Do you turn anything

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking through the turning forum and lately the majority of the threads are about equipment which is a good thing in that it helps people with problems, having said that there does not seem to be many items being shown that have been turned.

Do you all just have the equipment and all the fancy tools and not use them or is it that you also have other things being made which are not woodturning related.

Maybe you are new to turning and are afraid to show those first pieces, don't be as we all started there and a lot can be learnt by showing them.

Do you not show because it is just another bowl, box or whatever, all these things are all different so come on show them.

Maybe you think that your work is to good to show here and look for a site that has "The top type turners" for comments.

Maybe it is for some other reason.

I for one at this time of the year have started making my Christmas presents the first being a toy so no turning on that one but I still have a pen to turn in the next few days.

OK I am going to duck and take cover now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dalboy":6csklmcw said:
Do you all just have the equipment and all the fancy tools and not use them.....

Hahaha, I often wonder the same thing. Not specifically the turning section, but the whole forum in general. Relatively little gets posted in the Projects section, and even then half the threads are about building a workshop.... :lol:

To be honest I'm as guilty as anyone else. I rarely post up anything. That's why I started this thread, which has been quite successful :wink:

DTR":ea9lfdr1 said:
To be honest I'm as guilty as anyone else. I rarely post up anything. That's why I started this thread, which has been quite successful :wink:

There by hangs another tale, as successful as the thread has been in providing an easy show and tell with minimum input, on the face of it a good thing, and probably has resulted in the display of items that may not otherwise have been seen, it does mean that quite interesting finished items rapidly get lost in past pages and will not show on many search facilities.
And I have a feeling it's been at the expense of at least a few if not WIP threads at least more meaningful discussion about some pieces.

I do turn, but I haven't for a bit, and I'm still definitely learning my way around it. I'd assumed that a plain, slightly chunky wooden bowl or five wouldn't be of much interest!

I have promised myself that I will learn to use a digital camera and upload pictures in the next week if I get a first on Friday night at the club monthly. I need three firsts to get out of novices, and I've had two firsts and four seconds.

I've not turned anything for a few weeks, not even used my new Lathe yet ! I'm in the midst of a workbench build that I really want to get done, which I have loads of photos of but I've not made a great job of the mortices and tenons :(

Last Bowl I made

bowl.jpg

Well for me its been a year of illness related in the family and I've almost not turned the lathe on since last October. I did something for the competition and I did turn the thing on yesterday in fact to make a new cricket bale for my sons stumps as he had lost one. I also started on an oak bowl but it's got more cracks in than Jack Polance's face! I'm mustering up the courage to go and start filling it with glue and dust before I finish it.

The illness on all fronts has lightened up now so I hope to stat doing more although the illness has left another challenge in its wake which is a slight problem with cashflow which needs to be addressed. All time conspirers away from the workshop!!

And my sodding bandsaw wont start!!

Dalboy,

I think YES to all the above.

Time is always my excuse, but I have resolved to get my doobry into gear to practise to at least be able to proficiently produce acceptably shaped firewood before I forget the technique and have to re-learn months later when I next have a go. I have tried the Alan Batty video put up here a while back and although nowhere near as successful as the OP, (sorry can't remember who it was), it was a passable effort. Planning to keep hacking, then save up to justify a lesson, after which I promise to practise more. (This is becoming like Turners' Anonymous, so I'll stop now).

Greg

You raise some good points, Dalboy, all of which probably apply to different individuals among us.
For myself, the main reason I haven`t posted anything on here (or anywhere else!) for ages is that I haven`t turned anything, save the odd tool handle, for ages. Other stuff, mostly non wood-related has been getting in the way. I do look in to the forum regularly, though, and enjoy seeing the work that is posted. I agree that not much work is posted, with yourself, Chas and one or two others as notable exceptions.
As ever, it is always difficult to know how to respond to a posted piece, especially without knowing much about the person involved.
Should I say what I like about the piece and leave it at that, or should I offer some constructive criticism? Am I even "qualified" in terms of my own skill/experience to do that?
I think people are often inclined to say something vaguely encouraging along the lines of "That`s nice, what finish did you use?" and leave it at that.
As far as knowing what/whether to post examples of our work, there is always the feeling that " Well, this is just another, bowl, nothing special. Who would be interested in looking at this etc.? I`ll wait `til I have something more interesting/impressive to show."
All these factors, I think, probably contribute to the lack of work on show. Hence the preponderence of questions related to issues such as which lathe or chuck to buy, etc.
Having said all that, It`s about time I got into the workshop, produced something and showed it on here. Oh, wait! I`m going off on holiday in a few days, so .......................
That will be my priority when I get back!

As a P.S. to my post above, I was chatting to a member of a woodturning club which I was thinking about joining, and he told me that a good number of the members who attend the meetings have never been known to turn anything! Perhaps the forum is just an online manifestation of a wider outlook within the turning community - more interested in the technical aspects than in the finished product.
Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. It`s a hobby, at the end of the day.

Silverbirch":pha36wzt said:
....As far as knowing what/whether to post examples of our work, there is always the feeling that " Well, this is just another, bowl, nothing special. Who would be interested in looking at this etc.? I`ll wait `til I have something more interesting/impressive to show.".

When I first joined UKW and picked up a turning tool there was very little going on in the turning section and as it was 10 yrs ago and "Blogs" were not the norm, I started a thread of my progress as a means of enforcing some self discipline into improving my efforts, as I was used to simple web site html coding I also set to recording the bulk of the output on my website for the same reasons.

Self improvement came more or less to a halt several years ago on the achievement level as I levelled out on a plain that met my self satisfaction and became just a relaxation as and when I feel like a spin.

I certainly found the exercise of putting even the mundane up in the public eye good for self discipline and a useful indication of others opinions.

Mind you it can cause a certain amount of circumspection when you post items up that get a hundred plus views with just a couple of comments or even none at all.

Sporky McGuffin":2cildizn said:
I do turn, but I haven't for a bit, and I'm still definitely learning my way around it. I'd assumed that a plain, slightly chunky wooden bowl or five wouldn't be of much interest!

Even plain bowl can be interesting and a good thing to post by putting C & C Welcome you can get comments on them.

phil.p":2cildizn said:
I have promised myself that I will learn to use a digital camera and upload pictures in the next week if I get a first on Friday night at the club monthly. I need three firsts to get out of novices, and I've had two firsts and four seconds.

The nice thing about digital camera's is if the photo is not good you can delete it so take loads pick out the best one and post it.

Random Orbital Bob":2cildizn said:
Well for me its been a year of illness related in the family and I've almost not turned the lathe on since last October. I did something for the competition and I did turn the thing on yesterday in fact to make a new cricket bale for my sons stumps as he had lost one. I also started on an oak bowl but it's got more cracks in than Jack Polance's face! I'm mustering up the courage to go and start filling it with glue and dust before I finish it.

The illness on all fronts has lightened up now so I hope to stat doing more although the illness has left another challenge in its wake which is a slight problem with cashflow which needs to be addressed. All time conspirers away from the workshop!!

And my sodding bandsaw wont start!!

Hope things improve and you can get back into the shed soon.

gregmcateer":2cildizn said:
Dalboy,

I think YES to all the above.

Time is always my excuse, but I have resolved to get my doobry into gear to practise to at least be able to proficiently produce acceptably shaped firewood before I forget the technique and have to re-learn months later when I next have a go. I have tried the Alan Batty video put up here a while back and although nowhere near as successful as the OP, (sorry can't remember who it was), it was a passable effort. Planning to keep hacking, then save up to justify a lesson, after which I promise to practise more. (This is becoming like Turners' Anonymous, so I'll stop now).

Greg

Whenever you get chance try and post pictures some of the comments can help a great deal

I guess we all use the forum for slightly different things or in different ways. I tend to see it as a place to ask for advice or help rather than somewhere to show off what I've made so I'm more likely to come here asking if a tool's any good or how to do something rather than bunging up photos of things I've made.
I do tend to make quite a lot of bits and pieces so I think folks would get bored pretty quickly if I posted photos of everything!
Still I take your point so I'll make a point of putting up a picture or two outside of the competition pages (my drinking vessel is done and dusted - just need to get it photographed!) I'll see if I can dig out a pic of my recent cake stand later this evening to prove that even those of us who don't post many pics are often beavering away making strange things out of perfectly serviceable fire wood :)

Silverbirch":3k8tdgyl said:
As ever, it is always difficult to know how to respond to a posted piece, especially without knowing much about the person involved.
Should I say what I like about the piece and leave it at that, or should I offer some constructive criticism? Am I even "qualified" in terms of my own skill/experience to do that?
I think people are often inclined to say something vaguely encouraging along the lines of "That`s nice, what finish did you use?" and leave it at that.
As far as knowing what/whether to post examples of our work, there is always the feeling that " Well, this is just another, bowl, nothing special. Who would be interested in looking at this etc.? I`ll wait `til I have something more interesting/impressive to show."
All these factors, I think, probably contribute to the lack of work on show. Hence the preponderence of questions related to issues such as which lathe or chuck to buy, etc.
Having said all that, It`s about time I got into the workshop, produced something and showed it on here. Oh, wait! I`m going off on holiday in a few days, so .......................
That will be my priority when I get back!

I think people do not want to upset someone by commenting that is why they should as I stated in my post above put C & C welcome and as ling as peopl say why the like or dislike a piece in a friendly way then it can only help the poster of the piece in question.
And as above again ref the " Well, this is just another, bowl, nothing special. Who would be interested in looking at this etc.? I`ll wait `til I have something more interesting/impressive to show." if you don't show it how will you know.

Castanea":1c3x6gmi said:
I guess we all use the forum for slightly different things or in different ways. I tend to see it as a place to ask for advice or help rather than somewhere to show off what I've made so I'm more likely to come here asking if a tool's any good or how to do something rather than bunging up photos of things I've made.
I do tend to make quite a lot of bits and pieces so I think folks would get bored pretty quickly if I posted photos of everything!
Still I take your point so I'll make a point of putting up a picture or two outside of the competition pages (my drinking vessel is done and dusted - just need to get it photographed!) I'll see if I can dig out a pic of my recent cake stand later this evening to prove that even those of us who don't post many pics are often beavering away making strange things out of perfectly serviceable fire wood :)

I think we need a happy medium of work made as well as questions on equipment

I'm a self employed boiler engineer, 2 kids, a dog, big garden, 5 bed house I'm renovating. I also moderate on a forum for diabetics. After that I'm a woodturner! :shock:

Attachments

• sycamore decorated edge (2).jpg
    sycamore decorated edge (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 507
Well done for finding the time to produce an attractive and well finished bowl. I like the way the decorated (pyrographed?) edge frames the subtle figure of the sycamore.

Most of my recent turning (about the last six months) has been all pens except for a couple of tiny pots for a bit of fun that I don't think are really worth sharing.

As soon as I turn something other than a pen I will post it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dalboy,
Computers, cameras and I do not mix well.I have tried to post some photos and create a link to a Facebook page that s.h.m.u.b.o. and the daughter have set up,but I just give up.I shall have to get my daughter to sit down and show me how it is done,in the meantime if you or anyone else would like to see some photos of my efforts you can have a look at her page,it is Began as a Tree-PJM Woodcrafts .I will have another go at posting [soonish].

Peter.

Latest posts

Back