Decent spirit level recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
My 33 year old Stanley inexplicably has a slight bend in it at the centre near the vial.

It wasn't me! I'm going to have a go at straightening it out (it can be done!) but if I fail I need to replace it.

The Stanley has been checked every day it's been used, and again if it's put down hard (I have never knowingly dropped it, and I don't lend it out). Most new ones make me very nervous as they are, in the main, not adjustable. I don't trust this idea much - if they're wrong to start with you're stuffed, and, if they get knocked out of true, they're scrap.

Can anyone recommend an adjustable, two-foot (600mm) level?

I don't mind paying for quality, but so far all the expensive ones I've seen are not adjustable (which is, frankly, daft).

E.

PS: Just found this one - looks well made and *might* be adjustable. If anyone has it, I'd really appreciate experience of it, as it's not at all cheap!
136627_xl.jpg

[later] Also just found this too. Looks good but (a) uses batteries and (b) it's REALLY expensive!

Bought the Bosch digital level years ago and it's excellent - easy to calibrate and robust - though it also has a non-adjustable vial, which seems silly. Great piece of kit though - my 'one true level' to rule them all ;)

Pete

Thanks both.

By adjustable, I mean 'can set level correctly' rather than 'can set to (say) 28 degrees'.

I once had a big argument with a replacement window company: eleven-foot (tall) by eight foot wide window, fitted out-of-true. The fitter disagreed and blamed our prepped window opening. On-site escalation to his manager and checking it with a plumbline confirmed his level was way off: the silly person hadn't checked it (probably ever).

I know my Stanley drifts. I'm not sure why, but as I said, I check it every day it's used, and again if it's knocked hard.

I just found these guys: http://www.leveldevelopments.com/. Really good kit, especially the clinos. Their spirit levels are US imports, but look really good, if a bit pricey. I like the idea of a PP3 battery - usually more reliable than AAA, at the expense of battery life. The display auto-inverts, too.

Like the man said, Stabila every time for me, strong and reliable.
The lighter duty Stabila, as in the "box"constucted model, Possibly marketed by faithful, not solid alloy "girder" type, is adjustable one end.
Got one and it too is excellent.
Regards Rodders

I would go for a Stabila R section level, they are incredibly stiff and can stand almost any abuse with going out of plumb. The warranty is excellent.

I looked at the other Stabila levels and the Fat Max range, and came fairly quickly to the conclusion that the R beam provided the stiffest structure to provide the best accuracy. The R section levels have the same accuracy claims in all planes as the best of the Fat Max range.

I was looking through a catalogue (I forget whose - might have been ITS) and learned something I didn't know - many levels are not guaranteed true when reading upside down. I'd always assumed if they were true one way up, they'd be true the other, but it ain't necessarily so.

I have a 3 foot stabila like the one in the picture. I love it, although it is slightly out. I have a six foot box type stabila which is spot on.

I have 3 stabila levels, used for many years in my business as a builder and I wouldn't buy anything else. They are expensive so it depends on your usage whether good value.

It's bloody annoying that in the states they have a lifetime warranty but not in the UK

cheers
Bob

Lons":3mg3w231 said:
I have 3 stabila levels, used for many years in my business as a builder and I wouldn't buy anything else. They are expensive so it depends on your usage whether good value.

It's bloody annoying that in the states they have a lifetime warranty but not in the UK

cheers
Bob

You used to be able to send them back for a refurb some time ago, Is that changed now?
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1srjiqpz said:
Lons":1srjiqpz said:

cheers
Bob

You used to be able to send them back for a refurb some time ago, Is that changed now?
Regards Rodders

I remember that Rodders but I'm pretty sure it was expensive, I don't know if you can now - never needed to :D

I use Stabila levels too and they're excellent, if expensive to buy.

If I want to measure angles in degrees (rather than as "x - going - along and y - rising - up" like stairs or rafters, which often makes much more sense) from plumb/level I use one of the little electronic gadgets like this type of thing: http://www.axminster.co.uk/gemred-digital-bevel-box on a straight edge (like the spirit level!)

Cheers W2S

I would go for a stabila they are sweet levels i have two and they are well made. saying that i have a really long stanley and that is straight as an arrow.

hope you find what you want :)

Back