Disposing of MDF Waste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I work from home and produce MDF waste which I'm having difficulty disposing of. I'm not talking about industrial quantities ..I probably use 2 - 3 sheets a week on average, and only a small proportion of it is wasted, but I only have limited space and it builds up quite quickly. I have burned it in the past, but it smells quite bad and the I don't wand to upset the neighbours. I don't really want to pay for commercial waste service because I think it would be rather impractical for the small quantity involved. I'd like to take it to the local council recycling centre, but they only accept household waste so I don't think I'd get away with doing that. Any suggestions?

Richard.

Fold the seats down in your car mate and take it down to your local tip...thats what I do....if they ask just tell em its domestic waste..from a project.....I have been known to time it between 12-1300 because thats when they are in the cabin having lunch...or anytime its raining :lol: especially if I have owt dodgy to chuck in the skip...

D

Unfortunately we don't have much room in the wheelie bin since changing over to fortnightly collection. The tip would be the best solution for me, but I worry about getting caught and fined. The trouble is I cut parts from the MDF using a cnc router and the waste doesn't exactly look like it's left over from a domestic diy project. I suppose I may get away with it if I cut the sheets down into small pieces.

Thanks,

Richard.

burn it better !

if you get a good air flow and decent chimney, there will be little smell.

If in doubt, burn it on windy days.

you can get 'no smoke' rated log burners (ok for smokeless zones) if you want to take it a step further and heat your house and hot water !

We disposed of a van-load of wooden laths at our local tip and there was no questions asked. I must have made about 20 trips past the portacabin with a dustbin full of them. But the rugby was on so maybe that was why they didn't take any notice....

If they collect wood, and you don't have a load of it :roll: then there shouldn't be any problem. And don't worry about the shape of your scraps - I saw a garden chair swing (complete with trellis) in the skip once!

Mark

If you don't want to burn it, ask around and see if someone who has a stoves wants to, you may even get it collected.

Tom

If you get a woodburner, or know anyone who has one, advise them to only burn one piece at a time, there's a lot less smell that way. Ask me how I know.

doctor Bob":2b1nvnvf said:
OK.........How do you know?

Well, I guess that would be because I also produce a certain amount of MDF offcuts (birch ply too) and I have a woodburner. I find that it can get very smelly if it burns too hot, and the best way is to get a fire going, then let it die back a bit, then put a single piece of mdf (or birch) and let it burn before putting a another piece on. It seems to burn quite a bit hotter than do normal logs, and in my experience once it does get too hot that's when it starts getting smelly.

Thanks for all replies. Burning the waste mdf on a woodburner of some kind would be a good solution with the added benefit of free heat in winter, providing I can minimise the smoke nuisance. I enquired about purpose made workshop stoves some time ago and was told that they are not suitable for mdf because it gets too hot. I'd be interested to know what kind of woodburner people recommend for this.

Thanks,

Richard.

Lord Kitchener":3k79dlmo said:
If you get a woodburner, or know anyone who has one, advise them to only burn one piece at a time, there's a lot less smell that way. Ask me how I know.

I will ask this ...

Lord Kitchener ! cool name !

How did you know of it ?

Tusses":25l7lktk said:
Lord Kitchener":25l7lktk said:

I will ask this ...

Lord Kitchener ! cool name !

How did you know of it ?

Are you asking how I know of Lord Kitchener
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Ki ... _Kitchener
the name is my case is a pun, as I make my living making kitchens

or

how I know about burning MDF?

Back