Stenner BL mortiser chain chisel help Pic Heavy Update Nov 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool613

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi boys its jack from Canada looking for your expertise. got a few question on some English kits.

How many mortiser can you fit in your trailer and not be over loaded? in my case 2.

I picked these up a few days ago.Got the wadkin MF (lots of information on that one at Wadkin), the grand daddy king of all mortisers. The Stenner BL that i also picked up has heads that swap out from chain to chisel so it a combo machine too. I have never to date not found a machines i could not find any information on(Stenner that is ) before this .
can you boys help with this maker(Stenner) . I know they make pit re saws, but what other machines?
I can not even find a pic of the stenner BL motiser. Are there any owners? I need a manual or anything. Waiting with bated breath.

007-21.jpg

015-7.jpg

013-11.jpg

012-11.jpg

010-14.jpg

009-15.jpg

008-19.jpg

011-12.jpg

sorry that i do not have many of the STENNER .

jack

Hi Jack,
Nice haul of Wadkin and Stenner. I saw your post on OWWM.

First off you will find that Stenner is still in business. They are mostly known for large bandsaws usually found in timber yards or sawmills...and I mean large. Much less well known for morticers or other stuff.

You could contact Stenner at:-
http://www.stenner.co.uk/home/

There used to be a well recognised expert on old machines here under the name of SCRIT. Not seen him around for a while but he had an amazing collection of old catalogues and brochures. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a member of OWWM. Maybe search for "Scrit" as a member there and try a PM or email.

good luck
Alan
PS I'm UK based so if there is anyway to help from this end then please ask.

Hi Jack...again,
Just noticed that Stenner have a US distributor....its a long shot.
DISTRIBUTORS IN NORTH AMERICA

HMC

Peter Taylor/Kevin Reeves

284 Maple Street
Hopkinton
NH 03229
USA

Tel: 001 603 746 4691
Fax: 001 603 746 4819
Email: [email protected]

If you can get me more details about your morticer eg model number, S/N, etc then I can do a search here in the UK.
regards
Alan

The Stenners I picked up last month is an interesting machine. Stenner is a big industrial saw mill manufacturer from 1875 England that is still in business. They are best know for there re saws. I still have not found any information at all. did the rebuild with out a manual or a pic or anything.
This Stenner chain a Chisel mortiser is 4HP and 600 volts

unloading
SrennerBL020.jpg

in the shop ready to play with. wired it up to 600 volts
SrennerBL040.jpg

I cut a mortise with the chains and all i can tell you is Oh boy. have a look on YouTube. if you watch the video you will see that as soon as i pull down on the handle the machines start automatically , and when I lift it up to the top it shuts down again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiq3wfS9Ulw

Jackafide
stenner3003.jpg

stenner3004.jpg

the head move in and out on dovetail ways and the table is fixed.the chain turns a thread in the head/motor
stennerfinish007.jpg

stennerfinish006.jpg

there are plenty of bronzes castings that i just cleaned up and left unpainted like the vacuum fan/blower
stenner005.jpg

Other parts where cast aluminium and i took the importunity be polish the letters this time instead of paint.
stenner003.jpg

stenner2007.jpg

The Stenner name tag was arn and so I painted it to match
stenner2008.jpg

the electrics are all solid cast brass that got cleaned up.
stenner002.jpg

stennerfinish004.jpg

built in chain sharpener
stennerfinish008.jpg

and the cutting stone at the back of the motor
stenner2003.jpg

it has a great depth stop for quick set
stenner004.jpg

you can see the bronzes stops for adjusting the mortise lengths
stennerfinish005.jpg

hand stitched leather to the handle to protect the paint from chipping and to give a soft sound when dropping the crank leaver . i also added leather to the pull down handle for comfort.
stennerfinish003.jpg

stennerfinish002.jpg

wooden tables with a two position adjustable stop.
stenner3005.jpg

stenner3006.jpg

stenner3007.jpg

stenner3008.jpg

the entire unit side out of the way when not in use.
stenner3009.jpg

you have to have the right plug for 600 volts
stenner3011.jpg

rebuilt the chisel head
stenner3013.jpg

cleaned all the chain tooling
stenner3012.jpg

Hope that was not too many pics? thanks for looking boys.

jack

Ye gods and little fishes lad! That is the sort of refurb that makes us Canucks look good. I have seldom seen a neater job of restoration , nor a more drool worthy bit of kit. congrats mi amigo. As Ottawa is a mere hop and skip from Lake Huron , you tempt me mightily to take a drive out to see it in corpus. Could not be more than 6 or 7 hours from here. Well done!

Thanks for the comments boys :D .

As I have said before this is a chisel mortiser as well. I had rebuilt the head and had to make bushing to fit my tooling. I like the flat botom sets that are not as pointed as the new styles are so it takes a bit more effort to drive a 1" chesel but they tend not to burn. I find the english kits augers are a lot tighter interface to the chisel and run better than the cheep sets from you know where. It takes about 1 minute to change over from chain to chisel.

stennerchisel002.jpg

stennerchisel004.jpg

Made a video of it punching a 1" chisel at the link below. My RPC took more time than normal to start as i just turned it off minutes before the video and the start caps are getting old. you can see the lights dim a little :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

jack

Good grief! Not only is that an amazingly thorough and detailed restoration to better than original condition, you deserve some sort of award for being the first woodworker to have ENOUGH CLAMPS!

stennerfinish002.jpg

Maybe an award for being an accomplished metalworker as well as woodworker and a master restorer of old English cast iron as well...

Nice work on this restoration to former glory as well!
Keep up the good work!

Worked the Wadkin chain/chisel morticer at College and Joinery company I worked for, only ever used the chain mortiser on Sashed and Cased windows (mortice for pulley wheels) we made a lot of windows only worth setting up a quick raker and you needed to flaff about with a chipbreaker. It had the auto cut off fitted to the handles by a releasing and closing a pressure switch on handle base. It was also fully adjustable to accomadate deeper timber so you could get the full depth right for plunging. The one I used then and the college came with lights that were adjustable. They also came with grinders at the rear for sharpening the hollow chisels. I came across other Wadkin but they added Bursgreen to there name and were mostly hollow chisels.

I did not know Stenner made Morticers, I have a Stenner Eagle Resaw in my workshop (second machine I have purchased for two different workshops), good robust kit only drawbacks I see is the enclosed motor (overheating and setting fire to dust trapped there, had this happen not good access to clean out easily) and the system feeding the lubrication to wheel pads can air lock (did this on both machines). The Wakin PBR can be a quieter in operation (had one before my first Eagle) as to having rubber wheels and can angle the fence (handy), the Stenner can be a bit loud due to no noise dampening (plain steel wheels). The Wadkin drawback is the wheels rubber wearing and needing retreading (every two years in my case) and cuts slower than a Stenner Eagle.

Now if I had the need and monies the Waco would be the resaw of choice I been lucky to try a lot of different Resaw makes over 34 years in the trade. but I get of topic.

Allylearm

Now THATS what you call a machine ! Total class ,solid reliable . You're one very lucky woodworker . Having the chain next to the chisel is a boom ,having a chain morticer is a boom in itself but have the a combo ...even bigger bigger boom . Very nice project . Congratulations .

I did not know Stenner made Morticers[/quote said:
At first i thought it may be a different Stenner company, but the tag is clear. Stenner made and supplied whole sawmills and I was wondering if this was a custom built machines for a purpose built mill. The stenner BL that i got came from a mill that built the lock gates for the canals in and around me here in Ont Canada. It is my understanding that Stenner will build to suit. Can any one verifie this? The casting marks/numbers suggests that the machines was made in 1959.

any thoughts?

jack

Just an update on the stenner. She is in place and i have to make a tool box for the the tooling but i think i have it done.

The fence that came with the Stener is a great fence ,but it does not tilt and I had some rat hole parts that i thought would work to make hold downs and a table. So the cost of the fixtures was in total about $30.

IMG_0245-1.jpg

here is a part of something i am not sure but its got a built in stop and I just need to make bolts to hold it to the Stenner.
Could be a fence off a boring machine?
IMG_0242-1.jpg

The hold downs are off an SCMI shaper(spindle moulder) and did not need much modification to get them to work. Bushing were made and brass clamp plates with rose wood made to replace a press steel ones they had. I do not have any before pics of those parts.

The Stenner table bolts on the vertical sliding table that has ways that square head bolts 5/8" will slide into. This is what I use to anchor all my fixtures in place. The first hold down I made was to hold may wood at any postion.
stennertipfence003.jpg

It's just a peace of Ash and the stand off was turned on the lathe. The black hold down with the rosewood/brass clamping plate was the parts of the old shaper (SCMI). It can be placed any where on the ways of the Stenner table.

The Stenner had a spot for a bar that made a great spot for a hold down when i am doing large flat plates and will hold the wood down on the table for case work pieces. So if I want to put square pegs in the end on a flat board I can hold them down.
stennertipfence005.jpg

To make the tilting table I wanted a pivet point to rotate the table by,and a gauge to tell me the angle the table was at. I came up with a protractor that will support the table when adjusting the angles and give me pivots every 2" in height to maintain my Z axis. The bolts on the table take all the stress when mortising so this did not need to be super strong.
stennertipfence007.jpg

only one hold was drill and taped into the stenner
stennertipfence008.jpg

Here is the table with bolts that I just drop on top of the tilt gauge and bolt to the angle I want up to 45 degs.
stennertipfence006.jpg

stennertipfence009.jpg

the hold will slide along the T slot and rotate to any position
stennertipfence010.jpg

the built in stop and material support.

stennertipfence011.jpg

stennertipfence013.jpg

stennertipfence001.jpg

I really like to make the jigs that make my work easier . when I do Ii like to make them nice to use and so the pleasure of woodworking is that mush better. It also reminds me that not all tools can be order over the phone or on the web, some times you just have to make them on your own. BTW I do not have any metal working machines and am just a wood worker. there is nothing here that any of you could not do/make.

jack

tool613":2opfiol8 said:
Thanks for the comments boys :D .

As I have said before this is a chisel mortiser as well. I had rebuilt the head and had to make bushing to fit my tooling. I like the flat botom sets that are not as pointed as the new styles are so it takes a bit more effort to drive a 1" chesel but they tend not to burn. I find the english kits augers are a lot tighter interface to the chisel and run better than the cheep sets from you know where. It takes about 1 minute to change over from chain to chisel.

stennerchisel002.jpg

Made a video of it punching a 1" chisel at the link below. My RPC took more time than normal to start as i just turned it off minutes before the video and the start caps are getting old. you can see the lights dim a little :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

jack

I just lurrve those helical cut pinions! Quality always shows. =D>

Tony
the helical cut pinions are nice. Do you think Stenner used them because they are dry most of there life. and would be less noisy.

when is this type pinions use in machinery as apposed to straight cut?

jack

Nice, Jack. I missed the video first time around. Looks like using that 1" chisel is real work, even with the power assist. Does the head have an integral fan? I noticed your chips are just sitting there.

Kirk

I did see this first time around but have just looked again. Absolutely stunning work.

This must have been seriously expensive when in 1959 (a good year by the way) :D it was first bought.

Mick

Latest posts

Back