Chessboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshD

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a long while. ive had long-standing back problems but things came to a head in the spring with an emergency procedure to keep me out of a wheelchair. Good news: as far as I can tell I'm completely unimpaired, although things won't have fully healed for a while yet. Bad news: surgeon has forbidden woodwork forever (along with skiing and sailing, ie, all my interests).

My son has already asked me for a handmade chessboard for his 21st, so we agreed that he would do the work with me instructing/guiding. I had some walnut and maple around, so that's what we used.. Photos pretty much self explanatory I think, but one thing that I should clarify is that I suggested we insert a couple of 3mm bronze rods longitudinally because I wasn't sure how the endgrain to endgrain joints would hold up long-term without reinforcement. I drilled the holes for them.
IMG_20230919_060323.jpg
IMG_20230919_060401.jpg
IMG_20230919_060757.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_065434.jpg
    IMG_20230916_065434.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230918_171507.jpg
    IMG_20230918_171507.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 0
I made one while at school, mine was similar - walnut and sycamore. Mine didn't need any reinforcement as it was on a backing board.
Phil, this may be a very basic question, but I couldn't quite see how to do a backing board arrangement whilst keeping it perfectly flat through seasonal humidity changes, assuming you use a single backing board of ply or MDF (and assuming you don't want a sandwich with a matching set of tiles on the other side of the backing)

I did think about backing with maple strips, but was overruled by the "client" who wanted to keep it clean and simple.....

I haven't posted in a long while. ive had long-standing back problems but things came to a head in the spring with an emergency procedure to keep me out of a wheelchair. Good news: as far as I can tell I'm completely unimpaired, although things won't have fully healed for a while yet. Bad news: surgeon has forbidden woodwork forever (along with skiing and sailing, ie, all my interests).
hope you are making a good recovery. nice teamwork on the chess board!

Latest posts

Back