Dewalt or Makita?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenbatt

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a thicknesser and have narrowed my choice down to the Makita 2012NB or the Dewalt DW734. I use a lot of hardwoods like Ipe, Cumaru and Bubinga and want to be sure that the machine I choice can handle these woods, any advice??

Thanks

I had the DeWalt one for a few years till I bought a PT. It's a great machine, very capable and accurate with a quick and easy blade setting arrangement and rubber rollers in and out for a superb finish and the facility for making very light cuts. It would chearfully chomp away full width cuts in Oak.

It's only real drawback, and the Makita's almost certain to be the same, is the noise. All these "portable" thicknessers have brushed motors and consequently are very loud in use. Ear defenders and understanding neighbours are the order of the day.

I have the Makita, and think it's great. But then again it's the only thicknesser i've ever had/used.

Like Mark says, the noise is a real PITA.

Cheers

Karl

I owned the DeWalt, but never fired it up. I sold it 6months down the line for a small profit. It's a sought after machine.

warrenbatt":2imbuumr said:
I am looking to purchase a thicknesser and have narrowed my choice down to the Makita 2012NB or the Dewalt DW734. I use a lot of hardwoods like Ipe, Cumaru and Bubinga and want to be sure that the machine I choice can handle these woods, any advice??

Thanks

either will handle the job as long as you take light passes , remember they are primarily portable site tools and definately lightly built , as far as I am aware there is the option for TCT with the makita , which may pay dividends unless you have the facility for sharpening blades of that size , oh and the noise ...I used the dewalt extensively with oak , lots of noise and vibration if its not bolted securely but acceptable results , have demo'd the makita and would have preferred it as an option but the same noise/vibration issues would apply .

If you don't need 310mm it may well be worth a look at a METABO HC260C , gives you surface planing as a bonus ,fairly cheap disposable blades , still a lightweight tool but with more versatility , again used one of these a fair bit with no real complaints ( for its class )

For wide hardwoods dont expect the same performance as you would from a shop based cast iron machine and certainly not the durability , that said I was happy with these tools when I used them ( cost considered ) but learn't that my needs exceeded what they had to offer

cheers

salvage

I can't comment on the Dewalt but I can tell you that I am very disappointed with my Makita, I used to have a Delta 22-560 which was fantastic until it broke, no snipe and a great finish and when it came to replacing it I read all the reviews and group tests I could find and decided to go with the Makita.

The most frustrating issues I have with this machine are:

1. I get snipe on the ends of the boards.

2. I clean the feed rollers and polish the tables before I do any planing and I can guarantee that after 20 minutes or so I will have to stop and clean them again as the wood (mainly Oak) starts to stick to the tables (this may be due to the tanin in the Oak but I never used to get it with the Delta)

3. The knives seem to chip very easily, I have never put any timber through that had a nail or staple in it but still they chip (a knot can chip them) leaving lines on the wood

4. I recently had a problem with lowering the head, it would wind up ok but to lower it I had to almost swing on the handle, phoned Makita and a few of their service agents to see if they had come across this before?
I ended up completely stripping the machine in in order to correct it.

NOT BAD FOR A MACHINE THAT IS LESS THAN 10 MONTHS OLD!!!!

ANYONE WANT TO BUY IT???

Sorry to be so negative (or truthful) but when you are parting with your hard earned cash it is best to know what other peoples experiences have been, perhaps I was spoilt with the Delta or maybe my Makita is the only duff one ever made.

Best of luck

Pete

Pete Robinson":3nr3os0y said:
perhaps I was spoilt with the Delta or maybe my Makita is the only duff one ever made.

Hi Pete - I was interested to read you comments on the Makita. Mine doesn't suffer from any of those problems. V. strange.

Cheers

Karl

Pete Robinson":3gpe1kst said:
Mine doesn't suffer from any of those problems. V. strange.

Now I feel loads better................thanks................want to swap?

That's a very kind offer, but I think the postage would be too expensive. Cheers anyway. :lol:

Karl

Latest posts

Back