digital vernier caliper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
memzey":1aw6ke6z said:
Is there an advantage to digital callipers as opposed to the regular old fashioned ones?
They are just SO much easier to read, so you're less likely to make an error.

I bought a cheap (£7) one from eBay about six years ago and it's been reliable and hugely useful. I've only had to change the battery once and that cost peanuts.
The same sort is still available http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Digital-LCD ... 2ec3149f37

have a set of hilkas (in fact have 2, one lives with the metal lathe) and never had a problem, also have a full set of analogue Mitutoyo gear which includes metric and imperial calipers, micrometers, depth and bore measurement and dial test gauges with suitable bases (engineer who turned to wood working). I know the mics are calibrated so I check the hilkas on a regular basis, they are still within tolerance (0.01mm) after 5-8 years use. they aren't meant to be more accurate than that, thats what micrometers are for.

the workzone stuff in aldi look identical to the hilkas and most likely are.

I dearly love calipers - so much easier to use than a rule for measuring thicknesses.

My normal user is a REALLY cheap, plastic, one.

This sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-2Pc-Pl ... B002MD60VQ

Accurate enough for most woodwork, direct reading to a mm. No battery issues.

I've also got a mechanical dial gauge and a "proper" vernier, but I don't need them very often.

BugBear

bugbear":1njnax2t said:
I dearly love calipers - so much easier to use than a rule for measuring thicknesses.

My normal user is a REALLY cheap, plastic, one.

This sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-2Pc-Pl ... B002MD60VQ

Accurate enough for most woodwork, direct reading to a mm. No battery issues.

I've also got a mechanical dial gauge and a "proper" vernier, but I don't need them very often.

BugBear

I've got a couple of those that I use for all sorts - good to a mm as you say and quite happy around water/oil/muck. The other much neglected use of the caliper is the tail as a depth gauge.

Out of curiosity I did a quick Google and they do exist - solar powered calipers! This could be a nice solution for those with battery issues - although it still uses a battery for backup.

Another benefit of digital calipers (at least the ones that I've got) is if you routinely work in metric and Imperial you can switch between the two at the press of a button; I still prefer my dial calipers and won't be changing back.

I'm surprised nobody's pointed out that "Digital Vernier" is just plain wrong - I claim my pedant badge!

KevM":fu75bb0e said:
I'm surprised nobody's pointed out that "Digital Vernier" is just plain wrong - I claim my pedant badge!

it got deleted out of my post before posting. :lol: the pedant badge I already have is getting to big to wear.

Thanks for all your advice....
To sum up

Difference in price is down to quality of manufacture rather than accuracy of measurement.
Digital is easier to read.
Battery life may be an issue.
Aldi seems a good place for a first dip.

Thanks

Battery life is a non issue if you buy the little disc batteries in bulk from one of the Internet battery sellers. I bought a bulk buy of ten a while back and it was under a tenner. It makes the battery issue a consumable at very little cost just as long as you plan in advance.

I've always used the Axy one which was under £20 when I bought mine years ago. I've changed the battery twice in about 7 years and its accurate to at least 1/10th mm if not 1/100th. My eyes are too short sighted now to read the smaller scale on my original verniers so visibility is a key for me. I have to say, other than vanity, unless you need guaranteed tolerances on the more expensive ones I see no rational reason to justify them.

I would start with the Aldi one (if available) and check it for accuracy then go from there. Sometimes cheap actually is good simply because it works.

novocaine":167271l8 said:
the pedant badge I already have is getting to big to wear.

Shouldn't that be "too big to wear"? :twisted:

I don't understand why woodworkers want a vernier caliper in the first place. Mine is within arm's reach of the bench and I've never once had the urge to use it for a woodwork task :?

DTR":737xx7kz said:
novocaine":737xx7kz said:
the pedant badge I already have is getting to big to wear.

Shouldn't that be "too big to wear"? :twisted:

I don't understand why woodworkers want a vernier caliper in the first place. Mine is within arm's reach of the bench and I've never once had the urge to use it for a woodwork task :?

hehe, yes it should be.

I use mine for setting up the table saw. quicker than a ruler. :lol:

Hi

Another advantage of digital callipers over dial or mechanical is the ability to be able to zero them at any point within their range - saves a lot of mental arithmetic.

Regards Mick

Random Orbital Bob":398m9b59 said:
I would start with the Aldi one (if available) and check it for accuracy then go from there.
Presumably by measuring something you already an accurate measurement of?
For instance a Drill bit?

Mike

I test my verniers on feeler gauges. I've got a set that goes up to 1mm and down to 0.04mm and my cheapie from Axy is always within one or two 100ths of a mm on any of the 8 or so thicknesses in the set. In fact more often than not its bang on.

The advantage of a feeler gauge is you can take it with you to Aldi and fire one up to test it (pull the little battery saver tape out and switch it on).

Random Orbital Bob":219kmhk3 said:
The advantage of a feeler gauge is you can take it with you to Aldi and fire one up to test it (pull the little battery saver tape out and switch it on).
Have you seen any significant errors when checking different examples ?

I bought the Axi ones for about £24 a couple of years ago. Although they were listed as Axi's own they came in a box with Gemred embossed on it. Not that I cared really - I chose the Axi ones over the Gemred because they were £2 cheaper at the time.
Use them most days and still got the original battery.

Back