dead scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samfire

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, can any of you experienced scroll sawers help a man in a fix. I have an Excalibur16 which I have had for 4 years with no problems. However, today I cut a couple of pieces of wood but when I went to do another the saw was dead.
It has power and the fuse is ok. I have removed the blade and given the top and bottom linkages a squirt of wd 40 but still no joy.
Anybody got any thoughts of what I can check next.

The only other clue I can give that there was an almost inaudable clunk when used it first this morning and just put it down to it not liking the cold in the workshop. My old bones are complaining too.
Thanks

any buzzing when you switch it on?
service time after 4 years, pop the motor off and clean the brushes, add some grease to the bearing and clean the comutator.

if it's overloaded because of a sticky motor it will have popped the fuse in the plug most likely too.

Hi thanks for the quick reply. There is no buz when switched on but will do the other things you have suggested.
Thanks sam

If there was a "clunk" then youre looking at the mechanism, not the fuse.

Check there isnt a small piece of wood jammed into the arm or linkage.

if it's overloaded (even if it's for a blockage with a piece of wood) it will have popped something, if not the fuse than the inline glass fusee on the machine. if it was just a blockage I'd expect there to be a buzz as the motor fails to turn over.

Hi thanks for the suggestions. So far I have removed the plate on the opposite side of the motor and I am able to turn the mechanism by moving the blade end linkage up and down. Nothing seems to be jammed, and no bits of wood stuck in the linkages, above or below. I was just about to take the motor off and noticed there is a Little glass fuse that came with the saw, I am obviously not very observant.
Anyway, I was just about to dig deeper when swmbo declared that I needed to take her shopping for more xmas deccys. My plan is to check the motor and Bushes and then see if I can find the glass fuse and see if it needs replacing.

fuse is underneath the plug on the machine. :)
a clunk is still a worry though so a service won't go a miss, a little grease on the pivots and a good clean is always welcome by a machine. :)

Good news, I cleaned it, greased it and replaced the blown fuse and it is now running like a dream. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Sam

excellent news, keep an eye on it for the next few weeks, any suspicious noises then investigate. :)

Samfire":1c4ljw9f said:
Good news, I cleaned it, greased it and replaced the blown fuse and it is now running like a dream. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Sam

Damn, these scroll saw are complicated! :D

BugBear

Latest posts

Back