Display Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert187

Reaction score
My son has just left the army and I'm looking for ideas for a display box . He has a few medals, and I thought about a small box about 300mm with enough room to mount his medals and belt. My good lady has suggested a kind of picture frame lid where she could mount an embroidery of his regimental badge.
Has anyone come across anything like this?
I'm open to ideas!
Robert (Scotland)

The Americans do things like this to hold flags and medals, try googling flag display cases for ideas. :wink:

Thanks,I've had a look and they certainly have potential.
I'm not sure whether to have a closed lid and simply to make a storage box, with the embroidery set into the lid.

Hi Robert,
They are called shadow boxes,i used to work as a picture frmaer and i used to build a deep frame (either from scratch or you can buy deep mouldings) and seal the glass into the front of the frame with silicon or hot glue etc and the cut the mounting and backing etc just smaller than the overall size of the frame,then after mounting the medals etc the backing and mounting can be screwed onto the frame,so its easy to chage by just unscrewing the back.

hope that makes sense :shock: ,ill try and explain it a bit clearer if this is utter rubbish?

Joe

I made something similar for SWIMBO when we came back from our hols in the US of A. She likes to collect 'pins' (as worn by President Bush in his lapel) from each different place we went to, and I mounted them on some green baize in a deepish picture frame. Made one for her last year after our hols in Switzerland which cantains a lump of the Matterhorn as well...going again is September so will be able to add a few more to the collection - Rob

I sometimes make these for my picture framing neighbour, for everything from football boots to a skull. Recently there has been a demand for putting lights in as well and it can be quite effective if subtly done.

Dom

I have made oodles of these simple boxes from thin ply or pine for displaying Flat figures and flat figure dioramas. I use perspex for the lids although glass would be better for medals.
There is a book I own called the art of Diorama that gives plans for these boxes.
I also use piano hinges
It may be found on Amazon.
Good luck

Back