Dado Blades what and where.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a blade for my table saw to cut Finger joints with. I have the Jet JTS-10 Table Saw the blade size is 254mm / 30mm. Do i need a Dado blade and if so can anyone suggest where i can get one that will be suitable for my saw. I will need to make approx 10mm finger joints.

This is not meant to sound harsh but sometimes it's the fastest route to the truth.

10mm router bit, router table, identical set up but loads safer. We are about 50 years ahed of Norm in the Europe - if you need a new guru try Steve Maskery, he will save you time, money and fingers.

My grandads old table saw has a 1/2" thick blade that i found a little scary to use!!! I have only used it for rebating really wouldn't fancy doing crosscuts,that said it actually cut very smoothly for such a heavy blade i think it is about 12". 8)

I got the Freud set off e-bay; cost me about £50. Seems to work well.

Cheers

Karl

matthewwh":3jxkp2na said:
This is not meant to sound harsh but sometimes it's the fastest route to the truth.

10mm router bit, router table, identical set up but loads safer. We are about 50 years ahed of Norm in the Europe - if you need a new guru try Steve Maskery, he will save you time, money and fingers.

i agree with matthew

tother thing is the spindle on the JTS10 long enough to take a dado set anyway ?

hypercurium":1lhac6zf said:
matthewwh":1lhac6zf said:

i agree with matthew

tother thing is the spindle on the JTS10 long enough to take a dado set anyway ?

Though i like my stacked dado, i have to agree with these fellows, the router table is the safer option.

Doug.

Doug B":3qvwzpi9 said:
hypercurium":3qvwzpi9 said:
matthewwh":3qvwzpi9 said:

i agree with matthew

Though i like my stacked dado, i have to agree with these fellows, the router table is the safer option.

Doug.

Yup, gotta echo that.

And No, the arbour (sp?) isn't suitable for a dado anyway.

Just wonderin...

why do people think Dado blades are dangerous?

I've used them for years without a single incident or worry, am i missing something?

matthewwh":dvj58t90 said:

Sorry to buck the trend here but I don't agree. Taking the same safety measures for both procedures there's no problem. Router bits can make quite the mess too.
I have the Delta stack that came with my Unisaw and love it, never had a problem. It's all about planning what your doing, don't understand the dado bashing. Hope this comment doesn't start a war.
Neil

woodsworth":21q01q5a said:
Just wonderin...

I've used them for years without a single incident or worry, am i missing something?

I think it's cos people who don't use them only see Norm using an unguarded dado blade. The simple fact is that if you use alternative guarding suitable to the particular cut you are doing, they are a very useful addition to the woodworkers armoury.

Cheers

Karl

The difference between dado heads and 'normal' blades is similar to the difference between a Pug and a Great Dane.
Neither is more likely to bite than the other, but the Great Dane would do a heck of a lot more damage than the Pug!

Roy.

woodsworth":29agy4ye said:

They`re not, i`ve also use one for years, it`s just the folks who use them when they don`t know what they are doing, that make them dangerous.

neilc":10xfjbi9 said:
Sorry to buck the trend here but I don't agree. Taking the same safety measures for both procedures there's no problem. Router bits can make quite the mess too.

Router bits are self-limiting by nature - they'll make a mess but they won't drag you in.

Very few dado heads are proper limiter tooling so instead of taking loads of bouncing little slashes, there is much more risk of having the offending part dragged into the tool and maimed/crushed/etc.

Still, you do have to have an accident before it matters a jot.

Jake":2c33mnnp said:
Router bits are self-limiting by nature - they'll make a mess but they won't drag you in.
Tell that to Tom's finger... ;)

I agree though, they are big and dscary, but if my saw would accommodate one, and I could guard it properly then I wouldn't have a problem using one.

TrimTheKing":1ievyc5x said:
Jake":1ievyc5x said:

Go and take another look at it - you will see the lacerations are shallow and ranked in a line along his finger like this IIIIIIIIII. That's the effect of the cutter taking the max bite it can, dragging the finger in and forward, but the limiter stepping in to stop the first cut, followed by the next cutter whacking him, limiter etc.

If that had been non-limiter tooling like most dado heads, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have that finger at all. The cutter would bite full depth and then mangle the finger by smashing into whatever is the next obstruction - table slot, whatever.

I agree though, they are big and dscary, but if my saw would accommodate one, and I could guard it properly then I wouldn't have a problem using one.

I'm not scared of them in a pussy cat way, but I'm equally not stupidly macho enough to think that it would make me a bigger braver man to use tooling which would do me more damage than a safer alternative.

I like my fingers/hands, and I don't think I'm immune to accidents. I haven't had any serious ones yet (nearest was kickback on a piece of brass angle which could have taken my block off, but I was standing out of the way). But that doesn't mean I won't. I'm fairly careful usually, but that doesn't mean I won't drop my guard, or slip, whatever, some day, and become one of the statistics. I'd rather have a tale like Wizer's if I do.

Like I suggested, big dogs don't bite more often than little ones, just do more damage when they do bite.

Roy.

Jake":5cpojmr1 said:
TrimTheKing":5cpojmr1 said:
Jake":5cpojmr1 said:

Go and take another look at it - you will see the lacerations are shallow and ranked in a line along his finger like this IIIIIIIIII. That's the effect of the cutter taking the max bite it can, dragging the finger in and forward, but the limiter stepping in to stop the first cut, followed by the next cutter whacking him, limiter etc.

If that had been non-limiter tooling like most dado heads, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have that finger at all. The cutter would bite full depth and then mangle the finger by smashing into whatever is the next obstruction - table slot, whatever.

I'm not scared of them in a pussy cat way, but I'm equally not stupidly macho enough to think that it would make me a bigger braver man to use tooling which would do me more damage than a safer alternative.

I like my fingers/hands, and I don't think I'm immune to accidents. I haven't had any serious ones yet (nearest was kickback on a piece of brass angle which could have taken my block off, but I was standing out of the way). But that doesn't mean I won't. I'm fairly careful usually, but that doesn't mean I won't drop my guard, or slip, whatever, some day, and become one of the statistics. I'd rather have a tale like Wizer's if I do.
FFS Jake, you've managed to read a hell of a lot of inference into 2 sentences I wrote, none of which was actually there!

I don't need to go back and look at it again, I thought the wink was enough to imply humour, sarcasm, whatever...

I was actually agreeing with your original post, but it looks like my placing of the comma makes it look otherwise.

Back