Danckaerts CM 19 Chain and Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathandavies

Established Member
Reaction score
For some reason the other day I went on a website that I rarely go on nowadays, searching for the usual stuff, you know Wadkin, Bandsaw, Router etc etc, Morticer.... Dear God what is this?

This has to be mine, my life will not be complete until that thing is sitting like an angry stout tank making holes furiously in lumps of wood whilst I stand there agog at it's brutalist stylings and menacing stature.

Enter the Danckaert CM 19 Chain and chisel morticer. After a flurry of emails with the seller a price including delivery was reached and the date was set. Today was that date. it turned up this morning on the back of a ford transit pickup. As it was lifted off you could here the pickup breathing a sigh of relief. This thing is really heavy.

Moved into a temporary spot in the workshop whilst I decide if I might need more than 4 metres either side of it. I've just freed up some bits and got a plug onto it just to get it going. It works, which is always a relief when buying from a distance.

I'll do a video of it at some point, but in the mean time has anybody ever seen one of these before? because I haven't and the guy who I bought it from hasn't and he's been dealing in machines for 30 odd years.

Has anybody got any literature relating to it or Danckaert of this period? I think it may be around the 1950 mark judging by the styling and the fact there seems to be 1950 cast into it all over the place. (but you never know if that has anything to do with the date or something else completely)

It also had 4 chains 3 bars and some rough mortice chisels thrown in.

I think this may be a love it or hate it design.

IMAG0370-001.jpg

IMAG0368-001.jpg

IMAG0366-001.jpg

IMAG0365-001.jpg

IMAG0363-001.jpg

Nathan

Attachments

• IMAG0363-001.jpg
    IMAG0363-001.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0365-001.jpg
    IMAG0365-001.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0366-001.jpg
    IMAG0366-001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0368-001.jpg
    IMAG0368-001.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0370-001.jpg
    IMAG0370-001.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 168
That looks a little flimsy, you will definitely need to bolt it down to stop you knocking it over too easy. If I had the room I would offer to take it off your hands as it's clearly not up to any serious work.

Envy is such a dreadful sin.

Looks a good bit of kit. I have a Danckaerts Tablesaw with 2 metre sliding bed. Thats pretty chunky as well. Ive never been able to track down an old catalogue online or real. If you manage to get a scanned copy of catalogue I would be interested in seeing a bit of it. I think originally the factory was in Belgium but also London as well.
Danny

You could even cut up logs with that one. Not really a garage fit though by the look of it.

nathandavies":2suazqnp said:
RobinBHM":2suazqnp said:
What makes the mortice heads feed into the timber?

If I understand correctly, I believe the answer would be your arm.

Ive now enlarged the images and I can see the 2 handles on the right hand side. At a glance they looked like metal conduit, due to the funny shape. Thinking about it, I guess the handles are that shape so they can be pulled down far enough for a full depth cut without clouting a long component.

Danckaert are top end machines, Ive got a 2 head Danckaert sander, weight approx 5 tons!

RobinBHM":14qy5hdw said:
nathandavies":14qy5hdw said:
RobinBHM":14qy5hdw said:
What makes the mortice heads feed into the timber?

If I understand correctly, I believe the answer would be your arm.

Ive now enlarged the images and I can see the 2 handles on the right hand side. At a glance they looked like metal conduit, due to the funny shape. Thinking about it, I guess the handles are that shape so they can be pulled down far enough for a full depth cut without clouting a long component.

Danckaert are top end machines, Ive got a 2 head Danckaert sander, weight approx 5 tons!

Holy poop 5 tons?

that is a brute, reminds me of the vickers creasing machine I have here at the factory. Vickers used to build machine guns etc during the war and you can certainly see the war like engineering in my creaser. It weighs a ridiculous amount and shakes the ground when you use it. I do love a proper industrial machine :twisted:

Back