Deft T30 and a dado cutter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatthumb

Reaction score
Having spent a bit of time knocking up a sled for making box joints with my shiny new 8" Freud dado cutters I then realised that the cutters don't go on to the spindle of the saw. Only the first 4mm or so is at 30mm bore, the thread then drops down to about 15mm diameter. Any one out there with some experience of either these saws or using dados? I guess you need some sort of spacer like the kind of thing you might find on a spindle moulder for raising the cutting block, but that's 30mm exactly? I'm a bit mistified.

As I can see it here, the TS is a British design...
http://www.lyndhurstwoodworking.co.uk/t ... 91_578.htm

As a British (or EU) design the motor must stop within 10 seconds and that's the reason that Dado blades are prohibited on all the EU designed TS's and that's the reason that the arbor is short (4mm - like mine on the EB-PK255) so even if you want - you cannot...sorry...

By the way; the Spec. states that the motor is of "3HP or 2200Watts"...well, unless this motor has an efficiency of 100%, it will never give 3HP...That's an "American" way of advertisment (A router of 1800W gives 3.25HP and the Bosch GTS-10 (also 1800W) gives even 4HP)...

My EB PK255 has an input power of 2500W and output power of 1900W :) 746 = 2.54HP) and, as you can see the motor efficiency is 76%...

Regards
niki

erm, actually I suspect the DEFT can take a Dado. We have a couple of members who own the saw who will confirm this. If not a quick call to Lyndhurst will confirm.

Hi. Just to say I own a Deft T 30 and use a dado blade like Norm does it !
The deft is a FANTASTIC saw and great value for money. I did upgrade the mitre gauge to a Jessem MiteRslide and the results are spot on accuracy time after time. I owned a Record TS200 with a sliding table before that and have to say it was utter rubbish for anything except for ripping although not as much power as the Deft. I had it for about 2 months. It was incredibly inaccurate regarding the mitre gauge and carriage. Constant frustration and a lot of swearing. I binned it for the sheer satisfaction ! The Deft is a true WINNER by a mile !

As a p.s. I also own

Sedgewick PT Planer thicknessser 10/10

Rojeck FSN 300F Spindle Moulder. LOve it. Takes big Tooling. Lots of power. 16Amp

Trend T9 in a Trend pro router table. Excellent

Elektra Beckum 315 band saw. Great little workhorse.

Dewalt DW 718 Sliding mitre saw. Not as accurate as my previous Makita LS 1030 slider but doesw massive skirting mitre cuts.

Festool 1400 router. HL 850 planer. RO150E sander. AT 65E Circular saw and rails. All FAULTLESS accurate tools !

Milwaukkee 28v drill/driver and circular saw. Powerful and accurate. The saw is left handed blade which is very useful to use. Able to see what you're doing.

Festool C50 Precisio table saw with all the extras. V.lightweight and manageble and accurate. Love it for kitchen fitting etc.

Record WRM200 morticer. 5/10

I have been a carpenter / joiner for 28 years now and i'm not loyal to any specific brands. I have the festool cordless drill/driver and its awful and overpriced. The Maffell duo doweller is an excellent precision tool.

Must get a Domino !
Hope this helps any of you.

Nothing special. The spindle is wide enough to take any dado blade.
As a sideline. Althogh not nessessarily recommended, I took the riving knife off and can fit on a 12" blade for special occasions.

Sorry John McM. Irealise now what you mean. I bought some spacers on ebay with the dado blade for a couple of quid !

I find only the owner/seller from the Debt not a winner.
From the first day I got my Deft I have a damage at my saw, the same
day I send a email and after mounts I got a email that I must have patient.
There where some problems with the business and after he solved it he send
me a email, that's now more than a month ago.
Now I heard that there is a County Court Judgement on he's business
and so far I know is that not a good sign, correct me please when I'm wrong.
I find the owner from Deft a nice man, he's very friendly, but what he's is
doing now I find not friendly.

But the Deft is a great table saw.

Sorry, Schummie.

I'm basically decoding that as "Lyndhurst are having business troubles?" Is that right? What a shame because they were on to a winner with DEFT.

Sorry to hear that Schummie. I havent had a reason to have contacted them at all. Just athought though, that the Deft and the Laguna are the same saw and it might be an idea to contact Laguna. They may be able to help.
I had terrible trouble with my Record tablesaw and found that Record were no help and frustrating to deal with.

for info, the deft is made by harvey machinery in China and is the same saw as the grizzly 0690 so if it happens that lyndhurst is out of business, parts will still be available from grizzly.
Bye
Fred

Well, I received my harvey TS not long ago which is the same as the deft T30 and other TS: grizzly, steel city, laguna..

It came with a 5/8" arbor and some 5/8" to 30mm nuts so I can have CE blades too. It has a riving knife too and a different fence than the Deft. Fitting a dado blade works ok.

For those interested, there are some accessories available from Grizzly now: a sliding table and a router table.

023.jpg

I'd be interested to hear how the import process went. Was Harvey easy to deal with? I know you are on Reunion Island. But what was the pricing like?

Harvey were of great service.

They provided all the different original paper that i needed (certificate of conformity, Bill of lading, invoice and so on) that they send to me via TNT express shipping.

Jack Xu is the boss and usually answers the first questions and then Joey Liu is in charge for everything else.

They had some difficulty while tracking the shipment due to where I am living. The machine transited via Durban, RSA so it took a while but when it finally arrived, I had no difficulty with the custom.

I paid 1050€ for the machine and ocean freight. Then my local custom broker took me 300€ for custom clearing and bringing it at home.

For that price I had:
The machine itself (like the T30 "short bed" with the same fence as the grizzly but with a different blade dust protection)
An outfeed table
A tenonning jig
A mobile base
A blade (steel city branded)
A dado blade
A riving knife (which I think is not here on the Deft)

Not that it matters any more, but my Deft T30 was fitted with a Riving Knife.
It came with side table, out-feed table, sliding mitre and blade - all for about £800.

They are great saws, you will be pleased with it.

Rod

Harbo":2p0yiis6 said:
all for about £800.

They are great saws, you will be pleased with it.

and Fantaglub paid about £1200. So it definitely pays to buy locally from an importer. Such a shame Lyndhurst went under.

more than that you have a warranty when I have none (well, if Lyndhurst was still here) but i still feel lucky to have been able to have this saw.

Back