Stenner BL mortiser chain chisel help Pic Heavy Update Nov 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kirkpoore1":21wfv9rh said:
Nice, Jack. I missed the video first time around. Looks like using that 1" chisel is real work, even with the power assist. Does the head have an integral fan? I noticed your chips are just sitting there.

Kirk

Its not a power feed but thanks.

Ya Kirk the 1" chisel is a bit harder to drive but if set up right not that hard. With the larger chisels it nice to feel how hard and fast you need to drive the bits.the first hole not as fast. You don't see demonstrations of a mortisers with a 1" to full depth for a good reason. It can be embarrassing for the tool makers reputation. You will find that they say it will take up to 1" chisel but we all know that,s sales rubbish.

Yes it has a suck and blow,but you need to flip the brass thumb lever near the head when you change from chain to chisel. I had it on suck in the video but the 1" is tossing a lot of chips b/c of the slots front and back.

jack

tool613":3j5mmbzr said:
Tony
the helical cut pinions are nice. Do you think Stenner used them because they are dry most of there life. and would be less noisy.

when is this type pinions use in machinery as apposed to straight cut?

jack

I think you've answered your own question there!

Slower to wear and develop backlash and less noisy. If you rotate it and look closely you'll see that they always have a good face-to-face engagement, whereas straight cut gears have far less full engagement, the teeth being mainly engaged tooth-to-face. Helical cut will also transmit higher torque.

Typical use is right angle gearboxes, which is effectively what you have there. I'm mainly familiar with them for right angle gearboxes when using diesels (or horizontal electric motors) for driving vertical pumps.

You mention them being mainly dry, which I'm not too sure is a good thing. In theory they would require less lubrication than straight gears (which typically run in an oil bath), but I'd be inclined to give them a light film of grease (but not so much that it gets chucked all over the workshop!)

Bob (9 fingers) is mainly an electrical man, but I'm sure he'll have seen plenty of these in the past.

Anyway, like I said, quality always shows!

tool613":5269r1sp said:
Ya Kirk the 1" chisel is a bit harder to drive but if set up right not that hard. With the larger chisels it nice to feel how hard and fast you need to drive the bits.the first hole not as fast. You don't see demonstrations of a mortisers with a 1" to full depth for a good reason. It can be embarrassing for the tool makers reputation. You will find that they say it will take up to 1" chisel but we all know that,s sales rubbish.

Yes it has a suck and blow,but you need to flip the brass thumb lever near the head when you change from chain to chisel. I had it on suck in the video but the 1" is tossing a lot of chips b/c of the slots front and back.

jack

I have both 7/8" and 1" chisels for my Greenlee, but no bits for them so I haven't tried them out yet. The 1923 catalog says the 227 will handle 1" chisels, but if I try it I'll be proceeding carefully. The 3/4" works great, though.

Given the sheer quantity of chips, I figure blowing them would be better than trying to suck them up. Vacuum ports always have a much smaller effective range than blower nozzles.

Kirk

Kirk

Back