Decent quality electrical crimp connectors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get decent quality assorted crimp connectors for a reasonable price? I've been hunting for fork connectors of various sizes and the more I read of the cheap sets on Amazon, the more I doubt the quality. But then I look at the better suppliers and they sell each type individually and I can't justify buying in the quantities to make up an assortment.

Thanks for any advice.

ps Is it acceptable practice to cut a section from round connectors to make fork connectors?

Last edited:
there are few makes that supply the pliers changeable different jaws.......
I do a lot of cable work and got fed up with messing around........
must have just about every automotive crimper going......
but only used for certain jobs, most of my connections are soldered....oh and dont bother with Lead free solder, it's junk......
only ever bought mid range crimpers from ebay..all work well.......
BUT note, the jaws may look the same but can be slightly different....
plus not all terms have the same size plastic shroud that can mess up the look.......

yes u can just cut an eye term to make a fork one but it looks unproffesional....

ps Is it acceptable practice to cut a section from round connectors to make fork connectors?
Any reason why you want forked connectors ? With eyelets the screw makes contact for 360° and no risk of a wire becoming detached due to a lose screw.

For quality look at Duraseal connectors, they do a forked connector but this range is not cheap and the crimp tool is expensive but they are high quality and can be used in safety systems.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/splice-connectors/0533673
If you give us a clue as to the intended use there there may be other suggestions but the average Red, Blue and Yellow automotive crimps are what they are.

Klauke and Cembre make the good stuff.
Like you I struggle to find decent fittings these days and nothing anywhere close to the premium fittings and tools I've occasionally come across from these market leaders.

Fork terminals are very useful on motors etc as they should make a good contact but don't require the screw to be removed to release a ring terminal. In practice I use rings because forks are inevitably so pathetic.
I would cut down a ring before I would use most fork terminals.

The other option is to use a bootlace ferrule. Incredibly useful things !

Thanks all. It's for power in and out for a cheap single to three phase inverter - access to the terminals is really limited.
Auto Electrical supplies looks to have the size I need, I may put a set together using them. It'd be nice to see one first tho. And I'll take a look at Klauke and Cembre now. It's very hard to tell from the pictures, so I guess we have to go by reputation.

It is difficult to see how the connectors themselves can vary too much in quality. I think many of the reported problems you see are due to people using cheap and nasty 'universal' crimpers on the terminals.

The tool you use for stripping the insulation off the wire, as well as the length of bare wire protruding, also influences the quality of the finished product.

Vehicle Wiring Products have been around for ever and they do not sell rubbish.

One I forgot previously is Hitek Asia; the mention of bootlace ferrules above reminded me:

https://hitekasia.co.uk/

yes u can just cut an eye term to make a fork one but it looks unproffesional....
If it's for the mains input or motor output then that's what I done, well kinda,
as the blue connectors were too wide.
Left a wee bit on the ends as I wished to close it up again for the captured ferrule,
and needed a bit of a lick with a needle file to enlarge it for the screw to pass through.
I've read before that those threads can be delicate.
Not much point in showing a piccy demonstrating NOT what to do then,
i.e stacking earths is not the way it's done, just showing the wee terminals.

DSCN1982.JPG

I had a similar query, looking for a mixed set of decent connectors. The two I had previously bought from Amazon were junk.

"SWA" make good ones, and they are easy to find (including on Amazon if you look carefully): Selekt-A-Box Pre-Ins - SWA 2020

Not sure if they have the type of connector that you’re looking for, but for this type of stuff I can thoroughly recommend an EBay seller ‘Autowiring’.
This is a third generation (local to me) ‘bricks & mortar’ business supplying the auto electric industry with quality materials and components. Highly regarded for all the right reasons.

Thanks all. It's for power in and out for a cheap single to three phase inverter - access to the terminals is really limited.

Those type of terminals usually consist of a screw and a square washer so just loosening and inserting a forked type terminal might seem the easy option especially if you have chubby fingers. The terminal must go both sides of the screw so that it pulls down square, using a pin type connector on one side will cause the washer to pull at an angle. For these jobs you can get a driver that will hold the screw

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/scre...VzevtCh0i1wZyEAQYAiABEgLKhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I prefer to remove the screw and use a loop terminal with a magnetic driver, it gets easier with practice.

The quality of electrical crimps and the crimp tool really does vary, the coloured sleeve can split and as mentioned the quality of the crimp tool, avoid those flat tin types and the better ones are those that are full cycle ratchet crimpers.

I use Duraseal from Raychem, railway signals use AMP that are black and heavier duty

AMP 16-14 AWG Black M6 PIDG Ring Terminals - 54/119568

with this crimp tool

https://www.cablecraft.co.uk/amp-rail-crimp-tool-pads-no-39-008127
The crimp tool I use with the Duraseal connectors are good although not cheap but can be used in electrical work involving high integrity safety systems.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/8646900
So just like our woodworking tools you get what you pay for and when you use a skilled tradesperson they also have the tools.

Is it possible to get decent quality assorted crimp connectors for a reasonable price? I've been hunting for fork connectors of various sizes and the more I read of the cheap sets on Amazon, the more I doubt the quality. But then I look at the better suppliers and they sell each type individually and I can't justify buying in the quantities to make up an assortment.

Thanks for any advice.

Denmans electrical done a nice boxed set, just like this =

Draper 56383 CT-K/PRO Expert Ratchet Crimping Tool and Terminal Kit
£60 I gave for mine, metal box, replenishing crimps from any electrical wholesaler, not market / pound stalls etc !

I don't know if Dorman is sold in the UK, but they're pretty decent; in auto parts stores. If not that brand, a decent auto parts store likely can help.

My younger son, when he wants a good connection, gets uninsulated crimp connectors and then solders the wire in.

Bootlace ferrules and Wago connectors are way to go and all you probably will ever need for most purposes! Love the Wago 221s, good stress reliever clicking em bit like used to click a biro years ago!

Thanks all. It's surprisingly hard trying to find half decent ones, either due to lack of info on sites (and the photos all look pretty much the same) or because when I do find the info, it's hard to find a retailer. I like the look of the Klauke ones but the three retailer suppliers they link to from their site don't seem to hold a range of fits or don't seem to have insulated ones, and elsewhere they don't give prices so I guess you need an account. It's not like I'm contemplating a career in electrics, I just want a half decent set of connectors so on the odd occasion I need them, they're there. There's a really helpful CEF nearby, I think I might have a look in the shop what theirs are like - not cheap according to the website, but maybe the solution.

Those type of terminals usually consist of a screw and a square washer so just loosening and inserting a forked type terminal might seem the easy option especially if you have chubby fingers.
That's the ones - I'm not sure what size the screws are and daren't take one out again - I did it accidentally on the earth connection as I was trying to fit two wires there and the screw came out and fell off the magnetic screwdriver, I don't know if it could have got lost in there but fortunately it didn't, quite a faff to get it to thread back in.

avoid those flat tin types and the better ones are those that are full cycle ratchet crimpers.
That's the ones we have, came in a starter set from Halfords! OK, I'll hunt for a better, ratchet one. But not the type you have (£££) :)

These Cablecraft
https://www.cablecraft.co.uk/blue-3-7mm-pre-insulated-fork-terminalsconnectors don't look anything special but at least we can specify sizes on the site, they're probably better than the pack of hundreds we bought from Amazon for a few quid. Totally confused to be honest!

Last edited:
Have a look at RS Components, I used their crimp connectors at work for years, never found a need to buy from anywhere else. The only drawback is the smallest pack size is 100 so if you only need a few it can work out expensive.😊

Thanks for any advice.

CPC (Farnell) have huge stocks of all you need.

Latest posts

Back