Cordless tools - Best Platform To Choose?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon Bosch ProCore and Metabo LiHD are the best batteries.

I've picked up a couple of the ProCore 4Ah packs which are powerful for the size and weight giving great balance on the drill driver and impact plus an 8Ah which delivers real power to the angle grinder and circ saw.

The Fein multimaster is shifting to the Bosch battery platform. That will benefit both companies.

All my tools are corded 110 volt except for the smaller drills and impact drivers that are Makita, by not being tied to a brand of battery I can use any brand that delivers the best for any particulat function. I also want a tool that I can buy once and keep using without being tied to that brands batteries, I have enough issues with printer cartridges and the likes of Hp and Epsom wanting to rob me at every opportunity without the tool manufacturers joining in.

It also has similarities with the camera market in that once you choose a camera you have to use lenses that only fit that brand and so you are tied in, decide to buy another brand because it has features you need and you have an expensive time buying all new lenses.

I have had Makita cordless (but also corded) tools for many years and I can say they are really good.
However, as some other people have said, the 4 or 5ah batteries can be heavy on a drill - in this case just get a couple of the smaller 2ah and you’ll be golden. The 5 or 6ah ones are good on the track saw though!

If as you say, your existing cordless tools are aging and need replacement soon, then I wouldn't use them as a need to stick with that brand, as they'll probably need replacing soon too.

I have a couple of aging Hitachi drill / drill driver, but will be moving to makita when I need to change/replace them.
Used a friend's range of makita and find them more comfortable than dewalt, milwauki and trend, which are the only other brands I've handled.

The best tip above is definitely have range of battery AH sizes, the bigger 5AH ones can be really tiresome on unsupported tools, but likes of tracksaws, lawn mowers etc benefit greatly from them.

Festool are excellent, on 2 conditions, A you can afford them, B, you have a very understanding partner, without B, A dosnt matter, as B would be liable to castrate you in your sleep with said Festool circular saw with blunt, rusty bladen!!!!

Think what you use the tool for. A had a couple of chaps doing some work for me using 4ah Makita tools. One went off with the kit in the van, leaving the other with no tools. I lent him my DeWalt 18v 2ah drill, and an hour later he handed it back saying he would hardly have believed how much less wearing it was to use as it was way, way lighter - it still did what he wanted perfectly well.
The difference being that it needs charging more often - unless you're drilling endless holes in concrete or whatever, that's a good trade off especially if you're getting older and suffering from a bit of arthritis. :D
I've cut loads of firewood with my DeWalt jigsaw - I bought it because I'd already bought the drill with two 2ah batteries (I had a sander, a jigsaw and a drill pack up within six months :( ). I thought initially that I would need higher ah batteries, but it hasn't proved to be - I exhaust one, and by the time I've split and bagged everything up then used the second one the first is ready to go.

+1

I have two makes of drills. The first is not especially relevant, being a 25 year old Panasonic 12v. About 8 years ago, I purchased a second cordless, a Festool C12, which is 10.8v. I value that it is light and sufficient power for most tasks in the workshop.

Festool2.jpg

The battery is only 1.3aH, and I have two of them. One will last weeks. When the battery runs down, I slip in the second.

Festool5.jpg

A couple of years ago I decided to purchase a more powerful drill, one with hammer capacity and power for anything. I found a used Festool TPC 18/4 Quad drive skin (no battery and no charger) in very good condition to a fraction of the new price ...

1668832689839.png

This is a big and heavy drill, and is generally used with large 5.2aH and much larger batteries, which add to the weight. Instead, I paired it with two 3.1aH 18v batteries. These use the same charger as the C12. The result is a much lighter drill, which is comfortable to use in the workshop as well. Even more so when the standard chuck is replaced with the mini CentroTec chuck (in the photo). The TPC ends up weighing about the same as my old Panasonic, which is still going strong and comfortable to use.

In summary, large batteries are not always important. Drop the cost and weight with the size that is really needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1

I have two makes of drills. The first is not especially relevant, being a 25 year old Panasonic 12v. About 8 years ago, I purchased a second cordless, a Festool C12, which is 10.8v. I value that it is light and sufficient power for most tasks in the workshop.

Festool2.jpg

The battery is only 1.3aH, and I have two of them. One will last weeks. When the battery runs down, I slip in the second.

Festool5.jpg

A couple of years ago I decided to purchase a more powerful drill, one with hammer capacity and power for anything. I found a used Festool TPC 18/4 Quad drive skin (no battery and no charger) in very good condition to a fraction of the new price ...

View attachment 147524
This is a big and heavy drill, and is generally used with large 5.2aH and much larger batteries, which add to the weight. Instead, I paired it with two 3.1aH 18v batteries. These use the same charger as the C12. The result is a much lighter drill, which is comfortable to use in the workshop as well. Even more so when the standard chuck is replaced with the mini CentroTec chuck (in the photo). The TPC ends up weighing about the same as my old Panasonic, which is still going strong and comfortable to use.

In summary, large batteries are not always important. Drop the cost and weight with the size that is really needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I have done exactly the same. My last combi drill was an Elu. Having replaced my Elu routers with Festool, I tried the 10.8V Festool drill driver, then a cordless 55mm track saw which also replaces an 80's Elu "floorboard" saw and track, and yesterday I took the plunge and bought the TPC 18/4 basic which I can use with the track saw batteries.

However, as some other people have said, the 4 or 5ah batteries can be heavy on a drill
Batteries are like our brains and need exercising to keep them in top condition so unless you are a heavy tool user then having the smaller Ah batteries means you will charge / discharge more often so exercising them, have a lighter battery and they are cheaper. I brought several 3 Ah makita batteries that were less than half the price of the 4 Ah ones and they last just great for my usage. I think what some people believe is that the larger capacity batteries deliver more power, but the tool will perform just the same and it is only the running time before the battery needs charging that changes.

Last edited:
Batteries are like our brains and need exercising to cheap them in top condition so unless you are a heavy tool user then having the smaller Ah batteries means you will charge / discharge more often so exercising them, have a lighter battery and they are cheaper. I brought several 3 Ah makita batteries that were less than half the price of the 4 Ah ones and they last just great for my usage. I think what some people believe is that the larger capacity batteries deliver more power, but the tool will perform just the same and it is only the running time before the battery needs charging that changes.
Absolutely, I agree. That’s why the big ones go on the likes of track saws, routers, sanders etc. 👍

The thing to look for is the arrangement of the cells.
Take 18V batteries.
They all have 5 cells wired in series 5x3.6v nominal = 18V
The bigger batteries will have two or even 3 strings of 5 wired in parallel.
These will deliver double or triple the current that a single string of 5 cells can achieve, so there is 2 or 3 times as much power available to the tool from these big batteries.
Not all tools can make use of this, but modern high power cordless angle grinder, a circular saw and various other tools absolutely need the big packs to achieve full rated power.
You can almost always figure out from comparing the size of the battery packs in any given brand & range whether you have 1 2 or 3 "layers" of 5 cells.

The "C" rating of the battery is the important part, that is the amount of Amps it is capable of discharging, it's also important for the charging rate, the problem is the cheaper clone LiIon batteries that don't don't give you that information.

Makita all the way, reliable and built like a tank and good prices and range.

Not sure if this has been mentioned above but there is a battery alliance where Metabo, Flex, Maffel and many more are using the same battery pattern. This gives you many options of tools on one battery, Metabo stuff is great quality as well.
I used to have a load of Makita 18v stuff and it was always good and the range is vast.
Now I have some Festool, Metabo 12v drivers and a couple of Makita tools left.

If I had none I would start with Metabo.

Ollie

+1

Festool2.jpg

Festool5.jpg

View attachment 147524

Regards from Perth

Derek
Just to mention those Festool drivers are very small, like child size small.
I tried one and could not get on with it at all because you can't fit your hand between the grip so try one before buying one.
The big one is great though.

Ollie

Ollie, you must have paws like a gorilla! :) I have larger hands, and have plenty of space to hand the C12.

The advantage of the C12 is that it is smallish and light. There is a smaller model yet.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just to mention those Festool drivers are very small, like child size small.
I tried one and could not get on with it at all because you can't fit your hand between the grip so try one before buying one.
The big one is great though.

Ollie

Maybe it was the CXS you tried, they are small but you don't grip it like a normal drill, it's designed to be held higher up. You kind of grip it at the top with your forefinger pointing along the body of the drill and use your middle finger on the trigger. It's not great for drilling but by far my favourite for driving small to medium screws, like all Festool drills the trigger control is sublime.

cxs.jpg

Maybe it was the CXS you tried, they are small but you don't grip it like a normal drill, it's designed to be held higher up. You kind of grip it at the top with your forefinger pointing along the body of the drill and use your middle finger on the trigger. It's not great for drilling but by far my favourite for driving small to medium screws, like all Festool drills the trigger control is sublime.

View attachment 148066
Maybe I was holding it wrong but it was just an ergonomic disaster for me ( though thinking about it maybe I am the ergonomic disaster !!) .
Using the second finger on the trigger would need some training to get the control as accurate.
My trigger finger is a lifetime ahead.

I am not keen on the small Makita ones either.
In the end I bought Metabo 12v powermaxx ones and they are very good.

Ollie

I'm another Makita lxt user. Got onto the platform when I needed a new lawnmower and found a cracking deal on one with 4 3ah batteries and twin fast charger. Then followed up with a Screwfix bargain of hammer drill with two 5ah batteries and I've expanded ever since, the range seems to cover everything I need and at surprisingly reasonable prices in my opinion.

The thing to look for is the arrangement of the cells.
Take 18V batteries.
They all have 5 cells wired in series 5x3.6v nominal = 18V
The bigger batteries will have two or even 3 strings of 5 wired in parallel.
These will deliver double or triple the current that a single string of 5 cells can achieve, so there is 2 or 3 times as much power available to the tool from these big batteries.
Not all tools can make use of this, but modern high power cordless angle grinder, a circular saw and various other tools absolutely need the big packs to achieve full rated power.
You can almost always figure out from comparing the size of the battery packs in any given brand & range whether you have 1 2 or 3 "layers" of 5 cells.
Was just about say thing!
Have the Makki impact wrench if use 3ah i won't get full impact power as 6ah will due to lack of current drive to recover/delivery after each impact.
Recips are an interesting one could apply to some other tools also? watched a video from Project Farm on youtube higher amp batteries cut quicker than low ie 2-3amp but when changed to use the really big Milwauke/DeWalt they make the cut time went back up due to blade was reciprocating so fast the blade could get a fresh purchase on work piece to cut.
Also bigger batteries increase no load spin speed on tools so have more power delivered on job!

I've been using (borrowing) a makita impact and drill twin kit recently, the smaller 10.8v ones, I have to say the drill is somewhat uderwhelming, but the impact does everything I've asked of it, and with a 2ah battery it is superlight. Really notice the difference when working over head.

I don't have a genuine need (or surplus of cash) to add a set of smaller power tools to my kit, but if I were starting again I'd definately consider some smaller kit, maybe the 12v milwaukee fuels.

the CXS you tried, they are small but you don't grip it like a normal drill, it's designed to be held higher up.
An ergonomic disaster like @Ollie78 has said, it just feels wrong and must be designed for people with very odd hands. It is light and compact but not nice to handle or use, Festool also got their mitre saw handle wrong as well. Perhaps the design was led by marketing and not the engineering team.

Back