Miter saw Recommendation 12", Under £400

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAbu

Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone recommend a 12" Miter saw Under £400 that has a repeatable accuracy? Currently have an old evolution saw but no matter what I adjust it never levels out.

Thanks

Do you really need the 12 inch because with such a large saw you need something substantial to get the accuracy which pushes up the cost. But then the 12 inch does give a good cutting capacity in larger section timber but if only doing much lighter work then a 10 inch would be cheaper but only you know what you will be using it for. As to brands, Makita, Bosch and Dewalt all make good saws, be aware that many need room behind to accomodate the slides unless you go Bosch axial glide or Makita as examples which again come at a price.

Thanks, Roy. I have a garden project down the pipeline so would need the bigger saw for the sleepers. All the premium branded 305mm saws have recently shot up in price and is rare to see one below £650. Seen plenty of saws sub £400 but there isn't much discussion regarding the quality and precision of them.

you can pickup a good bosch glide 12 inch mitre saw on ebay or facebook market place now for sub £400
this saw eats sleepers for breakfast

need the bigger saw for the sleepers
I wouldn't be humping sleepers about to be able to cut them on a chop saw, all the ones I've ever cut I get them on some sturdy trestles and use either a circular saw to get a partial cut then hand saw to finish off, and in some cases just used a chainsaw, same as when I make Oak timber framing.

Big plus 1 to what HOJ says

I have a set of 4 sturdy trestles and use a 12" rafter square with a circular saw cut half way flip sleeper cut through and being on 4 trestles the cut bit doesn't fall anywhere.

If they are reclaimed I would invest in a reasonable quality metal detector it will pay for its self on blade savings

D

If you can stretch your budget slightly I may be tempted to part way with my Dewalt dws 780. It’s actually a really good saw but it’s just massive and i only have a small garage workshop so could do with something with a smaller footprint.

you can pickup a good bosch glide 12 inch mitre saw on ebay or facebook market place now for sub £400
Unlikely. They cost near a grand new and its closer to 700 for a 2nd hand.

Your budget is about a 200 quid off a new 12" saw. Only way you'll get a new 12" at that money is one of the cheaper makes.

Id suggest a 14" petrol chainsaw from Makita or Sthil or Husqvarna. Just as long as you arent a nut and take a serious attitude to safety.

Have you ever used any of these things before ? chainsaw, big mitre saw ? because they are dangerous as f***

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. @TRITON Never used a " Big miter saw", but do own several power tools including a Table saw, planer, thicknesser, along with a petrol trimmer with a pole chain saw.

Thanks for the advice everyone. @TRITON Never used a " Big miter saw", but do own several power tools including a Table saw, planer, thicknesser, along with a petrol trimmer with a pole chain saw.

So from that I can take it as read in the case of a mitre saw,that you know about sleeves being up above the elbow, and not to bring your hand anywhere near they blade while the saw is still spinning, or not in the rest position with the guard fully closed.

We just have to check these things as people join not knowing the bum from their elbow, and places like b&q sell potentially dangerous machinery at such low prices, people equate them as being something as normal as a power drill.
Most of the finger/hand/arm amputations I've heard about, involved a new to the tool user who hasn't a clue about the aspects of using such machine, and a cheap as chips b&q special.

As you can imagine, when one of these things go wrong through inexperienced user error, it goes very wrong very quick.

There is a reason many powertool instruction booklets include "Do Not Use Underwater" in them ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, Everyone. Managed to pick up a Makita LS1216L on FB marketplace. Surprisingly was still in new condition. Bargain at £350.

Back