Disaster with a trend diamond stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary M

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I thought i would share my disaster with you all.
I bought a double sided trend diamond stone, 7" x 2.5" course one side and fine on the other.
I picked up a few old chisels a few days ago, and decided to work on them today.
As i have read on various posts, WD40 is a recommended lubricant.
So i set about flattening the back of the first chisel, squirt of WD40 and away i went.
Checking progress, i was surprised that it was taking so long, so after a few minutes i thought it must be clogged up with removed metal.
I dried it and gave it a rub with the cleaning rubber supplied with it.
To my horror there is a large patch on the stone where the diamonds used to be :shock:
I will post some pics tomorrow.
Has anyone any idea what could have caused this ??
The instructions clearly state that it is guaranteed for five years if you use trend lapping fluid. It also stated it is not guaranteed if it is used incorrectly :(
I fear that the WD40 has done the damage, and as it is not the correct lubricating fluid, my guarantee is void ??
Any opinions ??
Cheers,
Gary.

I have no experience of the Trend stones, but have used DMT diamond stones (the polka dot ones) for many years (at least 10) with either WD40 or 3-in-1 oil with no ill effects. The DMT website says it's OK to use oil on their stones. Several others on here also use oil of various types on their diamond stones (WD40,; 3-in-1;lamp oil; Johnsons baby oil; and others) so I would be surprised if the oil has caused the problem :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Gary
I'd return the stone for a replacement - there is a high percentage of failure in diamond plate manufacturing. You should have no problem getting a replacement - the diamonds are supposed to stay on the stone :wink:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi Gary

I've got one of these stones, and have used various lubricants with it, including 3-in1, WD40, Camelia oil and water (or whatever else is on hand).

Like Philly says, i'd return it for a refund/replacement. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Cheers

Karl

is the area completely smooth? Or is there just a noticeable visual difference but still rough to the touch? I have had a similar thing happen with my EZE Laps and assumed it's a kind of bedding in? The other thing I have since learned is not to press to hard on diamond stones.

Certainly if the diamonds have completely shed, then send it right back!

Thanks for the replies,
few pics,

work328.jpg

work319.jpg

Im glad to hear its not my fault :oops:
So i will send it back and see what happens
Many thanks,
Gary.

Well Gary, considering that the only thing on earth that can damage diamonds, are diamonds themselves, I would say you have been sold sub-standard goods, grounds enough for replacement FOC, I'd say.

Regards,

Rich.

This happened to my Trend stone too, to be honest I haven't examined it *that* closely ever since I put it away in disgust last year, so I don't know if it stripped the diamond like I thought or whether it was maybe just 'bedded in'. It was certainly markedly different across the centre of the stone even though I always endeavour to use the whole surface as evenly as possible. Looks just like Gary's pictures of his stone if I remember correctly.

Vormulac":30zsdob9 said:
This happened to my Trend stone too, to be honest I haven't examined it *that* closely ever since I put it away in disgust last year, so I don't know if it stripped the diamond like I thought or whether it was maybe just 'bedded in'. It was certainly markedly different across the centre of the stone even though I always endeavour to use the whole surface as evenly as possible. Looks just like Gary's pictures of his stone if I remember correctly.

Not sure but I think these Trend stones come with a 5 years guarantee, so you should still be able to change it.

Can someone please explain the term bedding in when applied to diamond stones, as i have recently purchased a DMT Dia Sharp stone.
And when flattening the back of a chisel, a diamond came out, and was trapped between the chisel & stone, which gouge the stone quite noticeably. This happened several times. There are no visible patches that i can see like Gary M

Simon

Interesting how diamond stones are falling out of favor with woodworkers. I have never had a very good experience with diamond stones, and have posted many times that I felt they were not a good investment for the hand tool sharpener. Now, most of the posts around the various forums report rapid degradation of diamond stones or even failure; such as in this thread. I think this is a shame, because diamond stones seemed to be such a good solution to the problems we face in tool sharpening. I still use mine occasionally for things such as scissors or router bits, where they provide a good surface to register the tool against. In general, they do not approach the keenness required to get a top notch edge on planes and chisels.

Update:
I have e-mailed dmt,

They informed me that it might have been a been caused by a small nickel nodule that broke free during flattening of my chisel back. Any scratches visible should not affect the performance of the whetstone and there is no need to be concerned!

Simon

Handrubbed":2zgtkez8 said:
Interesting how diamond stones are falling out of favor with woodworkers. I have never had a very good experience with diamond stones, and have posted many times that I felt they were not a good investment for the hand tool sharpener. Now, most of the posts around the various forums report rapid degradation of diamond stones or even failure; such as in this thread.

I think one of the problems is that there are a lot of cheaper chinese sourced stones around, as well as the age old problem that one person (or ten people) with a bad experience tend to make more noise than a hundred (or ten thousand) with a good experience.

Generally, on this forum, those with DMT stones at least seem to be very happy. I've never had trouble with mine.

I think this is a shame, because diamond stones seemed to be such a good solution to the problems we face in tool sharpening. I still use mine occasionally for things such as scissors or router bits, where they provide a good surface to register the tool against. In general, they do not approach the keenness required to get a top notch edge on planes and chisels.

Well, they don't go to the very finest grit, if that's what you mean, but that's easily solved by adding a last stage of spyderco or honing. If that it isn't what you mean, I haven't got a clue what you do mean.

For what it's worth, I went from waterstones to diamonds a few years back and every time I sharpen I am grateful that I did.

Bedding in Simon, as I understand it, is the manner in which the 'feel' of the stone changes after you first use it.
From new they feel rather coarse, as though you've been supplied with perhaps a coarser grade than you asked for.
As you use them the surface feel changes and becomes finer, in fact they can feel as if the diamonds have all worn away. The stone is now 'bedded in'.

Roy.

In general, they do not approach the keenness required to get a top notch edge on planes and chisels.

My DMT Ultra Fine is 1000+ grit and in a few seconds gives me an edge that's sharp enough to slice hairs. Does anyone actually need to get a sharper edge than this on a regular basis?!

Marcus

What is this goal of bald patches when sharpening chisels and plane blades? The ease of cut and finish are the standard to needed sharpness, right? We're woodworkers not barbers.

What is this goal of bald patches when sharpening chisels and plane blades?

I think the appearance of bald spots was a source of complaint, not an ambition! :D

Marcus

Digit":1lz4u4z4 said:
Bedding in Simon, as I understand it, is the manner in which the 'feel' of the stone changes after you first use it.
From new they feel rather coarse, as though you've been supplied with perhaps a coarser grade than you asked for.
As you use them the surface feel changes and becomes finer, in fact they can feel as if the diamonds have all worn away. The stone is now 'bedded in'.

Roy.

Thanks for taking the time to explain (Bedding in) Roy

Simon

The diamonds are held onto the steel with nickel plating, the initial roughness is this nickel - this quickly wears off revealing the diamonds
The diamonds can be plucked out of the nickel, particularly if you rub pointy bits of metal over them, or near edges - lots of those on the dotty stones
(My dmt have all retired due to baldness and unflatness)
Matt

Back