D&M Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam":2r0xqavs said:
DaveL":2r0xqavs said:
Martin Brown of Brimarc invited me to try out the LV scrub, he did not need to ask twice, I had never used one before. Its magic to use, but then it is one of Rob's toys, I was very strong and managed not to buy one. =P~

Me too, thats a very nice tool - quite an eye opener - I've never used a scrub before :oops:
You and about 90% of UK woodworkers, I'd imagine.

Just out of interest, putting aside normal and perfectly understandable "it's a tool, ergo I want one" considerations, did either of you genuinely feel it was a variety of plane you needed in your workshop? Merely curiosity on my part; indulge me or not, I sharn't mind. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":iv1pm4uo said:
Just out of interest, putting aside normal and perfectly understandable "it's a tool, ergo I want one" considerations, did either of you genuinely feel it was a variety of plane you needed in your workshop? Merely curiosity on my part; indulge me or not, I sharn't mind. :D
If I did not have a planer thicknesser then I think it would have come home with me. :tool:
I was the first person to attack the piece of oak, it was still rough sawn, I soon had a scalloped, level (by eye) surface, ready for one of the many bevel up planes that where calling out to me. =P~ I was even bold enough to adjust the iron, the cut was very thin when I started out and I wanted to try the hogging it off that some of you talk about, it just moved up a gear, not that much harder to push, that curve works a treat.\:D/

I suppose that makes me a Normite, but then I do have the beard and tap tap safety glasses. :norm:

Alf":2e0q6cih said:
Just out of interest, putting aside normal and perfectly understandable "it's a tool, ergo I want one" considerations, did either of you genuinely feel it was a variety of plane you needed in your workshop? Cheers, Alf

Probably a yes from me. Having had two pieces of timber which were larger than the width of my thicknesser, and relatively small, and hence hand thicknessing them and knowing its likely to come up again means I could easily justify it from a working point of view, never mind the "tool gratification" which it would of course satisfy.

Those handles though aren't for me. Martin said they'd had next to no other negative feedback on it - so it must be that everyone else like it - but its too straight and too upright for me.

In reality, what I ought to do is get rid of my next-to-never used #4.5 and that'd cover the cost. Dunno, I'll add it to the christmas list and then you never know - someone might be feeling generous this Xmas! :wink:

Adam

I tried to speak to Andy King, but he was giving personal lessons on window frame construction and I did not want to break the concentration.

Sorry about that Dave!
Just this minute got back from Kempton, so it's nice to be able to type something instead of talk about it like I have been for the last three days!
My throat hurts! [-( :lol:

Andy

andy king":1qnmvbzo said:
I tried to speak to Andy King, but he was giving personal lessons on window frame construction and I did not want to break the concentration.

Sorry about that Dave!

Andy,

Its not a problem, I hope the chap you were explaining how the glazing bars were cut in puts it in to practise. 8)

Thanks for your thoughts, chaps.

Adam":11vr9my4 said:
Those handles though aren't for me. Martin said they'd had next to no other negative feedback on it - so it must be that everyone else like it
Hmm, dunno about that. Plenty of times I've not passed on negative feedback 'cos the bloke on the stand is too big or busy or I've been trying to get a deal. :wink: F'rinstance, I've never yet told the Cliffie boys that the lack of ductile iron has always been what's prevented me from seriously considering one of their planes, but it doesn't make it any less the case.

Cheers, Alf

Well, I went to the show, had a look at the Scheppach 2010 and the kity 419, got to play with both and the boys from NMA seemed very helpful. On balance I think I preferred the 2010, although they seemed very keen to sell me the kity. In the end I got neither since I need to do some saving but may well go next year with the aim of buying if the pennies have mounted up enough.

Ummed and ahhed about getting a router table (main reason for going really), and eventually succummed. Wasnt really a deal as such since the price was identical to that in the D&M catalogue but it saved me the postage I guess. Trend guy was very helpful, seems he was the one who did all the demos rather than a salesman so gave me a nice walkthrough the table and let me have a play. Wouldnt chuck in a free fine height adjuster for my router though so had to buy that as well :roll:

Apart from that managed to avoid buying any books, couldnt find the bargain clearance corner that was mentioned on the website (perhaps they all went Friday?) and found myself wondering just how many cordless drills in the DeWalt range - there seemed to be hundreds on their stand!

Twas the first show I had been to, and to be honest it wasnt as big as I was expecting. Free entry was a bonus and I got to check out what I wanted to go and check out so not too bad, but wouldnt go again unless they had something specific I wanted to try or a couple of models I wanted to compare. The 'deals' didnt seem that good to me, pretty much web shop around prices, so I wouldnt recommend going just on the off chance you will pick up a mega bargain.

Steve.

DaveL":2taie1vc said:
.snip..Had a good chat about cyclones and filters with Barry Burgess and here with his permission, a likeness for the gallery.

Thanks for that Dave. (and Barry) now showing on the horror listing.

Alf":3nekfqj7 said:
Thanks for your thoughts, chaps.

Adam":3nekfqj7 said:
Those handles though aren't for me. Martin said they'd had next to no other negative feedback on it - so it must be that everyone else like it
Well I found the handles OK, but the bench was much too low,:? having built mine using David Charlesworth's guide for the height the standard bench that was on the stand made me stoop. :(
But I did not tell Martin that, he may not ask me to play again.[-( :cry:

DaveL":2wigo9kv said:
Well I found the handles OK, but the bench was much too low,:? having built mine using David Charlesworth's guide for the height the standard bench that was on the stand made me stoop. :(
Yeah, but Dave, you are about 6' aren't you? :roll: Me, I found DC's bench miles too high, but having said which I'm no dwarf (5' 10"). Never in a month of Sundays will an exhibitor's stand have a bench to suit everyone, so I think we can forgive them that. :lol: Although if my Theory of Veritas Plane Design is correct, and high bench owning Normites are the target, it might pay Martin to jack his up a touch. Just a thought, Martin. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Only complaint - the food on offer was like a fairy tale - GRIMM!
Ahh, brings back memories... "You’re like a dose of scabies,
I’ve got you under my skin. You make life a fairy tale... Grimm! "
John Cooper Clarke. The man's a genius!!!

Cheers,
Andy

Back