Wadkin tooling help. looking for the old scary stuff.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool613

Established Member
Reaction score
many makers made the Radial arm saws but only a few made some really nice ones. In my country(canada) and south Uni point(Northfield) is said to be the one saw to have mostly because its center privet(really just a massive SCMS). I personal like the Stenner for that kind of saw with its under table dust pickup but there both kool saws. there hard to find up here in Canada too.

There's just not that many types of cross cut saws are there? (i am not counting the compound miters saws) There's the old swing saws and the american Mattison saw with its odd accordion arm, the Oliver is odd too. The turret saws(delta) , the arm saws(dewalt) and the ubiquitous Sears sucker . There are a few others like the rare Porter pedal saw but they all do the same thing for the most part and all come up with a way to carry the saw through a cut. Makers all made there mark and style in many grades and classes when the RAS was king but only a few made truly great ones. I tend to like the heaver ones and Wadkin made a fine sample of its patent cross cut C famley saws that was designed in the 20s (one of wadkin's first motor driven saws 1922)with a motor not yet tried in England made by BTH to improve the depth of cut when a saw blade used the motor rotor as the spindle arbor . That motor would later become the Wadkin PK motor.

If ones wants a RAS one can have one for about $150 that is in good nick because they are viewed as useless in the shop by today's standards. I guess that the real value is in working or braking down timber(still something i do). for me though I collect an era of machine to do the work I do not that I need that era or maker to do the work its just what i do to keep myself entertained.

here is a catalog cut from 1922 of a wadkin AC(first generation cross cut saw), My guess is the AC stands for AC power as Wadkin used a 3rd letter in its early models with motors while still making its line machines(eg PKA,RAA, EPA)to indicate drive type and A was used for AC power.

there was even a portable model made though one need rail for it

Picked up today 2 Wadkin CC2 cross cuts saws for a dime and i got the blades for $400. One saw has a full 16" stacked dado with it. The deal also included a second freshly sharpened 16" dado set, one freshly sharpened 14" dado set, one sharpened 14" set that's missing most of the chippers, one 16" crosscut blade and two 18" crosscut blades.... A real good chunk of $$$ in blades there but who pays retail for tooling :mrgreen:

Now the saw blades are a great deal and can be used on My Wadkin PK as well. this worked out as good tooling for the timber framer who used them but i am looking for Wadkin Tooling. Thought there might be some one With it in a drawer or now were some is. It.s the trenching heads i am looking for and there's no way to find them here in Canada. This is were I need your help.

tooling I got

Tooling i am looking for.

thanks for any help

jack
English machines

Hi Jack,
Good to see you here. Good find with the two RAS.
You're right with your description. That trencher is scary for sure. Good luck with your search.

Danny

Bigdanny":2yhm1asu said:
Hi Jack,
Good to see you here. Good find with the two RAS.
You're right with your description. That trencher is scary for sure. Good luck with your search.

Danny

put the word out Danny and thank you for the welcome.

jack
English machines

I'm not in collecting distance but if the seller balks at sending them to you he can send them to me in the UK and I'll relay them on at my cost only. PM if you need help. Getting rare stuff you'd like can be tricky.

GK1":2y9war39 said:
I'm not in collecting distance but if the seller balks at sending them to you he can send them to me in the UK and I'll relay them on at my cost only. PM if you need help. Getting rare stuff you'd like can be tricky.

ya saw that and sent a message. very kind of you . i'll see what he says.

jack
English machines

Mr 613

I do not have any of the tooling you are looking for, but something I do have which I might be tempted to part with for the wadkin temple, is the original adjustable fence from the cc catalogue. I also have the table stands, but it would probably be cheaper for you to cast them in the US than ship, and I may get linched by UK wadkin fanatics for exporting them. (Wallace et al.) At least the fence is in inches, and most of us use mm now. Have you got an AC catalogue/manual?

Nathan

PM sent

nathandavies":3n6seprj said:
Mr 613

I do not have any of the tooling you are looking for, but something I do have which I might be tempted to part with for the wadkin temple, is the original adjustable fence from the cc catalogue. I also have the table stands, but it would probably be cheaper for you to cast them in the US than ship, and I may get linched by UK wadkin fanatics for exporting them. (Wallace et al.) At least the fence is in inches, and most of us use mm now. Have you got an AC catalogue/manual?

Nathan

Whats that Nathan, your allowing sacred items to leave the mother land :evil: I suppose Jack can have them :D I know they will go to a good home

Stupid photos as I had my macro lense on the camera when I took it to the workshop

long shot-001.jpg

8ft plus.jpg

stop closed.jpg

stop open.jpg

Attachments

• long shot-001.jpg
    long shot-001.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 8ft plus.jpg
    8ft plus.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 143
  • stop closed.jpg
    stop closed.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 143
  • stop open.jpg
    stop open.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 143
nathan

that is wonderful. Pm sent

still looking for the the other head I did get the one posted on eBay and he is shipping. Ask around look in the draws there got to be one around,

thanks for the help everyone.

jack
English machines

That photo of the bloke using the portable version looks as though he's mounted is on the nearest trolley he could find and then stuck a B&D Workmate on it as a table! :mrgreen:

Jack have you ever visited Stenner in Tiverton? I knew a guy who started his business career importing Sawmill equipment into Nigeria from there.

If you ever get the chance to visit Nigeria, you can find tons of the stuff, totally neglected and unused, especily around Sapele - ring any bells?

My main interest has always been in pumps and pumping equipment and one day I was poking around a site we were working on, and I found two derelict boilers with "Hathorn Davey" on the manufacturer's plate and then plates carrying MPW No. i and MPW No.2 on them. We then realised that "MPW" meant Ministry of Public Works and by the date (1904), we figured that they were the first heavy plant imported into Nigeria. Made by Hathorn Davey in Leeds (now Sulzer Brothers).

P.S. on a subsequent visit, I found the pumphouse - still with most of the original "lift and force" pumps!

LEEDS not Manchester you bleedin' silly person

Tony

No i have never been to the UK. I fear if i ever did i would fill a container full of the wonderful old kit there.

It had always surprised me that Stenner took the resaw market over Robinson. Stenner being a small concern compared to the Robinson works.

I do have a rare Stenner BL chain chisel mortiser from the 50s when Stenner branched out into the mill shop machery.
they did not build this kit for long but man talk about over building.

here she is punch 1" holes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3uCDK59Qtw

here is the thread with the rebuild
stenner-bl-motiser-chain-chisel-help-pic-heavy-t52093.html

Ps is/was that you that had the trenching head?

jack
English machines

Tony

No i have never been to the UK. I fear if i ever did i would fill a container full of the wonderful old kit there.

It had always surprised me that Stenner took the resaw market over Robinson. Stenner being a small concern compared to the Robinson works.

I do have a rare Stenner BL chain chisel mortiser from the 50s when Stenner branched out into the mill shop machery.
they did not build this kit for long but man talk about over building.

here she is punch 1" holes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3uCDK59Qtw

here is the thread with the rebuild
stenner-bl-motiser-chain-chisel-help-pic-heavy-t52093.html

jack
English machines

tool613":1esnq7di said:
Tony

jack
English machines

No Jack - not me!

My only knowledge about Stenner is that I had a casual friendship with a pretty wealthy guy who lived in the same village in England, and having both spent time in Nigeria, we just got chatting.
He'd gone out there working for one of the major trading companies operating out there and spotted a possibility for Sawmill Machinery and as his Employers weren't very interesting he quit and set up his own operation. Later on, he was approached by a Water Treatment Contractor and set up as middle man for them as well. Made a fortune, owned a large Manor house in the village, but had to spend a certain amount of time outside the U.K. for tax reasons and the last time I heard of him, he wis living in Ghana and spending most oh his time Big-Game fishing.

Back