DAB Site Radio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a load of cordless gear which is Milwaukee and very excellent it is too (and cheap from Powertoolmate). The only thing I fancy of late which seems way overpriced is their DAB radio and I figure I can get a Makita DAB 104 with a battery and charger for only a small amount more than just the Milwaukee Radio.

That would then give me access to some of Makitas ecosystem of cordless tools which Milwaukee don't do as well (line trimmer/ chainsaw) etc.

The price of all this brushless cordless stuff is tumbling now but can anyone give me an opinion on the Makita DAB radio or if the Milwaukee is worth the extra?

Site radio's are to be discouraged in all work place's, the distraction can be very dangerous, no responsible site manager will ever allow any radios on site.

Mike

I don't work on site I've got my own place and use for it. I was asking for an opinion on radios not an opinion on worksite safety

I haven't got the makita dab radio but I've got the normal makita site radio. I've also got the dedicated makita Bluetooth speaker for home. That thing is banging !! If the dab is anything like the rest of their audio products, it'll be a decent piece of kit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I agree with MikeJhn. If you're responsible for other people on a wok site (including a workshop) - no radios.

However if you want a DAB radio I dont undertsand why anyone would buy a jobsite one? The radios from the powertool manufacturers are expensive for a couple of reasons.
1. they are built to withstand being mistreated (to a certain extent) and enclosed to prevent dust and water ingress (to an extent)
2. they are designed with quite a bit of amplification to be loud to cover a wide(ish) area

Now, if you're working on your own and you're more likely to look after your kit, then i don't think you need those two things.

You'll find electronics manufacturers rather than power tool manufacturers produce DAB radios far cheaper (and with better audio quality).

I have a sonos speaker in my workshop and if i'm working outside a Pure DAB radio.

Have DAB receivers got any better lately ? Ours (Pure brand I think) went in the skip because it was power hungry and the reception was terrible.

Sheffield Tony":1m9sluzc said:
Have DAB receivers got any better lately ? Ours (Pure brand I think) went in the skip because it was power hungry and the reception was terrible.

Depends what you mean of as lately i think.

DAB broadcasts say 5-10 years ago were 'patchy' because DAB wasn't being broadcast everywhere - that's one of the reasons why they weren't in cars. I'd be almost certain that your issue with the Pure was the signal strength and quality not the radio itself.

The difference is that a transistor will continue to give you a decreasing quality of output as the signal strength and clarity decreases, whereas a digital radio will simply stop if the signal quality drops below a certain threshold level.

Yes they consume more power than a equivalent transistor radio - but battery technology and availability has advanced massively in the last decade, so i doubt you'll complain about the power draw? Although I admit mine almost always runs on the mains, and i dont have any evidence anecdotal or otherwise about battery life on different models.

MikeJhn":2qvhqt78 said:
The Title of your posts says "DAB SITE RADIO".

MIke

Yes they are called Site radios. The ones that use 18v platform to charge up

Brandlin":2b4297ug said:
I agree with MikeJhn. If you're responsible for other people on a wok site (including a workshop) - no radios.

However if you want a DAB radio I dont undertsand why anyone would buy a jobsite one? The radios from the powertool manufacturers are expensive for a couple of reasons.
1. they are built to withstand being mistreated (to a certain extent) and enclosed to prevent dust and water ingress (to an extent)
2. they are designed with quite a bit of amplification to be loud to cover a wide(ish) area

Now, if you're working on your own and you're more likely to look after your kit, then i don't think you need those two things.

You'll find electronics manufacturers rather than power tool manufacturers produce DAB radios far cheaper (and with better audio quality).

I have a sonos speaker in my workshop and if i'm working outside a Pure DAB radio.

Do pure make a rechargeable one?

Selwyn":3k6bfg3v said:
Do pure make a rechargeable one?

Yes. Almost everyone does. Just google "Portable DAB Radio" you'll find hundreds.

Note that pure markets itself as a audiophile company so its products are not at the cheap end of the market. But there are dozens of manufacturers that are. I'm not promoting Pure... that might not be what you want - but i do believe you'll find better quality audio and cheaper than a ruggedised worksite radio from a powertool manufacturer.

I bet pure don't make these though lol

5afb3fb82b886fc9192241b3bdd39f40.jpg

ColeyS1":6loab7gy said:

Of course not.

They dont make cheese and ham toasties or socks either.

Why is that relevant?

The only relevance is that you have a radio you can power by a powertool battery pack. If thats a critical issue then the OP will make that decision. If it isn't then he has a much wider choice to choose from.

I recently got given a Minirig, they're fantastic. 50 hrs battery, 100% UK made (in Bristol), they sound great and are indestructible (well, so far), I just bluetooth it to the phone for radio (or a lead for FM). You can also charge your phone from it. They are £130 and I wouldn't have spent so much on it, but if the one I've got was stolen/lost I would definitely buy another. https://minirigs.co.uk/

Brandlin":2utx8kkq said:
ColeyS1":2utx8kkq said:

Of course not.

They dont make cheese and ham toasties or socks either.

Why is that relevant?

The only relevance is that you have a radio you can power by a powertool battery pack. If thats a critical issue then the OP will make that decision. If it isn't then he has a much wider choice to choose from.
With the greatest of respect, calm down dear. Did you not see the"lol" on the end ?Something made for a domestic household wouldn't be as durable as something designed for site use, which is what he was asking about. I won't comment on this anymore. Jee wizz

I had the Makita DAB, like most site radios it was big & bulky but plenty loud.
I managed somehow to damage the big front knob in transit in the back of the van, so as I work on my own & don’t need the volume, plus I wanted something much smaller I bought the Festool DAB, had it a few months & have been very impressed, worth looking at for the extra features it has particularly if you have a smart phone.

I've got the Makita Dab and can highly recommend it. Easy to setup and use, stores your favourite channels, sounds ok. A fully charged 18v battery will last me 2 working days.

Pete

Paddy Roxburgh":2ziag24o said:
I recently got given a Minirig, they're fantastic. 50 hrs battery, 100% UK made (in Bristol), they sound great and are indestructible (well, so far), I just bluetooth it to the phone for radio (or a lead for FM). You can also charge your phone from it. They are £130 and I wouldn't have spent so much on it, but if the one I've got was stolen/lost I would definitely buy another. https://minirigs.co.uk/

Possibility. But then not sure how much GB a the radio uses over the phone all day

I only have a little experience of DAB and then it varied according to location-doesn't pay to be in a dip.As for the H&S mob deciding site radios are bad for us,thats a new one for me.The usual objection I have found in a workplace is that the PRS parasites insist that a licence has to be bought in spite of us all being able to listen in individual environments without one.Then the beancounters insist on no radios.

To the OP-good luck with your search.Let us know how it goes.

Following this with interest. Had the Makita analogue radio for years, always been fine but heard the station Absolute Radio the other day for the first time and now need a DAB radio. Makita is top of list but only because I have plenty of the batteries.

Doug

Latest posts

Back