Diamond files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia28

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just acquired some new tools and having the time to actually do some turning, I decided to try a spherical hollow form today. I was struggling a bit with the hollowing, the scraper tip didn't seem to be cutting much even after plenty of adjustment of the tool rest etc. I have ruined a few of these tips on the grinder before and keep meaning to purchase a holder to do this properly, but haven't yet. What I did pick up some months ago was a diamond file. Anyway, the difference after a few passes with the files was amazing with good, clean cuts removing plenty of material. After supper, I'll go and finish it. Any tips on how best to use these or the grinder to sharpen the scrapers properly?

Andy

If you're talking about a scraper with a replaceable cutter tip like this or the Sorby one then I don't sharpen them on the grinder at all as that removes metal too quickly (I have a high speed grinder). Pretty soon you'd be left with a cutter that doesn't reach past the end of the tool that's holding it.

I usually remove the cutter from the tool and rub it flat on a diamond stone similar to this one
If I can't be bothered removing the cutter then I'll hone the small, near vertical edge of the cutter being careful not to round over the top edge.

For the odd occasion that I do sharpen on the grinder I made myself a holder for the cutter out of a long bolt and nut - put the bolt through the cutter, put the nut on the bolt and tighten so the nut is held between the bolt head and the nut. The bolt end has been sharpened to a point on the grinder so it fits into the base of my Trugrind sharpening system. The cutter can now be rotated against the grinding wheel at a constant angle

Duncan

Thanks Duncan, yes I was talking about the Sorby ones. Looks like a diamond stone is required then. I was talking about a handled version of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/prod ... -21933.htm which I rubbed up the short edge of the scraper - made a great difference for a while. Think I'll also try and cobble up a jig for my Sorby grinding system as you describe.
Cheers, Andy

Back