Deans New Tool UPDATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 019#294019

Original thread link above.

Sorry for being AWOL for so long but my venture has taken longer than I had planned on and been a lot harder to get to this stage than I ever imagined it would be.

I managed to raise the budget to build a small number of tools complete with the cutters, I can't go into any further details about the tool or the cutters at the moment I'm sure you'll understand why. 8)

I began working on the tool when I wanted something simple and quick I could use to add a little interest to my turnings without having to spend time setting something up or ages marking out, I wanted something that I could just pick up and use then keep it in the rack with the other tools instead of boxed up in a draw and never used.
I fumbled along for a few weeks trying pretty much every thing I could think of before giving it up as a lost cause. :cry:
After a few weeks I decided to try again, I made some small changes to the tool and bingo :D , there was a slight hint of a pattern, I must admit that it was also part by chance that I got the first decent results that pointed me in the right direction.
When I started to get some really good results I rushed to put the pictures on here before thinking about it first hence the back peddling replies I gave in that thread so I’m sorry to all those members who shown interest. :oops:

I’m still finding new applications for the tool every day and I’m sure to have missed a lot, all the work in the pictures was done using an old Viceroy lathe at 425rpm and 735rpm

I've now registered the company, SCATT Woodturning Tools LTD
Why SCATT?……. SPIRAL, CHATTER AND TEXTURE TOOL

and there’s also www.scatt.co.uk it’s not online yet but [email protected] is

I’m not trading at the moment but I will be when everything is set up correctly which will be quite soon.

Here are a few pictures of the results that show how the improvements that have been made have also expanded the tools applications.

There’s more pictures here, there's also a few pictures of the results from another tool I'm working on at moment. http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/dattwood/

This is what the tool could do ………….
firstresults.jpg

………and these pictures show a few examples of what the tool can do now

newcutter01.jpg

fc01.jpg

This is an 8 inch cherry bowl blank with tool work applied to the rim, it’s been left as it is without any sanding or brushing

cherrybowlblank.jpg

Some pieces I’ve used the tool on

c2-425.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you like the results

Dean

Looks like you are getting the consistency of pattern down pretty good now Dean, fully understand the withholding details of the tool design from the global web, not unknown for someone with more free cash to hand to grab the idea from under you.

Third Photo down, the piece to the furthest right in the shot.... Gorgeous !

Dean, all the best to you and your endeavours - here's hoping it pays off for you, and everything comes to fruition.
From an 'application of the tool' standpoint - it certainly would appear that you've got it spot-on.

Good luck and look forward to hearing how this develops !

8) 8) 8) :)

Thanks Chas, I've taken some good advice regarding the details plus other steps.

Jenx, thanks I also like that one, it's cherry with a few coats of really dark polish applied, it was grubby from handling so seemed quicker to try the dark polish than to clean the grime off.

That looks to be an impressive tool you have their Dean (said the actress to the bishop) :lol: :lol:
Hope all turns out well in your venture.
You know who your best mate is don't you

Paul.J":22p6vvib said:
That looks to be an impressive tool you have their Dean (said the actress to the bishop) :lol: :lol:
Hope all turns out well in your venture.
You know who your best mate is don't you

:lol: nice try paul

Nice tool there Dean `ooer Missus` :lol:
Seriously though think you might have a few interested buyers as and when you start selling them any idea when?
Cheers
Steve

Paul, I'll keep it mind, how big is the largest piece of beech you have 8)

cornucopia, I will keep everyone updated with info and also the progress in this thread as often and as soon as I can.

Steve, I'll start trading asap without rushing or cutting corners, the website should be ready soon and I'll put the date in this thread a couple of days before hand.

There's lots I want to write about the tool and I will do as often as time permits.

Hi Dean,
good luck with your venture, results look impressive. Don't know how much research you have done but the name of your company will raise a few eyebrows, certainly did me.
Cheers John

tulsk":iomeitpz said:
Hi Dean,
good luck with your venture, results look impressive. Don't know how much research you have done but the name of your company will raise a few eyebrows, certainly did me.
Cheers John

Good point John. I learned the current meaning of this word the other day and it doesn't reflect what the tool does at all :lol:

I'd certainly be interested in one of these when you are up and running. Looking forward to hearing more.
Andy

tulsk":2naoofo3 said:
Hi Dean,
Cheers John

In my defense John it was not me who came up with it, I just do the nodding and agree for a quiet life :roll:

Back