Cutting drip edge in sandstone sill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've bought two 2.1 x 150mm x 150mm new pieces of sandstone which are going to be fitted this weekend as window sills.

It seems sensible to cut a drip edge into the bottom of the sills.

My plan was to buy a stone cutting disk and fit it to a circular saw. Hadn't realised the centres are a different size.

I'm not massively keen on cutting 2.1m worth of joint 20mm from the face of the sill for fear of ballsing it up although this is looking like my only option.

Any ideas? I've only got a few days to sort it.

Scratch a line (marking gauge?) and pick it out with a stone chisel (scutch etc).

Thought as much. I'm quite particular even on the work I'll never ever see again.

Angle grinder it is. Thanks for responding. I might even post a pic.

I've just had some work done on our house by a very experienced and professional builder, which included cutting proper drips in our limestone sills. He did it with a stone cutting disk in an angle grinder. That was of course with the sills in place, but even if you have them out on the bench I think it would still be the quickest way.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice.

I bottled the grinder in the end and used my router and a sacrificial new v groove bit. Came out well. I think the groove is deep enough. Poured water across the top the the sill and it dripped before the groove.

Scaffolding should be up this Friday to fit them :)

Posted an update in my thread on progress.

front-of-house-restoration-t77297-15.html

Thanks

neat answer - just might be worth checking that there isn't a lot of sandstone dust inside your router now! It would make very good grinding paste for the bearings..............

Hello,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure an angle grinder would of 'done the job' but one slip and it would of all been over.

The stone cut surprisingly well at a similar feed rate to oak.

No dust in the router. Once the initial few inches were cut I left the hose pipe behind the router running ever so slightly and the water flowed straight down the channel I was cutting and cooled the router bit. Worked very well. I made the cut in 3 passes and washed any sandstone grit away before continuing.

Thanks

Well, suprise suprise. I came home today to find the scaffolding that was supposed to go up today, hasn't. And the scaffolders not returning my calls.

Is it just me? Every time I relent and bring in a 'tradesman' I get let down. Bloody annoying.

Rant over.

Back