DIY Dust Cyclone - backwards WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":s35fsry4 said:
Thanks for the pics Mike, it's still not fully clear to me. Where are the inlet and outlets?

4098159509_8cc68e8616_o.jpg

The hose going out of the top goes to the vacuum cleaner, and the hose coming in the side attaches to the router or whatever.

Mike

Gottit. Thanks Mike. I wonder if I could get something rigged up with a drawer and a removable bucket for ease of emptying.

Yep, easy-peasy Tom. I mentioned it in an earlier post. You can do almost anything you like with the interior of the box and it would still work..........the only thing is that the box itself has to seal well. Nothing inside does, though.

Mike

Mike Garnham":2fzg5nuy said:
Right Rob,

pictures as promised......

Firstly, the door is held in place by something as sophisticated as a dowel in a hole:

Mike

Well, if you're going to be all teknical an stuff I'll just go an buy one.

:lol:

Just found this and I love the simplicity of it.

Recently bought 5 new filter bags for my Festool vac at nearly £30!!!!

I was going to get an Oneida dust deputy, but I can make this almost for free and it will fit in my garage better.
Thanks for the inspiration Mike :).

I thought this thread was about a DIY cyclone made fra a traffic cone and some scrap MDF. Perhaps I was wrong ............ :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mike Garnham":2kbupwwy said:
I promised pictures........

4098159209_72ed13ed25_o.jpg

4098159509_8cc68e8616_o.jpg

Obviously top......closed, bottom........open for dust removal.

This is the small one for my bench, but I have another over the other side of the workshop for some of the other tools which is a different shape but exactly the same principle. There is absolutely no need whatsoever for a cone or cyclone-effect .......simply create a long path for the air to get through a box, and it will drop its dust load.

One day I will make a room-sized version hooked up to a network of rainwater downpipes to all the machines.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry if I am sounding thick, but are you saying that your box system will take the place of something like the Oneida Cyclone, and would a larger one work for a complete workshop, including chips etc from a p/t or other large machine?

Cheers

Mike

This works for me, althought I could do with a larger diameter pipe when its attached to the thicknesser running at full depth.

06%20Extractor.jpg

Dust bin with a Kirby on top.

The in pipe goes straight in the side. There's no baffles and fine dust does get through to the bag. However I've not got a paper filter bag in it, just using the cloth outer bag. This need unzipping and knocking out every couple of dustbin fulls. The dustbin I empty out straight in to a bin bag.

Simple, portable and effective.

Andy

Mike - 'mikes magic box'
regarding your design - can you give us the rough size for the box in the picture

you mention that you have built another model - have you found a best size for the box or does it not really matter

thanks

Sorry, I missed this post.

The box is 800x500x300 approx, and that is utterly irrelevant to its function. It would work just as well half the size or double the size. Make it to suit the space available. I have contemplated making one as the base for my bandsaw, for instance.

Mike

hmmm. I wonder if it would be possible to have a 'dual' box.
I'm thinking 2 inlets and 2 outlets - one hoover size (52mm ? for routers etc) and one chip collector size (100mm).
I think I'll need to build one of these boxes and have a play.

I think it will work........so long as you shut a valve off to isolate the on-duty hose. Have a play...........you could do a lot of people a favour.

Mike

I don't think it will work......But I could be wrong !!!

Vacuum cleaners work on the principle of high pressure and low volume this is fine with small diameter pipework, extractors with 100mm and above work on low pressure and high volume. If you have 100mm pipework connected to a vacuum cleaner you will not move enough air to remove the wood chips from a planer. I have tried a small pipe connected to 100mm pipework to use a sander but was far less efficient than the hoover.

Latest posts

Back