Disastrous day in the shop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a load of 25mm MDF for a media unit cut and ready to paint but decided to try applying 2 part filler to the edges first, which is something i've read about but not yet tried. It was a nightmare to sand and took me forever because i applied it too thick in places. Needed to spread it out better but the MDF soon starts drying it out and coupled with it setting as you use it, was not a good experience but lesson learned.

Second job before i started to paint was making 6 tapered wooden legs which my media unit will sit on. I had a newel post which i removed from a job which was made form Hemlock and very heavy and dense but covered in paint. 'Twas tapered from 100mm to 80mm and i needed to resaw it to 70mm square stock for my legs which would eventually become 100mm long x 70mm tapering to 40mm. My workshop has been unused for a good while and my band saw not used in anger for over a year. The cast iron top was slightly rusted and i set about giving it a good clean and oil inside and out and oiling all the moving parts, before changing to a new blade and re-setting all the guide bearings. Checked the tables and fences for flat and square and finally turned it on. The first side cut ok and a bit more fettling made the second side cut much better. Cut the third side and went to do the final one to get it all square, when bang went my bandsaw and the blade stopped dead despite the motor carrying on. Switched it off and open the door to find the rubber sleeve on the top wheel had come apart and wrapped itself around everything. Cut it all away and it was perished in several places. That was the end of that.

Had to finish them off on my chopsaw which meant making a a jig to hold them still and cut the required angles while keeping my digits well out of the way. Got everything ready to go and attached my extractor from the back of my table saw to the port of the chopsaw. Turned on the extractor and it sucked the plastic bag up inside the metal housing and went bang again as the bag developed a huge split in it. I've always hated the Record Power extractor i have and from day one had to put a 2 litre bottle of water in the bottom of the bag to stop this from happening, a tip i gleaned from this site when i first got it. Even with the bottle in it still happened and also bent the metal bar that goes across the bottom. Not sure why this happens but it's seriously annoying. Finished the job with my henry hoover attached to the chop saw.

Decided at this stage to forget the painting and do another little job i have been meaning to get to, which was attaching a moulding to the top of a cupboard i started but never finished back in the summer. Cut the mitres and got my air pinner out, switched on the compressor and nothing, totally dead. Checked the socket and the fuse but still nothing. Got my Rapesco electric pinner out which i use for work in my day job and started to pin said moulding. 3 pins in and the fourth time i pulled the trigger, nothing, totally dead. Again i checked the electricity supply and fuses and nothing; it's also dead.

At this point i packed in for the day and came inside. Don't think i have ever had so many things go wrong in one days work in my entire woodworking career. I broke just about everything i touched today and i'm hoping tomorrow brings some better reward.

That certainly is a bad day, sometimes better to just lock the door and go back in the daylight when it's calmer

Wow, what a day !

If it's any consolation I have had a few like that as well, don't take it personally..
A joiner in the neighbouring workshop came in holding two beautifully made fielded cabinet doors the other day, trouble is they were 100mm too wide (the old tape measure trick) I could feel the pain in his eyes...

davin":vc56dwz3 said:
Wow, what a day !

If it's any consolation I have had a few like that as well, don't take it personally..
A joiner in the neighbouring workshop came in holding two beautifully made fielded cabinet doors the other day, trouble is they were 100mm too wide (the old tape measure trick) I could feel the pain in his eyes...

Yep, made that mistake once or twice. Usually it's the 1000mm/1100mm that does the trick.

"it's all dead, Dave" wow, that's a pretty bad day, but the next is bound to be better.

A tip regarding 2pack body filler and similar - if you need to spread it thinnish, I always and I mean ALWAYS cut it 20% - 50% with fibreglass resin (depending on how runny you need it). It uses the same hardener and neither will affect the other, what it will do however is give you a medium that can be spread with a rubber spatula, still set extremely hard and sand back glass smooth (make sure you use a block to prevent localised cutting through it), perfect for making edges of MDF ready for a sprayed paint finish. For MDF you could just use the resin, but that soaks in too much, and while it will give you the same effect, it's much harder sanding evenly and can be patchy.

another tip - keep to the "pea to golfball" ratio for this mix too, don't be tempted to add more and expect it to remain workable for a bit longer, however with the consistancy right it'll take you half the time to get twice as much covered.

Cover the side edges with masking tape and catch the runs!!

Good info rafezetter, thanks.

It's a cold, wet, miserable day and i'm about to enter the fray again.

I find using MR mdf and then sanding the edges thoroughly down to 320grit works. Enough sanding seems to burnish the edge getting rid of the fluff and restricts how much the edge soaks up finish.

Try Dolphin Glaze by U-pol.
My BIL's boys use it on the cars and I've used it on mdf a few times. A little goes a long way.

I have found that MRMDF and Zinnser bin are brilliant. Morrells also make an MDF sealer that is brilliant but only available in 5 ltr cans. :wink:

I've been trying the brummer yellow label stopper, seems good and you can thin it with a little water. sands well and you can use your fingers to apply if needed (washes off with ease).

Thanks for all the tips chaps. Been sanding and priming all day and the edges have come up well using the 2 part filler but i think i'll try something different and quicker/easier next time. SWIMBO wants a couple of painted kitchen wall cabinets making, so it won't be long before i get to try another method. I like the stopper idea as it's nice stuff to work with, though i haven't bought any for years. I'm off to the decorators merchants in the morning for more abrasives, so will pick up some stopper and maybe give the zinnser a look too.

Pleased to report that i broke nothing today but the only things i plugged in were a heater and my radio.

skipdiver":2fkl5zk2 said:
Got a load of 25mm MDF for a media unit cut and ready to paint but decided to try applying 2 part filler to the edges first, which is something i've read about but not yet tried. It was a nightmare to sand and took me forever because i applied it too thick in places. Needed to spread it out better but the MDF soon starts drying it out and coupled with it setting as you use it, was not a good experience but lesson learned.

This is why I hate MDF. Decent plywood all the way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back