Diabetes & Woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Dunno if any of you out there are diabetic? I have type 1 with jabs (have had it 30 yrs now). Just wondered if I was alone (I suspect not)!?

At least from the stats it is more likely that there are type 2 diabetics out there? Although it doesn't stop me doing much that I have done in my life, it does from time to time slow you down. Simply because if I get symptoms for a low blood sugar I then have to eat to recover and it can take at least half an hour to recover. It is darn annoying when it happens as jobs sometimes get disturbed. Not only that but it may be dangerous to operate machines (although not so far).

I play football every week, I ski, cycle, and do all sorts of other normal activities, but it still a nuisance not least because you are constantly thinking about whether you have enough carbs inside you to do an energetic task.

So, anybody else in this club?

cheers
HM

Hi HM,

Glad to see that your diabetes isn't stopping you being active. In fact you seem to do more than most people.

I don't have diabetes, but my daughter has since she was four. My life has changed a lot since then, but not neccessaraly for the worse. I'm an academic researcher and spend most of my time now investigating physical activity in capillary blood glucose regulation, beta cell homeostasis and other related problems. I work with clinicians and basic scientists in Southampton, Warwick and Sheffield on human and lab trials. Guess what got me involved in this research area.

Do I count as an associate member :? ?

Best wishes, Andy

:D I have dibeties but its not stop me doing woodwork or other things not easy but try to leave a normal life been a lot beter snice i got made redunant less stess .

Martyn

Hi Martyn & Andy

Andy - sounds like you are deep in the understanding of diabetes! Of course, you are an associate member! So before your daughter became diabetic I guess you were researching other areas of biological science? By "physical activity in capillary blood glucose regulation" do you mean physical activity of the diabetic and the effect on blood glucose regulation? If so, what are you specifically investigating, is it the mechanisms, trends or how to maintain blood glucose levels independent of activity? Sounds interesting. I am still trying very hard to balance my levels no matter what I do from day to day, and it is extremely hard. As far as getting diabetes from an early age is concerned (I was 9 when I was diagnosed), the most difficult period is obviously the teenage years. The metamorphosis from child to adult is tough enough for most, but I was in severe denial and did not look after myself. In fact, it wasnt until I was nearly 30 when I realised that I really do need to look after myself now. Diabetes can also be pretty depressing for the individual, this is also very important to monitor and support. I wish you and your daughter well in years to come, but as you can see you can live a full life, it just needs to be managed.

Martyn - Is yours type 2 or 1? It's good to see that it's not stopping you too (it shouldn't!). Stress is also a major contributor to maintaining your blood glucose levels, I became a team leader at work a few years ago and it affected me badly so I gave it up. If anything diabetes has made me more determined to have a go at things and live a healthy life. In fact, really the control of diabetes is basically eating a normal balanced diet. That means that you can have some chocolate ( a small amount) or crisps, a beer or a glass of wine, but it must not be in mega portions. However, even the best of us go a bit mad occasionally and drink too much or eat too much, but in my case I have to try and curb it and stay focussed on the good things to eat.

Anyway, good luck to you both.

cheers
Steve

PS. Andy, if you find a cure can you add me to your list of human triallists! :lol:

Type 2 here. No where near as serious as Type 1 but can be a bit draining.

I have lost some weight. About 11 Kgs but still need to lose another 6 Kgs to get to my ideal weight.

Diet is completely changed...healthy or what...but that is really down to my wife god bless her.

The worst problem is that I feel very tired in the afternoons. Partly through trying to eat less, partly from long days but more so than I would like. So getting home late ( 7.00pm or later) means no workshop time as I am too cream crackered and time in the workshop would become unsafe.

Stay healthy.

regards
alan

:D hi i,m type 2 but insurlin based I'm not produceing any insurlin at all i'v been told it's late onset. Stress can sure make a mess of it I spent nealy 2 years as a manager in IT and working in kent and haywards heath ( i live in dorset ) it nealrly killed me i,m just about ok again now it keep me out the game a bit but back now.bur i do stop if i stat to get a bit tied you learn to live as you can.

Martyn :D

This isn't the first place i'd have looked for these experiences but thanks for posting all the same.
My mother is type 2 insulin dependant and its always a concern whether she's going to have a hypo or not; she doesn't have the confidence to insist on eating when she needs to and will put meals off if she doesn't feel it fits in with peoples plans. She had a hypo yesterday because she was waiting for me to finish fixing a sink rather than just getting on with it and eating.

Sorry I'm rambling… I don't live with her so its a worry. Its useful to see other's views as mum doesn't really talk about it enough. Thanks.

You're not rambling milky, it's natural to be concerned.
Six weeks after I was diagnosed with cancer my wife was diagnosed as type 2, which was a double shock to us as she was in no way in the 'at risk' class, and she was so busy supporting me that it took her quite a time to come to terms and discipline herself to her needs rather than mine.
God bless her.

:D it sounds like you mother is a bit like me i still get embarrass about injection and its been six years and disappearing to the toilet to inject and test make me feel uneasy this is going to sound like pot kettle and black but you need to talk to her to find out if there are any issues I've got an outstanding wife to nag and keep me in check

Martyn

Hi Steve,

The work I am doing with physical activity and BG regulation is supported by Diabetes UK. We have 30 T1 volunteers and we will examine their body composition, fitness, fatness, lipids etc. Using a small device we can measure their physical activity energy expenditure (calories/METS) continuously over prolonged periods to get a very good view of lifestyle and the nature of activity that they engage in. Similarly, for BG we can use a minature continuous measuring device inserted around the stomach area that wirelessly transmitts values to a monitor. This allows us to build up all three sides of the diet/activity/insulin triangle with a fuller picture than other researchers have had before. With this data we can do a number of things, but my primary interest is predictive modelling to try and devise better care strategies that yield improve HBA1c results. By measuring people at different points throughout the year we also hope to capture some of the annual variations that can have a significant impact on BG control. I could go on for many pages, but there should be an overview on Diabetes UKs website sometime soon. I also do some work at a very basic level looking at the pancreatic cellular environment and mechanisms to maintain beta cells. I have another project in the pipeline in coronary care which involves the control of insulin and glucose infusion after heart attacks as elevated BG is common and delatory to recovery. I also look at T2 and metabolic syndrome and the theraputic affect of pragmatic increases in physical activity.

I know from 7 years experience with my daughter that getting the balance right is not always easy and that no matter how hard you try things can always go wrong. Keeping fit and active though makes it all much easier. We got her a pony a few years ago and that made a big difference not just in control but also in self esteem and well-being - as well as my bank balance. In some ways the whole thing has bought us closer together as a family, improved our diet and led to my interest in woodwork (to get back on topic).

Don't worry, if I found a cure I'd want everyone to know.

Andy

This condition is more common than you think and as the press keep saying it is increasing all the time. There are many who probably don't even know they have the condition.

Milkman, your Mum obviously needs some support. This is what I was saying in my earlier post, that the psychological side needs just as much support as the physiological side. Most who get this become lost, it is especially difficult if you get it at an older age because you have had a lifetime of eating and drinking what you want and when you want. It is very important to have a scheduled diet (in my case with type 1) and injections. I take 4 jabs a day, breakfast, lunch, tea and bedtime, and at those times I eat to balance the insulin given (except for bedtime where I eat nothing).

I eat plenty of slow releasing carbs (cereals, rice, bread, pasta, most fruits), these are essential to keep my body on an even keel. If I eat fast releasing sugary products (chocolate, cakes, biscuits, pastries, sweets, etc) then I will get a quick boost of sugar, but the bad thing is that as it goes up fast (my blood sugar level) it also follows that it then falls extremely rapidly and it may actually cause a low blood sugar later on. Similarly alcohol reduces your blood sugar levels but in a delayed way, usually in the middle of the night or early the next day (if taken on the evening before). It is very complicated the interaction between different foods and drinks, and this combined with what you do as an individual (e.g. sitting down all day, or going for a run, even playing with the kids, etc) over time during the day and at which points of the day means that you have a very complex situation. If you are elderly I suspect it is a bit easier because you tend to sit down more and therefore your day is predictable. Regular meals with whatever medication (adjusted to suit the individual) should keep the body balanced. If you have been recently diagnosed you may need to see your doctor to discuss your insulin dosage, and see a dietician, this is very important until you find the right control.

As I said, I play football (old mans non-competitive stuff! :wink: ) on a Thursday night just to keep sort of fit, we play at 9pm for one hour of 5aside, and I have to reduce my insulin beforehand and afterwards to prevent myself from going into a hypo the following morning at about 11am! I don't always get it right, but I do make sure I check my blood sugars the following morning as well as before and after the game so that I can eat something extra as needed. But the exercise is really needed so it is about managing these different situations.

You mention embarrassment, this is a tricky thing for some, I guess I have never been shy/embarrassed about injecting in front of people. It is something you have to do and I feel that if people know that I am diabetic that it is good for them to know. I inject myself at the restaurant table at work simply because I need to know and estimate how much insulin to inject before I eat the meal I have bought. Until I have bought the meal I can not say how much to inject. So then my colleagues get to see this happening and they are used to it. Unless someone else is particularly squeamish I don't think they mind. They cant see it anyway. I feel that it is very important to be open about it and let people know. Then if anything does happen to you they know immediately that it may be as a result of diabetes.

I apologise to those of you who already know this, and hope that some of it may be of use to somebody out there. Basically, Milkman, as Martyn says you need to talk to your Mum.

All the best
HM

I am Type II late onset, using insulin. For me the main issues are tiredness and poor immunity, which is a bit of a killer when you are in a building with 1300 other people...
Which is one of the reasons I am retiring this year.
Mind you, my blood glucose is nothing like controlled, which is hard on school food, and even on take-in lunches. Actually, it is impossible on school food, where there is absolutely no understanding of medical dietary needs at all. All pasta with loads of greasy cheese and oil.

Society Dick, make exceptions for people with visible problems. A white stick for example is likely to result in people helping you.
I am partially deaf in the left ear from an infection and use an aid, I am stone deaf in the right as the result of a skull fracture and brain damage. :roll: and people treat you like a congenital silly person till they understand.
I am fortunate in living in a small community where nearly all the people I need to deal with know me and make allowances.
It's also useful in the workshop, I just turn the aid off! :p

That's true. We have 4 diabetic staff and 2 kids (one a Type I, quite serious) and we get no notice taken at all. It gets pretty annoying at times. People need to be educated about other people's needs, or basic requirements.

Andy - thanks for your further comments, seems our posts crossed at the same time! The work you are doing is excellent and this is the sort of thing I have been thinking about for a long time because it underpins the balance of the whole condition. My HBA1c has been around 7.3% over recent couple of years, but it has been around 9% during times of immense stress. I test myself with a one touch meter 4 times a day, and getting a result in 5 seconds is excellent (my old meter took about a minute which doesn't seem long, but when you are hanging around waiting for the number to appear, believe me it was frustrating!). For example, tonight I was waiting for my train to appear on the board at Waterloo station and I did a quick blood test in the middle of the station, 5 secs later I knew what I was. This is so convenient. If I had a wrist watch which could monitor me continuously then I would be even more informed. It's great to hear that this research is going on. I was on a plane recently on a Euro trip and there was a psychologist sitting next to me with papers about adolescent type 1 diabetics and how the psychological support should be better understood for them. In my day you were just expected to get on with it, but like I said before those years were probably my worst in terms of control and personal acceptance that I was even diabetic in the first place! Anyway thanks for the insight into your job, very interesting.

Smudger - my better half is a teacher so I understand your issues there! I also remember being one of those type 1's at school! I always took my own food into school (mid-morning crackers and afternoon crackers)! The other kids were so happy that I had to sit there munching, but that was the doctors orders in those days. I have had comas at school and it has been quite a learning curve for all those who went near me! I was once left on the central line going from west London (my school) to central London (a trip to the theatre), I was about 13 and they left me on the tube train! I ended up in Hainault (Essex) and luckily came back to consciousness! I had some food and eat it pretty quickly, it took me 1.5 hours to get home. My Mum was livid with the school (as you can imagine)!

I agree with Digit too, there are many other examples of "hidden diseases/conditions", and ignorance often leads to problems. This is why I am open about my condition, I try to educate the people I bump into, not to force it down their throats like, but at least make them aware. After all, if these things are manageable and you show people that it's not so bad then they are more accepting of it. In a coma as a teenager I have thrown a glass of water over a close friend, and gone completely off my rocker, and because he knew about it he could somehow accept it! Imagine what my friend would have done if he didnt know about it! :shock:

Anyhow, that's quite enough blabbering about this subject! Sorry to bore you all.

All the best
HM/Steve

Hi guys

yep me to, diagnosed last January type 2 diet and exercise, I to find I get quite tired and very hungry about four in the afternoon, been to all the pace meeting etc and now referred to the gym back in July but got a bad back in November had lost a lot of weight up-til then about 9 kg.

when I went for a yearly check up with my diabetic nurse and my blood pressure was a little high doc placed me on tablet for it against my will,
I had told them right from the start I wanted to be in total control of what was happening to me ( little notice did they take) , anyway from that point onwards started to put weight back on and went to about 15stone 7 Lbs bloated right out over the Christmas and well into the new yrs.

In early Feb just before I went to Holland to see my daughter started getting pains in the heal of one foot something really bad ,off to see the doc again more pills that didn't work at all so back to see him about three days before we went to Holland , he prescribed me more pills to take and said these will make the other work later , so i took them.

on the first night at my daughters i thought i was going to die it felt like my whole body had been scolded all over a bloody painful night needless to say the next morning after the pills were wearing off all tablet went down the drain including the blood pressure one as well that was some three weeks ago quite honestly i feel much better . Feet still a little sore but can go most days without pain killers

I now have a blood pressure monitor from lloyds chemist 9.99 which i check regularly . I have a ac-cu check blood glucose meter since I was diagnosed and keep a regular check ever day on different day at different time to keep a wider picture as to what going on in my blood levels which 90% of the time is below my levels of 7.8 only time its above usually is because Ive eaten something i shouldn't have so knowing my levels when i went to the docs with my feet he wrote in his note it may be related to his diabetics and prescribed drugs for what he thought it might be before he had taken blood sample to confirm it but in the mean while prescribed drugs for something it turned out not to be as the blood sampled shown it wasn't connected to my diabetic

Now he thinks it might be a torn tendons in the heal and sent me off to physiotherapy just guessing again .

My first years average reading from the ac-cu check graphs shows my levels at 6.3 which I'm really pleased with , the most difficult thing i find is not what i eat but judging the right amounts to eat, and the annoying thing about diabetes was not being able to lose weight without loads of exercise hence i think is where i got a bad back from at the gym just one ever increasing vicious circle. now I'm longer taking the pills or the blood pressure one either I'm just started to lose a little weight down nearly half a stone hovering just on 15 st i would love to be back to my ideal weight of 10 st 7 lbs or am i just dreaming

Latest posts

Back