Design thoughts needed...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
The next biggish sort of project in the 'shop will be a unit for the flat screen TV and all the associated boxes to fit under...have a look at the Blog to see the location.
The problem is that the floor is sloping down quite steeply at that point and I want to build a unit, if possible, with some refined way of leveling it so that the surface that the TV sits on is horizontal in both planes.
I don't want to see any levelling bolts or anything like that and have been pondering on the sort of system that could be used.
Anyone with any bright ideas please? - Rob

woodbloke":2ce5006s said:
...have a look at the Blog to see the location.
The problem is that the floor is sloping down quite steeply at that point and I want to build a unit, if possible, with some refined way of leveling it so that the surface that the TV sits on is horizontal in both planes.

Presumably you mean this http://woodbloker.blogspot.com/2009/09/ ... ssion.html

Which way does it slope?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi,
I,m considering the same project. I don't always like the floor mounted ones as they seem inelegant and make a large thing out of something which is now quite slender ( the TV not the wife).

After searching the internet I found some designs which were a framework attached to the wall. Frame was small, depth was 1/2" more than TV so wires could be run. Wires were concealed behind the unit. FRame was metal but could be wood. Infill panels were anything from laminate to rhinohide to diamond covered panels ( think Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds). Shelves were available to hang from the panels..anysize.

Problem was cost.

I'm trying to design something like them in wood but I like the idea of making the TV and boxes float in the air against the wall.

regards
Alan

Paul Chapman":1kloyizg said:
woodbloke":1kloyizg said:
...have a look at the Blog to see the location.

Presumably you mean this http://woodbloker.blogspot.com/2009/09/ ... ssion.html

Which way does it slope?

Paul
Paul - yep, that's the one. The floor slopes downwards from the skirting board. The unit I'm envisaging will hold the HDD, Sky Box, Hi Fi amp and CD player. On each side of the TV I'm going to build a pair of smallish bookcase speakers so the whole unit will pretty self contained and there'll be no cables to see :evil: - Rob

I would have thought the easiest way to lose the slope would be to build a plinth, inset a little from the front and sides. This would also help to ensure that the unit was not kicked as people walk past it. With careful selection of grain, I doubt that the slope would be obvious. Can't say that I've ever noticed that your floor sloped, so I imagine it's only slight.

Paul

Just wondering if you have to have it sitting on the floor. Why not have it floating ie: fitted to the wall.

Why not conceal the gubbins in the legs? If you design the interface between the top and the legs so that it looks like it floats on thin tenons protruding from the tops of the legs you can then make the legs themselves hollow box sections - with no structural support for the top.

You can then conceal an adjustable metal leg (or threaded rod) inside the box leg and have a tenon attached to the top? Each leg is independently adjustable and as long as your slope isn't vertiginous (and yours might be :wink: ) it shouldn't stand out.

Indeed if you wanted it to be a little more modern or striking in design then you could ditch the tenon for a geometric shape like a pyramid, which could even be made out of brass. If you were doing that you would want a locating point made out of metal for the point rather than just wood - in the top that is

How about a fully recling chair and a tv fitted flush to the ceiling.

Save floor space and very futuristic.

OK if you are old fashioned WB go old hat and fit it flush to the wall :)

devonwoody":2eksu33z said:
How about a fully recling chair and a tv fitted flush to the ceiling.

Save floor space and very futuristic.
Problem then DW is that it's difficult to have a beer if you're lying horizontal on your back :) and watching telly at the same time - Rob

Ironballs":1lj3evsw said:
Why not conceal the gubbins in the legs? If you design the interface between the top and the legs so that it looks like it floats on thin tenons protruding from the tops of the legs you can then make the legs themselves hollow box sections - with no structural support for the top.

You can then conceal an adjustable metal leg (or threaded rod) inside the box leg and have a tenon attached to the top? Each leg is independently adjustable and as long as your slope isn't vertiginous (and yours might be :wink: ) it shouldn't stand out.

Indeed if you wanted it to be a little more modern or striking in design then you could ditch the tenon for a geometric shape like a pyramid, which could even be made out of brass. If you were doing that you would want a locating point made out of metal for the point rather than just wood - in the top that is
Damian - this idea has got possibilities and has got me a pondering :-k If I put the legs at each corner (which is the logical place to put them :roll: ) the TV may cause the top to bow if it's placed in the middle...the top will be about 1.5m or so long. How would you see the top being attached to the 'tenons'...or not as the case may be? - Rob

I think you're talking about a "floating wall" as they are called over here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/

Loads of examples and almost all done with a 2x2 / 2x4 frame with MDF face.

wysi

ps Actually more of a reply to Alan than Rob although it is one solution. Could also do it as a fake chimney breast (depending on the room) so all the units are set into the "chimney"

Thinking on a bit more about this, I wonder if the surface leveling device could be made into a feature using wooden threads? I'm not sure it wouldn't look completely 'naff' though 8-[ - Rob

Is that slope the one you keep pushing people down?

The plinth that you scribe to the floor doesn't have to be at the front, in fact it can be near the back, so from the front it looks like the wall behind. This will support the weight and the top of the unit can be fixed to the wall to stop it falling forward.

Si

What size top are you thinking of using Rob? The Sagulator told me that my 11kg TV on the length I want would be fine on 22mm sycamore

Just thinking back as well, turned brass cones may look nicer than pyramids and better disguise different levels of protrusion from the leg

Ironballs":3c0njdt8 said:
What size top are you thinking of using Rob? The Sagulator told me that my 11kg TV on the length I want would be fine on 22mm sycamore

Just thinking back as well, turned brass cones may look nicer than pyramids and better disguise different levels of protrusion from the leg
Damian - the top will be some 18mm ply veneered with 2mm bandsawn oak each side so will end up at about 22mm anyway - Rob

Back