D.I.Y. tools at Aldi on 22.3.2015.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
A few tools and bits and pieces available at Aldi this coming weekend.

Might pick up one of those Combi tools.

Stooby":mk398l7n said:
How useful does anyone think the bench grinder looks?

@ 120w it's not going to be very powerful.

I bought a similar item with only two discs, coarse and fine, from lidl many years ago and it's still going I just have to feed slowly.

I'd have to say that in general I've been disappointed by stuff from Aldi (including taking a pickaxe to a router) and find their products often worse than useless, although the odd item has been okay or nearly so, whereas I've usually been pleasantly surprised by how good Lidl stuff is.

The bench grinder looks different to the usual offering with it having a brush motor and variable speed the wheels may only be 4" dia so 120 watts may be ok

Ian

I bought a pry bar set from them a couple of years ago - they've been fine for occassional domestic use (as in non-professional, not whilst having a barney with the other half).

Not particularly wood-worky though.

Bench grinder looks like a toy and at 120W most probably is? and if the grinding wheels are 4" bear in mind the peripheral cutting radius. A decent 6" 375w grinder is only about £50 and you can use Norton Blue wheels with it.

The vacuum bags however, at £2.99 might be a very cheap way of laminating up to 1Mtr depending on the reliability of the non-return valve?

David

RossJarvis":1qi10qek said:
I'd have to say that in general I've been disappointed by stuff from Aldi (including taking a pickaxe to a router) and find their products often worse than useless, although the odd item has been okay or nearly so, whereas I've usually been pleasantly surprised by how good Lidl stuff is.

My next door neighbour swears by Lidl stuff. I always tend to miss the deals at both places.

I bought one of the dremel type tools last year. It seems to work Ok although not had much use. It's been really useful on occasions though, when other tools just wouldn't do the job. Also it does a good job of sharpening things like bill hooks and sickles.

I'm glad I bought it. I don't think I would bother with a 4" grinder though.

K

Back