go for a log cabin construction.
It's gonna be dark bark (probably hazel as have lots to coppice at work.
The interior is then going to be light work... pine looking.

The only decision I've made about the layout is that I would like to do stairs going up to a small platform that will have Santa's desk where he checks the naughty and nice list.... like a small ......mezzanine?..... Floor

Question for the lady who does doll house lighting for a living.....

I'd like to put lighting in this one. But I want the lights to only work when a button is pushed (there's gonna be lots of people look at it on judging day and it's going to be on display from 10-4... I'm thinking on all the time will drain the batteries too quick?) Is this possible? What are your thoughts?

Also are Christmas tree lights available? I'd like to perhaps put some round some high beams and have a tree decorated.

Any info on how to wire it up... What I need ect is gratefully received as have never done anything like this before

That was jensmith but she hasn't been on the forum for a while. She did have a website I think but I don't know the address.

Melinda to make an electrical circuit you can buy copper tape which is stuck onto the walls before you wallpaper, 'plugs' are then just stuck into the wall piercing the tape so completing the circuit, I would power the circuit with a transformer but have a battery clip too just incase of power failure as a back up, everything you need can by bought from the dolls house emporium (they even do a Christmas tree!) here's the site
http://www.dollshouse.com/sector/151/do ... ghting?p=2

If you need any switches, battery clips etc let me know, I've a few lying around.

HTH

Baldhead

Many thanks for that......I'll give it a look
It has to be powered by battery as the show it will be made for is on the village green.... no power

Hi everyone

So I went quiet there for a while.
This was mainly due to waiting to see if the show actually did put the box room category back in... i'ld hate a repeat performance of last year.

Anyway... it is back in... I emailed the entry secretary and funny enough she knew my address straight away and sent me a complimentary schedule! !

So it's all systems go! Although I'm now on a limited time span!

So I think I'm back on the exposed timbers idea.
I'm also pondering the feather edge lap on the outside again but this time natural waney edge... bit more chunky so I can put fake snow on it.
As you can tell I'm still set on Santa's workshop... this could change depending on time and anything else that crops up!

So i have done my normal and left it until the last minute!
Because of this I've had to scale down my plans, simplify and choose a new theme.

The new room is 10x6, and is a simple shed type construction. .. but instead of nails... it's glue. .. (life would be much simpler! !)
And the theme is a simple potting shed

Attachments

• 20150809_135232.jpg
    20150809_135232.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 600
  • 20150809_152223.jpg
    20150809_152223.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 600
  • 20150809_182624.jpg
    20150809_182624.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 600
Back